Campbell's unpublished book Naval Weapons of World War ONE

Nick Sumner

Live! From the Belly of the Beast!
Reaction score
A manuscript of John Campbell's unpublished book Naval Weapons of World War ONE is in the posession of his sister.

It is unclear as to how complete the manuscript is but we can say for certain that unless Conway Maritime Press can be convinced that they could profit from it it will never see the light of day.

The following was posted by mike1880 on another board:

Conway is currently owned by Anova Books but the URL is still Chrysalis ((www.chrysalisbooks.co.uk/contact.jsp):

Anova Books
151 Freston Road
London W10 6TH
UK
Switchboard: 020 7314 1400 (that's +44 207 314 1400 from outside UK)
Fax: +44 207 314 1594
email websales@anovabooks.com

Marketing and Publicity Manager for Conways:

Komal Patel
Marketing & Publicity Manager
Batsford, Conway & Direct Mail
tel: +44 (0)20 7314 1466
kpatel@anovabooks.com

Please email and/or write to them and encourage them to do something about getting this book published.

There is a book titled "Naval Weapons of World War One" at the following link:

Wonder if the renowed American naval weapons expert Norman Friedman took over the job that Campbell didn't complete and got the book published.

Naval Weapons of World War One, Norman Friedman
Guns, Torpedoes, Mines and ASW Weapons of All Nations: An Illustrated Directory

The book is partly based on work done by John Campbell, the author of an excellent Encyclopaedia of World War II Naval Weapons. He died before the work was published and the surviving sections were eventually passed to Norman Friedman. These were the section on British guns and the larger German guns, and some of that data has survived here. The vast majority of the book has been written by Norman Friedman, a highly respected naval historian.

Source: http://www.historyofwar.org/bookpage/friedmann_naval_weapons_WWI.html

I have a copy of Naval Weapons of World War One by Norman Friedman. I think its well worth the cost.

I have a copy of Naval Weapons of World War One by Norman Friedman. I think its well worth the cost.

I don't regret buying it, but the focus, in the gun section, is very heavily on the guns themselves, there's less on shells than I'd have preferred. You're lucky if the data includes burster weight, and doubly lucky if it gives the type of shell. You're out of luck if you want a full list of shells used and details of their construction.

I bought it in the hope it would have more on shells than Navweaps :)

Back
Top Bottom