Early Soviet Moon spacecraft

BESTUZHEV

Su-57 is the best fighter ever built :-)
Reaction score
Hello there.
I just found some new information about the Soviet lunar program. It turns out that there was an intermediate link between "vostok/voskhod" and "soyuz" called "sever" (translated as north), had the indices 5k and 3k. See the first 5 photos. They show: 1 test ship "sever", a kind of Soviet gemini 2. sever 3 upper stage 4 docking of upper stages; then the north docked with the" train " of upper stages. 5 sever is ready to fly around the moon. The flight was planned to be manned. Unfortunately, the program was quickly closed, immediately switching to Soyuz.
Now just about that. The first project of "soyuz" was called soyuz-a. 6 photo - its model (there should still be solar panels, see below). Then it docked with the upper stage soyz-b and went to the moon (7 and 8 photos). Pay attention to the similarity of Shenzhou with this project. Well, as a bonus, I attach the final project of a manned flyby of the moon, 3 variations of the r-56 Yangel rocket and Afanasyev's book "non-light ships", from where I took most of the information. Enjoy

Attachments

• 6964F7B5-78C5-4DB4-8BBA-CEAA67487CAB.jpeg
    6964F7B5-78C5-4DB4-8BBA-CEAA67487CAB.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 71
  • A8AB966F-1CF7-4911-8609-8C7C6649F2B5.jpeg
    A8AB966F-1CF7-4911-8609-8C7C6649F2B5.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 48
  • A096CCA2-1E34-4E92-8365-DD732F5E263F.jpeg
    A096CCA2-1E34-4E92-8365-DD732F5E263F.jpeg
    458.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 080DA5BB-9B9D-4C20-89AC-19BDB1919768.jpeg
    080DA5BB-9B9D-4C20-89AC-19BDB1919768.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 9345A1B0-C663-45B2-99E4-DDD162783CD0.jpeg
    9345A1B0-C663-45B2-99E4-DDD162783CD0.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 53

BESTUZHEV

Reaction score
Afanasiev’s book, if u need help with the translation, ask me or use google translator.

Attachments

• Afanasyev_Igor_Neizvestnye_korabli_-_royallib_ru.pdf
    923.1 KB · Views: 36

BESTUZHEV

Reaction score
all illustrations/models by Aleksandr Shlyadinskyj.

Space Baron

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Hello there.
I just found some new information about the Soviet lunar program. It turns out that there was an intermediate link between "vostok/voskhod" and "soyuz" called "sever" (translated as north), had the indices 5k and 3k. See the first 5 photos. They show: 1 test ship "sever", a kind of Soviet gemini 2. sever 3 upper stage 4 docking of upper stages; then the north docked with the" train " of upper stages. 5 sever is ready to fly around the moon. The flight was planned to be manned. Unfortunately, the program was quickly closed, immediately switching to Soyuz.
Now just about that. The first project of "soyuz" was called soyuz-a. 6 photo - its model (there should still be solar panels, see below). Then it docked with the upper stage soyz-b and went to the moon (7 and 8 photos). Pay attention to the similarity of Shenzhou with this project. Well, as a bonus, I attach the final project of a manned flyby of the moon, 3 variations of the r-56 Yangel rocket and Afanasyev's book "non-light ships", from where I took most of the information. Enjoy
This is a great find and adds some clarity… always looking for more info on Yangel’s plans for the moon… sketches anything thing..

publiusr

The Anti-Proxmire
Reaction score
An R-56 monoblock with nine RD-270s would have been something to see-'the toxic avenger.'

BESTUZHEV

Reaction score
Hello there.
This is a great find and adds some clarity… always looking for more info on Yangel’s plans for the moon… sketches anything thing..

r-56, that was the name of Yangel's rocket, and it existed. Three options were worked out: six-block, four-block and monoblock. We stopped at the monoblock, but then the government said: Korolev works for the media, a man for himself, and who will work for us? Stop worrying about any Moon there, strengthen the defense. However, they took part in the H-1 program. We made Block E for the lunar lander. This is the LC propulsion module, which was supposed to carry out a soft landing on the Moon and launch from it.
They haven't really developed a rocket either. They have been shut down at this stage. And there was no talk about the ship. the r-56 was closed very quickly, there were already a lot of projects.

publiusr

The Anti-Proxmire
Reaction score
Korolev works for TASS…something…Yangal works for us….I can’t remember all of it. He was a lot like Putin or Schriever in the United States…not *really* a space guy. Utkin was of his school and Leonid Kuchma under him, correct?

I think the R-56 was the best HLLV concept of that era.

robunos

You're Mad, You Are.....
Reaction score
Korolev works for TASS…something…Yangal works for us….I can’t remember all of it. He was a lot like Putin or Schriever in the United States…not *really* a space guy. Utkin was of his school and Leonid Kuchma under him, correct?

See HERE :-

'The military had a saying: "Korolev works for TASS, Chelomei makes shit, and Yangel works for us". '

cheers,
Robin.

publiusr

The Anti-Proxmire
Reaction score
Ha!
There is a priceless photo of Chelomei chewing out an underling over at russianspaceweb, if memory serves. I don’t think it was Nikita’s son at least.

BESTUZHEV

Reaction score

See HERE :-

'The military had a saying: "Korolev works for TASS, Chelomei makes shit, and Yangel works for us". '

cheers,
Robin.
Exactly, my friend :) I just decided to translate ot more politely