Drake's Drum

Pirate Pete

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
I'm very pleased to announce that the third volume of Drake's Drum is now available
in paperback and as a kindle.

View attachment 665435
Bought my copy on Kindle (as I also have for the two previous books) and proceeded to eagerly devour the contents.
Superb reading, and a more than worthy successor to the first two books.
Many congratulations Sir.
To say that I now eagerly look forward to the last(?) part of the series would be a MAJOR understatement.

Nick Sumner

Live! From the Belly of the Beast!
Reaction score
I'm very pleased to announce that the third volume of Drake's Drum is now available
in paperback and as a kindle.

View attachment 665435
Bought my copy on Kindle (as I also have for the two previous books) and proceeded to eagerly devour the contents.
Superb reading, and a more than worthy successor to the first two books.
Many congratulations Sir.
To say that I now eagerly look forward to the last(?) part of the series would be a MAJOR understatement.

Thanks Pirate Pete, I'm really glad you enjoyed it!

Nick Sumner

Reaction score
These are Photoshopped images of the FW/Tank 'Fernkampfflugzeug' also known as the Tank Ta 400. The aircraft features in the third part of the Drake's Drum series. Drake's Drum: Currents of Fate.

Ta 400 head on 2.jpg

Ta 400 line trace dummy 2.jpg

Nick Sumner

Reaction score
The ‘Beta’ version of the Luftwaffe appendix has been added to the Drakes Drum website. It is unfinished, but the sections for the issues and aircraft that are most integral to the Drake’s Drum timeline are complete. This includes the most important German strategic bombers, the Messerschmitt Me 364, Heinkel He 274 and the Tank Ta 400. The sections for the Junkers 338 transport aircraft and the DFS 346 supersonic research aircraft are also complete. Updated versions of the Heer, Kriegsmarine and Seeluftsteitkraft appendices have also been uploaded.

These images are Photoshopped

HR record flight 1.jpg

The DFS 346 mounted on its He 274 carrier aircraft. "It is now universally acknowledged that although Commander Eric Brown of the Royal Navy was the first man to break the sound barrier, he was not the first human being to exceed the speed of sound in controlled flight."

Ju 338 marketing.jpg

Top: A Junkers Ju 338B transport aircraft. Above: The Ju 338B was modified from the unsuccessful Ju 338A operated by Lufthansa. "The aircraft was an astonishing technical achievement and was hailed by the Nazi leadership as a triumph of German engineering, but in scarcely more than a year it was withdrawn from service after a string of fatal accidents. There was perhaps an inevitability to the tragedy. The realm above the altitude of 10 kilometres was a region about which very little was known. It is almost certain, that whichever passenger aircraft from whichever nation ventured into the extreme conditions encountered there would meet unforeseen difficulties."

Last edited:

Nick Sumner

Reaction score
Two British aircraft from the Drake's Drum timeline. Top, a Vickers Vindex bomber of the RAAF and below, a Supermarine Spiteful fighter. The Vindex is developed from the long series of large, high altitude bomber designs Vickers completed in 1942 and 43 in OTL and is based on a variant of Scheme 'B' of 14/1/43 a drawing of which can be found in Tony Buttler's BSP 4. The engines are tractor rather than pusher, so the nacelle mounted rear armament has clear firing arcs. The Spiteful is a version of the aircraft with a 'Phoenix' engine, a development of the Vulture with its problems fixed and Merlin (rather than Peregrine) cylinders. (The Vulture had the same crankshaft spacing as a Merlin.) These images are Photoshopped.

3 Vindex final B&W.jpg

3 Spiteful 3.jpg

The ‘Beta’ version of the RAF appendix has been added to the Drakes Drum website. It is unfinished, but the sections for the issues and aircraft that are most integral to the Drake’s Drum timeline are complete. This includes the most important British fighters as well as the Vindex, Spiteful and TTL's Lincoln and Whirlwind. Updated versions of the British Army, RN and Royal Navy Air Arm appendices have also been uploaded.

Archibald

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Was that photoshoped from a Lancaster or a B-24 ? Impressive.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
An RAAF Lancaster.
Seem familiar? ;)

GjGA4d6ozdALEMSve00mMgcAUt8Vzwxe_S-TGyv380ztKGBYtSjELjavugBtjMVv7yRcx-uyTXA0dlP5kaM2ji0hwChk3BNWS2kZI_E_FI1iFhG77E8I0DdyNiXuvxwRxMhmevMiy-pWVtJQ5jN3NQ

Nick Sumner

Reaction score
The first, third and fourth images in this post are Photoshopped

Here are two more aircraft that never flew in our timeline but do in the world of Drake’s Drum.

First the Kawanishi A8K ‘Jinpu’ naval fighter. Originally designed as the J3K/J6K, a development of the N1K2-J ‘Shiden’ the design went through many phases but never entered production. The lower picture shows the mock up. In Drake’s Drum the aircraft enters service in late 1947.

Second, is the Nakajima G10N ‘Fugaku’ long range bomber. In OTL, the Fugaku went through many different design phases, the assumption here is that the design of the ‘Final ‘Z’ plane’ version of the project is frozen in July 1943 and proceeds with modifications (such as the pressurised crew compartment) suggested by the specifications and mission profile. In OTL, no final version of the project has been found but we know that it was cancelled in August 1944.

The basic shape of the aircraft used here is that of the ‘Final Z Plane’ (fifth image) while the nose shape is from a sketch done from memory by Nohara Shigeru, the designer of the pressure cabin of a later version and published in ‘The memory of Fugaku design’ by Susumu Watanabe printed in Aireview Magazine, No.848, May 2014. (Sixth image.) The designation ‘G10N’ was never officially attached to the Nakajima ‘Z’ project.

In Drake’s Drum the Fugaku is used in a raid on Portland, Oregon that has enormous historical impact. The final picture is gun camera footage from an American interceptor.

The Beta version of the IJN Air Arm Appendix is now up at the Drake’s Drum website. A page of photographs from book 3 Drake's Drum: Currents of Fate has also been added.

Jinpu 22 mod.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

G10.jpg

Z-plane b&W.jpg

Fugaku pressurized cabin final design.jpg