Early Italian Bombers - The Breda C.C. 20

archipeppe

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
This project was started at the end of '20s along with others Caproni and FIAT proposals for long-range heavy bomber. In particular this all metal aircraft was jointly designed by Gaetano Arturo Crocco (one of the father of Italian Astronautics) and Giulio Costanzi and was flown for the first time in 1929.

The year later was modified with the add of defensive turrets and a more capable bomb bay and briefly serviced for the 62a Squadriglia of the Regia Aeronautica.

Would this bemoth have 4 powerful engines (900/1.000 cv) instead of 3 tiny A 500 (500 cv) and a new nose with a bomber position, it would have easily considered the father of all modern strategic bomber seen later in '30s and '40s.

Instead it was underpowered and its performaces didn't satisfied the RA and it was rapidly forgotten.

Attachments

• Breda CC 20.jpg
    Breda CC 20.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 446
  • Breda CC 20_side view.jpg
    Breda CC 20_side view.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 384
Archipeppe,

Wonderful artwork and story...a real "what if".

It looks like it would have been a nice aircraft to fly given a long enough runway or field.

Do you know how many crew it was designed to carry? 4 perhaps? Pilot / Navigator-Bombadier / Top Gunner / Belly Gunner? It does not look wide enough for a co-pilot.

Another fantastic piece of artwork and a rather exciting-looking aircraft, Archipeppe. You may well grow tired of me praising your talents, but I shall definitely not tire of seeing your masterpieces. Big thank you for sharing this. Any data on it?

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breda_CC.20

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/bww1/cc20.html

Lovely artwork and an interesting story. I can't quite figure out, though, where the seven machine guns and one 25mm cannon were mounted. The turrets appear to carry only single guns.

foiling said:
Another fantastic piece of artwork and a rather exciting-looking aircraft, Archipeppe. You may well grow tired of me praising your talents, but I shall definitely not tire of seeing your masterpieces. Big thank you for sharing this. Any data on it?

Never get tired, I'm glad of your appreciation. :)

Mole said:
I can't quite figure out, though, where the seven machine guns and one 25mm cannon were mounted. The turrets appear to carry only single guns.

Me too.
All the (few) photos show no more than 2 x 7,7 machine guns.

archipeppe said:
Mole said:
I can't quite figure out, though, where the seven machine guns and one 25mm cannon were mounted. The turrets appear to carry only single guns.

Me too.
All the (few) photos show no more than 2 x 7,7 machine guns.
Probably as project was expected to have seven machine guns of 7,7 mm and one cannon of 25 mm.

Another Very nice find Archipeppe!
Saludos
MC72