Dornier WW I projects and prototypes

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Looked for an existing thread to add the following project, but perhaps it should
be at least a specific one for Dornier.
From Luftfahrt International Nr.12, Nov./Dec. 1975 a Dornier project for a single-seat
fighter with pusher prop and engine in the nose and what must have been quite long
twin-booms (Hello Tophe ! ;) )
The caption says, the drawing was made by R.Otte using the drawings for patent
nr.404 406. Unfortunately no other data or explanations.

Attachments

• Dornier_pusher_fighter_1917.jpg
    Dornier_pusher_fighter_1917.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,005
Hmmmmm.....
The true length of the tail booms isn't shown, and the main
undercarriage looks much too far forwards to allow the tail
to come up on take-off.
Also, unless there's something fancy going on, the propellor
shaft appears to pass *through* the pilot.
Is that fish I can smell??

cheers,
Robin.

Wow!!! Very nice find.

Robin has make a couple of points but the design looks very cool ;)

I've to say very little information is available about all the dornier designs for zeppelin-lindau, for example:
Dornier v1

8628L.jpg

Dornier CLI

zeppelincli_zpsdc0bca78.gif

and I'd love to see a 3d view of the Dornier/Zeppelin Cs.I

8551L.jpg

555elzepelincs1.jpg

the only with a lot of documentation and information seems to be the Dornier D.I

Luis

The mentioned article is about the use of thick airfoil cantilever wings with relatively broad
chord, which were explored especially by the "Aerodynamische Versuchsanstalt Göttingen"
(AVA Göttingen) during the end of WW I. Tried already to find the filed patent, but still yet
without success. Robins objections are valid, my scepticism centers mainly on the reconstruc-
tion. Could imagine, that the proportions of wing, booms and tailplane in the patent
were just taken too literally. Tried to complete the "puzzle" by elongating the broken lines in
the drawing. The position of the prop shaft puzzled me, too, but with a low positioned crank
shaft and probably a reduction gear, the pilot could fit into the cockpit.

Attachments

• Do-pusher.jpg
    Do-pusher.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 118
Jemiba said:
Looked for an existing thread to add the following project, but perhaps it should
be at least a specific one for Dornier.
From Luftfahrt International Nr.12, Nov./Dec. 1975 a Dornier project for a single-seat
fighter with pusher prop and engine in the nose and what must have been quite long
twin-booms (Hello Tophe ! ;) )
The caption says, the drawing was made by R.Otte using the drawings for patent
nr.404 406. Unfortunately no other data or explanations.

My dear Tophe,

you must see this,and thank you my dear Jemiba.

Hi,

here is the early Dornier Do.X design;

http://alternathistory.org.ua/superbombardirovshchik-kaizera-vilgelma

Attachments

• Do X.JPG
    Do X.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 98
Found some information abot the V 1 (posted by Alcides in #2)in Flieger Kalender 2011:
Construction of this single seat pusher engine fighter started in summer 1916 under the designation "V 1",
sometimes referred to as "V I" or "V-1". Powered by a 160 hp Mercedes engine (some sources state it was a 165 hp
Mercedes-Maybach it was a full-metal construction with a length of 7,075m and a span of the upper wing of 10,55m.
Noticeable was the small width of the lower wing of just 0,56 m, compared to 2,20 m of the upper wing. Why still the
pusher layout was chosen, is uncertain, gun synchronizing gear already was common, but maybe Claude Dornier
was more used to design pusher prop aircraft . Flight testing started on 14. October 1916, but the test pilot was
experienced on large flying boats, not on small land planes. This and the need for several modifications led to problems
and a number of "headstands" (see photo _05). The testpilot was changed, the well known Helmut Hirth had agreed to
make the first real maiden flight, which was planned to take place on 13. November 1916 in the presence of a great
number of workers and invited guests. Unfortunately, Helmut Hirth wasn't there in time, so a young officer, Freiherr
v. Haller von Jallerstein volunteered to fly the aircraft. After a very short take-off (as witnesses said), he obviously
encountered sever problems with the height control, the aircraft "pumping" (steeply climbing, until diving nearly vertically)
violently, until the tail hit the ground. The aircraft was totally smashed, instantly killing the pilot. After this tragic event,
the top brass of the army showed no more interest and further development was halted.

Attachments

• Do_V1_05.jpg
    Do_V1_05.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Do_V1_04.jpg
    Do_V1_04.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Do_V1_03.jpg
    Do_V1_03.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Do_V1_02.jpg
    Do_V1_02.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 104
  • Do_V1_01.jpg
    Do_V1_01.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 105
Thank you my dear Jemiba,

and here is the Dornier G I Greif,it was high-wing twin engined 8-10 seat
airliner project,powered by two BMW engines.

http://www.histaviation.com/Dornier_Do_G_I_Greif.html

Attachments

• Do G I Greif.jpg
    Do G I Greif.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 111
Jen great find!!! Fantastic to have information and pictures on one of few pushers from Germany on WWI.

hesham that project is one very interesting for me but I've struggled to find more information than the one on histaviation site.

A little bit more and another 3-view can be found on http://airliner.narod.ru/1project/dornier-g1.htm.
As a summary it is said, that the G-1 was a project for Dorniers first landbased passenger aircraft.
It was a full-metal construction, the engines were placed as near to the centerline, as possible, to
avoid problems with asymmetric thrust in the case of an engine failure.
Data : 2 BMW IIIa engines with 185 hp each, length 12,20 m, span 21,00 m, wing area 80 sqm,
height 3,30 m, take-off weight 3.450 kg, empty weight 2.350 kg, max. speed 180 km/h, cruising
speed 120 km/h, 8 to 10 passengers.
The project wasn't realised, just a model was built.

Attachments

• Dornier_G-1_01.jpg
    Dornier_G-1_01.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 89
Dornier Rs I

Apologies if this type has been mentioned elsewhere, I searched under Zeppelin and Dornier but could but find an entry.

The Zeppelin-Lindau (Dornier) Rs I Riesenflugboat (Giant Flying boat) was Claude Dornier's first flying boat design. Construction on the Rs I was started in January 1915. At the time, it was the world largest aircraft. It was almost entirely made of metal, although it did have fabric covered wings, tail and boat deck. The aircraft was completed and launched onto Lake Constance (Bodensee) in October 1915 but it was destroyed before its first flight following a storm on 21st December 1915.

General characteristics

Engines: 3 x Maybach HS Mb IV (177 kW / 240 hp each)
Wing span: 43.5 m
Length: 19.0 m
Height: 7.2 m
Take-off weight: 9,500 kg

The Dornier Museum in Friedrichschafen, Germany has a model and information board from which the above information was taken.

Attachments

• Zeppelin-Lindau_(Dornier)_RsI_Friedrichshafen_2_Aug_2016)_Model.JPG
    Zeppelin-Lindau_(Dornier)_RsI_Friedrichshafen_2_Aug_2016)_Model.JPG
    279.1 KB · Views: 88
From, Flugzeug Classic 2020-01,

here is early drawing and drawing to D.I.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    117.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 2.png
    2.png
    172.9 KB · Views: 76
So weird,

there were C.I and C.II,and another C.I and C.II ?!.

So weird,

there were C.I and C.II,and another C.I and C.II ?!.

Are you are referring to a doubling of Dornier-designed Zeppelin-Lindau C.Is and C.IIs?

If not, then note that the Zeppelin-Friedrichshafen C.I (Ja) and C.II (Ja) - aka CL.II (Ja) - were designed by Paul Jaray.

Back
Top Bottom