Earth-to-Orbit SSTO RLV projects (Martin VTO & Boeing HTO)

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Just came across this very interesting 1978 paper prepared for NASA by General Research Corp. and depicting a great number of hypothetical orbiter designs, including a "Martin VTO" and a "Boeing HTO". I hope they do not appear elsewhere on the forum already. (my search for them brought no results).

The so-called "Martin VTO" is a 249-ft. vertical takeoff/horizontal landing single-stage-to-orbit (SSTO) launch vehicle (first attachment).

The so-called "Boeing HTO" is a 206-ft. horizontal takeoff and landing single-stage-to-orbit (SSTO) launch vehicle (second attachment).

The other designs in the same paper are by GRC (with one by LaRC) and will be depicted in the next post below.

Attachments

• 4-3s.gif
    4-3s.gif
    66.5 KB · Views: 728
  • 4-4s.gif
    4-4s.gif
    50.2 KB · Views: 712
Last edited by a moderator:
Next comes a GRC design for a 239-ft. two-stage vehicle (C).
Like the Martin and the Boeing design, it is all-rocket and sled-assisted.
Like the Boeing design, it is also a horizontal takeoff and landing vehicle.

In parallel with the above three designs, the paper presents three more notional designs:

- a GRC-designed subsonic-staged parallel-lift launch vehicle with single turbojet booster (D)
- an LaRC-designed supersonic-staged parallel-lift launch vehicle with twin booster (E)
- a GRC-designed hypersonic-staged air-breathing two-stage launch vehicle with turbojet plus scramjet booster (F)

The last diagram below recapitulates all six designs.

Attachments

• 1-1s.gif
    1-1s.gif
    33.9 KB · Views: 151
  • 4-8s.gif
    4-8s.gif
    58.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 4-7s.gif
    4-7s.gif
    69.1 KB · Views: 639
  • 4-6s.gif
    4-6s.gif
    60.6 KB · Views: 643
  • 4-5s.gif
    4-5s.gif
    59.3 KB · Views: 667
Interestingly, a seventh design is introduced, which is not on the above diagram, for a GRC-designed subsonic-staged parallel-lift launch vehicle with twin turbojet booster. In the words of the author "the vehicle design (Fig. 4-9) was available only late in this study, and hence is considered only in the cost analyses". However, the paper presents no less than 4 paintings of the same configuration, with large winged boosters hanging under the main wings.

Attachments

• 4-9s.gif
    4-9s.gif
    62.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 0-1s.jpg
    0-1s.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 177
  • 0-2s.jpg
    0-2s.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 160
  • 0-3s.jpg
    0-3s.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 0-4s.jpg
    0-4s.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 156
It would seem to me that the subsonic-staged parallel-lift launch vehicle would be quite a good investment right around now.

This thread is both cool and depressing at the same time.

Stargazer2006, this is your official "Thanks" for finding that document from me :)

It was cross-posted to a thread over at nasaspaceflight.com on the forums. The main concept is the Langley "Spacejet" Launch Vehicle Concept which is one I've been interested in for quite a while.

Found topic here:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=11026.msg103877;topicseen

But again thanks because I hadn't had any economic analysis before this helps a lot.

Randy

RanulfC said:
Stargazer2006, this is your official "Thanks" for finding that document from me :)

Really glad I could be of some help to you!! ;)

Artist's impression of Boeing single-stage-to-orbit (SSTO) spacecraft press photo found on eBay.

Source:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Press-Photo-Boeing-Aerospace-Craft-Drawing-/390448206209?pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item5ae886d181

Attachments

• 4402746.jpg
    4402746.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 152