Everything was very vague. No timetable was established for anything. As far as any sort of breakthrough, that was not explained. The Luke Arm is a prosthetic arm connected directly to the patient and it is in use now. Progress is being made with prosthetics but this, for lack of a better term, signal processing device has no present commercial applications. I watched a demonstration of a person who could not walk, walking with the aid of electrical contacts connected to the skin at key points.

"No present commercial applications". And yet Musk is spending money on it along with other private investors. Unless you think Musk is doing it for laughs or just likes attention, he has some financial return in mind.

The Luke arm can be driven by electromyographic signals rather than by reading/decoding brain synapses. This is a far more rudimentary level of control. The closest analog I have seen are people wearing hair nets studded with capacitors which produce a far coarser reading of EEG state. To get a full 3D, spatially resolved map of synapse activity, the microscopic wires used by Neuralink will be needed unless someone comes up with some ultra sensitive tomographic sensor that doesn't occupy a room and weigh a ton.

Doing it for laughs? Where did I write that? Listen to Musk say "this will blow your mind." It never happened during the presentation, unless pigs with implants excites you. Until human trials actually start, and the [hopefully] more complex human mind is engaged, there's nothing now.

The example I gave about a person walking by the use of electrodes attached to the skin was very straightforward. The electrodes fired to tense and relax muscles in the legs at specific times and in a specific order. This was a preprogrammed operation.

Spending money? Yes, of course. I'm looking for all of the promised developments getting completed. Eyesight for the blind was briefly touched on by one member of the technical team but it involved the building of a megapixel camera into a human eye, or a substitute. And so far as I know, something like that does not exist. It would seem the spinal break connector would be a relatively easy job for the device, but no idea when that connector might be built.

I know a little about investors and inventions. Even with lots of money, no one has set a date for Return On Investment. I'll watch this. But I'll only look more after "First human trial of severed spinal cord connector completed" appears. As one example.

Doing it for laughs? Where did I write that? Listen to Musk say "this will blow your mind." It never happened during the presentation, unless pigs with implants excites you. Until human trials actually start, and the [hopefully] more complex human mind is engaged, there's nothing now.

The example I gave about a person walking by the use of electrodes attached to the skin was very straightforward. The electrodes fired to tense and relax muscles in the legs at specific times and in a specific order. This was a preprogrammed operation.

Spending money? Yes, of course. I'm looking for all of the promised developments getting completed. Eyesight for the blind was briefly touched on by one member of the technical team but it involved the building of a megapixel camera into a human eye, or a substitute. And so far as I know, something like that does not exist. It would seem the spinal break connector would be a relatively easy job for the device, but no idea when that connector might be built.

I know a little about investors and inventions. Even with lots of money, no one has set a date for Return On Investment. I'll watch this. But I'll only look more after "First human trial of severed spinal cord connector completed" appears. As one example.

You see no commercial application. You see no date for return on investment. You say you know something about investors. So why won’t you say what you think they are doing by spending money on this (don’t tell me it involves aliens).

Once again, the fine control required to drive muscles can’t be achieved by simple EMG capacitive pickups. That’s why these prosthetics have hit a wall. Various groups are trying to solve this by “mapping the connectome” of synaptic behavior (the Allen Institute is one). This is the crux of what Neuralink is doing. The embedded chip and wires are simply the way to implement what they learn.

Yes data harvesting. And pinpoint carefully targeted public demonstrations.
IMOHO a lot of institutions will pay to get their hands on raw data like that and even more if they can articulate themselves the hardware part...

That should be enough for good money the time being.

Took me a bit to find this video on someone trying to figure out how neurons convert the image on your retina into electrical pulses which then get processed into images by your brain. You can brute force your way through this just by embedding an electrode array over the retina and stimulate the neurons which is how the "Argus" occular implant works.

I haven't seen any further progress from the neuron simulator but it is similar in technique to Neuralink.

IMOHO a lot of institutions will pay to get their hands on raw data like that and even more if they can articulate themselves the hardware part...

Neuralink is not the only way to get brain function data. There have been cases where brain damage has occurred and where the brain did its own rewiring. Bionic eyes and bionic ears are still a ways off. I am glad this technology exists but the promise lays far into the future. I know someone with genetic hearing loss. No amount of brain-machine interface will solve that problem unless the damaged portion of the ears can be replaced with a synthetic version. Perhaps nanoengineering will solve this problem, perhaps not.

If you know where in the brain audio signals are processed and you know how synapses respond to audio inputs from the ear, then a microphone input to a Neuralink chip could stimulate the appropriate synapse behavior in the brain. Only if the brain itself was dysfunctional in the audio processing area would you be unable to do anything unless you could distinguish the process of hearing sounds from the interpretation of it and figure out how to shift the inputs "upstream" in the levels of consciousness.

Neuralink is not the only way to get brain function data. There have been cases where brain damage has occurred and where the brain did its own rewiring. Bionic eyes and bionic ears are still a ways off. I am glad this technology exists but the promise lays far into the future. I know someone with genetic hearing loss. No amount of brain-machine interface will solve that problem unless the damaged portion of the ears can be replaced with a synthetic version. Perhaps nanoengineering will solve this problem, perhaps not.
Yes. But the way Musk do things, it will certainly be massive and rapid, opening vast horizons to source knowledge for research. Samples quality has also all the chance to be good for cash flow won't be presumably a governing factor.

There is also Stentrode from a company in Australia. It has also received FDA approval. It does not involve drilling into the skull, and appears to be further along in terms of delivering something patients can use in the very near future.

View: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1380313600187719682

Monkey plays Pong with his mind

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsCul1sp4hQ

View: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1380315654524301315

First @Neuralink product will enable someone with paralysis to use a smartphone with their mind faster than someone using thumbs

Later versions will be able to shunt signals from Neuralinks in brain to Neuralinks in body motor/sensory neuron clusters, thus enabling, for example, paraplegics to walk again

The device is implanted flush with skull & charges wirelessly, so you look & feel totally normal

View: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1380314485324308482

Q: When are human trials going to begin?

A: Hopefully, later this year

I imagine this could allow gamers to directly play game directly in their mind. the chip runs the game while at the same time provide appropriate tactile feedback according to the gamer's action.

No more controllers are needed.

I imagine this could allow gamers to directly play game directly in their mind. the chip runs the game while at the same time provide appropriate tactile feedback according to the gamer's action.

No more controllers are needed.
Maybe Elon will be pluged in one day, and no more need to tweet with his own hands / fingers, just firing up a tweet by pure volition, thinking about its contents.

A

View: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1518215247630327809

Teslarati: Elon Musk states Neuralink can address morbid obesity: Experts say it’s actually possible

Elon Musk: Certainly physically possible.

We’re working on bridging broken links between brain & body.

Neuralinks in motor & sensory cortex bridging past weak/broken links in neck/spine to Neuralinks in spinal cord should theoretically be able to restore full body functionality.

It is an electronics/mechanical/software engineering problem for the Neuralink device that is similar in complexity level to smart watches (which are not easy!), plus the surgical robot, which is comparable to state-of-the art CNC machines.

No need for AI/ NN/ML quite yet.

If you’ve engineered or manufactured smart watches or phones, please join Neuralink! Your skills are directly applicable.

Question: I lost a grandparent to Alzheimers - how will Neuralink address the loss of memory in the human brain?

Answer: Current generation Neuralinks can help to some degree, but an advanced case of Alzheimers often involves macro degeneration of the brain.

However, Neuralinks should theoretically be able restore almost any functionality lost due *localized* brain damage from stroke or injury.

Musk’s company aims to soon test brain implant in people​

to this day the whole system kinda confuses me. It's really hard for me to understand how this works..... i feel that this will definitley have some sort of military application in the future.... controlling aircraft/vehicles. I don't feel that this would be very wise to do it for the general public. (not that anyone could afford it within the next 10 years) however i do love the idea for paralytics and other conditions applications.

again not sure if this is a wise choice.

Neuralink’s brain chip has been implanted in a human, Elon Musk says

"The first human patient has received a Neuralink brain implant, according to Elon Musk.
The procedure was apparently successful, with Musk saying the individual “is recovering
well” one day after the surgery."

See:

Hmm I remember the disturbing PBS tier documentaries in the mid 00s about the future "World Wide Mind". They tried to make it funny and had a guy playing Aldous Huxley as the cranky cynical guy/comic relief. Very strange. The Huxley family was quite interesting. Julian Huxley, brother of Aldous, was head of the Eugenics Society which later renamed itself the Transhumanist Society after the poisonous reputation eugenics had gotten from the strange and evil stuff done on the disabled and on those considered inferior.

Wait until the brain rejects the damn thing and seizures happens. Charming.
Musk should better take care of his own rapidly decaying brain. The one he uses to tweet right wing garbage related to Boeing.

Back
Top Bottom