Early Italian Bombers: the Piaggio P. 50 family

archipeppe

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
In the middle '30s Piaggio Aircraft producer started the production of a long range bomber family, rare event in Italy.
Giovanni Pegna, exploited the P.32 family to have a new four engined bomber, all wooden with liquid cooled push pull engines in a single nacelle (Pegna was someway French design oriented).

In mid 30's Pegna was replaced by the younger Giovanni Casiraghi, eager and American oriented (he was deeply impressed by both Boeing XB-15 and YB-17s), and decided to modify the three Pegna's prototypes (M.M. from 369 to 371) in evolutive fashion. The first one was to be as Pegna designed it, the second one was modified by Casiraghi with radial engines (Piaggio P. XI) arranged as XB-15 and the third one would have the same radial engines but to be all metal instead of wooden construction.

Enclosed the first prototype layout, it was flown for the first time in 1937.

Attachments

• Piaggio P 50 I.jpg
    Piaggio P 50 I.jpg
    502.7 KB · Views: 372
Archipeppe,

Wonderful work of art. Piaggio designs truly beautiful aircraft.

Here there are, the second wooden prototype (MM 370) with the Piaggio PXI radial engines, arranged as Boeing XB-15 and the third prototype, the first all metal (MM 371).

According to various sources Casiraghi intended such last prototype so modified to give him his personal number so become P 108 (even if it wasn't the first P 108B prototype that will fly later).

Attachments

• Piaggio P 50 II.jpg
    Piaggio P 50 II.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 264
  • Piaggio P 108 (50 II metallico).jpg
    Piaggio P 108 (50 II metallico).jpg
    457.7 KB · Views: 254
:eek: :eek: :eek: then piaggio 108 B was development of piaggio 50 II !!!! :eek:
Thanks archibeppe , the line spoiler or streamline ( i don't know which is right term ) from piaggio 50 to 108 , imho, was totally ruined ! :-X

But which performance and technical data had Piaggio 50-I ?
All technical data that i found on web it's about Piaggio 50-II .
Ooopssss !!! :eek: :eek: just found http://www.aviastar.org/air/italy/piaggio_p-50.php

airman said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: then piaggio 108 B was development of piaggio 50 II !!!! :eek:
Thanks archibeppe , the line spoiler or streamline ( i don't know which is right term ) from piaggio 50 to 108 , imho, was totally ruined ! :-X

Yes and not, in the sense that of course Casiraghi exploited Pegna's previous work but also added his personal skill to the P-108B design.
As written before he was strongly impressed by Boeing realization (at certain time Regia Aeronautica seriously considered to have license produced B-17s) and tried to reply it in Italy, more or less the same operation that Roberto Longhi did it with Reggiane fighters.

Mig Eater said:
Perfect timing! I was just looking for a diagram of the P.50 ;D

I've see your works mig eater, I'm eager to see the result of your work about the P-50.

In the middle '30s Piaggio Aircraft producer started the production of a long range bomber family, rare event in Italy.
Giovanni Pegna, exploited the P.32 family to have a new four engined bomber, all wooden with liquid cooled push pull engines in a single nacelle (Pegna was someway French design oriented).

In mid 30's Pegna was replaced by the younger Giovanni Casiraghi, eager and American oriented (he was deeply impressed by both Boeing XB-15 and YB-17s), and decided to modify the three Pegna's prototypes (M.M. from 369 to 371) in evolutive fashion. The first one was to be as Pegna designed it, the second one was modified by Casiraghi with radial engines (Piaggio P. XI) arranged as XB-15 and the third one would have the same radial engines but to be all metal instead of wooden construction.

Enclosed the first prototype layout, it was flown for the first time in 1937.
From the wonderful svvpb blogspot