Doak VTOL transports

raravia

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Hello

Crawling through the web I found this jewels. The Doak model 20, and the model 22.

Anyone have more info about them?

Saludos

Attachments

• Doak model 20.jpg
    Doak model 20.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 781
  • Doak model 22.jpg
    Doak model 22.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 731
Wonderful pictures! I'm afraid I do not have any information on the aircraft bu the Model 22 certainly resembles the Bell X-22A.

I have always wondered why the ducted fan VTOL capability never moved forward. It is safe, even gives VTOL aircraft a bit of stealthyness... enclosed rotors reduce aural and radar a bit. Would have worked wonders in urban environments.

Probably designed under the leadership of Bell, but still designated as Bell-Doak designs,
here are two other ducted fan designs, I found in an issue of Flugwelt from the '60s
(sorry, no more precise information about the source )

Attachments

• Bell-Doak-VTOL.jpg
    Bell-Doak-VTOL.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 708
Hi,

The Doak jet VTOL aircraft;
http://www.google.com/patents?id=F9RxAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=Doak+airplane
and Doak Cargo airplane;
http://www.google.com/patents?id=cLNxAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=Doak+airplane
and a Vertical lift cargo aircraft;
http://www.google.com/patents?id=CKBxAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=Doak+airplane

The Doak 20 and Doak 22 were design studies by Doak Aircraft in the late 50's - early 60's. Doak Aircraft went out of business in 1961 and sold their VTOL designs, drawings, data, etc. to Douglas Aircraft. A couple of Doak engineers also went to Douglas. Douglas submitted a proposal to the US Army for an updated Doak Model 16 (which was rejected) , and a proposal to the US Air Force/US Navy, in competition with Bell Aircraft, for a 4-duct transport similar to the Doak Model 22. Although the Doak submission was superior in most respects and Doak had actual flight test experience with a 2-Duct VTOL airplane, Bell received the contract for the X-22. (I was involved in the desigh of the Doak 16 and ran the flight test program.)

We really have another jevel person here, we are glad that you have decided to join us!

EXDOAK said:
The Doak 20 and Doak 22 were design studies by Doak Aircraft in the late 50's - early 60's. Doak Aircraft went out of business in 1961 and sold their VTOL designs, drawings, data, etc. to Douglas Aircraft. A couple of Doak engineers also went to Douglas. Douglas submitted a proposal to the US Army for an updated Doak Model 16 (which was rejected) , and a proposal to the US Air Force/US Navy, in competition with Bell Aircraft, for a 4-duct transport similar to the Doak Model 22. Although the Doak submission was superior in most respects and Doak had actual flight test experience with a 2-Duct VTOL airplane, Bell received the contract for the X-22. (I was involved in the desigh of the Doak 16 and ran the flight test program.)

I hope I am not the only one here who would welcome any information you are willing to pass along about the development of the Doak 16 program. This is an area of American aerospace history that never gets enough attention. It is great to see you here.

Doak's designs became associated with Douglas at some point. Here are two Doak VTOL transport patent designs, the first of which is clearly associated with Douglas.

Attachments

• Doak 1961.JPG
    Doak 1961.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 461
  • Doak.jpg
    Doak.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 460
Hi,

the upper artist drawing is for Doak;

http://asc.army.mil/docs/pubs/alt/archives/1961/Feb_1961.PDF

Attachments

• Doak.png
    Doak.png
    535.9 KB · Views: 151
hesham said:
the upper artist drawing is for Doak;

Says who? It certainly doesn't say so in the article. The way you constantly jump to hasty conclusions is irritating.

This is described as an "artist's conception" and may not correspond to any actual project, but rather is inspired by technical solutions found in the various projects and patents of the time. I haven't seen any known design/patent by Doak that would correspond to this painting. The closest I found is a Bell-Doak design of similar configuration, but looking rather different.

hesham said:
My dear Skyblazer,
please see reply # 2.

Precisely. That's the one I'm talking about. It's a four ducted engine transport by Bell-Doak, as I said, but it doesn't mean it's the same thing. To me they look like different designs with similar configurations.

Doak Model 16 metal model

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-16-VZ-4-D-Doak-US-Army-Airplane-Desk-Metal-Model-RARE-Model-airplane-/182246306881?hash=item2a6eb9f441:g:LQUAAOSw-itXs9Ou

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 104
  • s-l16010.jpg
    s-l16010.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 109
Re: Doak Model 16 metal model

This is what the model used to look like, when complete:

Attachments

• Doak 16 sml.jpg
    Doak 16 sml.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 131
Probably designed under the leadership of Bell, but still designated as Bell-Doak designs,
here are two other ducted fan designs, I found in an issue of Flugwelt from the '60s

From Ailes 19/5/1956,a larger drawing view.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    241.3 KB · Views: 109
I wonder if there is a connection with this late 1970s/1980s ICBM carrier concept:
8-png.613656

(h/t hesham)

From Silencer1's video,

here is some Doak aircraft and Projects,included Model-13.

Attachments

• D-1.png
    D-1.png
    232.6 KB · Views: 88
  • D-2.png
    D-2.png
    232.7 KB · Views: 95
  • D-3.png
    D-3.png
    721.6 KB · Views: 99
  • D-4.png
    D-4.png
    683.2 KB · Views: 91
  • D-5.png
    D-5.png
    107.3 KB · Views: 87
  • D-7.png
    D-7.png
    289.6 KB · Views: 125
  • D-8.png
    D-8.png
    541.9 KB · Views: 135
Wonderful pictures! I'm afraid I do not have any information on the aircraft bu the Model 22 certainly resembles the Bell X-22A.

I have always wondered why the ducted fan VTOL capability never moved forward. It is safe, even gives VTOL aircraft a bit of stealthyness... enclosed rotors reduce aural and radar a bit. Would have worked wonders in urban environments.
Very complex mechanism's, lots of moving parts. Safe? not much of a glide ratio if fans fail.

The aircraft with the caption "Bild 22" is the Bell Ducted Fan Transport, while the machine captioned "Bild 23" is the Bell D-181 (see page about Bell ducted-fan transport designs). Therefore, both designs were Bell proposals, with no input from Doak.

From Bernard Collection,

they mentioned Doak Model-18,without any details.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 24
Back
Top Bottom