Dewoitine D.660 project from 1935

Castello was born in Agres (Alicante) in 1906 and moved to France in 1917.

Robert Castelló nació en Agres (Alicante), un pequeño pueblo de la Sierra Mariola, el 7 de junio de 1906. Fue el mayor de dos hermanos. Sus padres, Vicente Ramón e Isabel, como muchas otras familias de la montaña alicantina en aquella época, buscarán en la emigración la salida a una situación de pobreza determinada por las escasas posibilidades de la agricultura de montaña, primero a Barcelona, donde el padre trabajará en la industria textil. La inesperada muerte de su esposa en 1912 llevará al padre de Robert Castello, preocupado con la crianza de sus hijos, a contraer segundas nupcias con Mercedes, hermana de su primera esposa, pero esta morirá también, en 1915, y Vicente Ramón Castelló tomará la decisión de emigrar a Francia, en 1917, pensando en las posibilidades de trabajo que al padre de familia le ofrece una industria de guerra –son los años centrales de la I Guerra Mundial– que necesita desesperadamente mano de obra ya que la inmensa mayoría de los hombres franceses en edad productiva se encuentra combatiendo en las trincheras.

Stargazer2006 said:

BUT... were the Corsicans REAL Italians? ::)

Ideed they were:

The Genoese took possession of the island in 1347, and governed it until 1729 – interrupted only by a brief occupation by forces of aFranco-Ottoman alliance in the Invasion of Corsica (1553) .In 1729 the Corsican Revolution for independence began. After 26 years of struggle against the Republic of Genoa, the independentCorsican Republic was formed in 1755 under the leadership of Pasquale Paoli and remained sovereign until 1769 when it wasconquered by France. The first Corsican Constitution was written in Italian (the language of culture in Corsica until the end of the 19th century) by Paoli. He proclaimed that Italian was the official language of Corsica.
The Corsican Republic was unable to eject the Genoese from the major coastal bodies. Following French losses in the Seven Years War, Corsica was purchased by France from the Republic of Genoa in 1764. After an announcement and brief war in 1768–69 Corsican resistance was largely ended at the Battle of Ponte Novu. Despite triggering the Corsican Crisis in Britain, whose government gave secret aid, no foreign military support came for the Corsicans. Corsica was incorporated into France in 1770, marking the end of Corsican sovereignty. However, nationalist feelings still ran high.

From Wikepdia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corsica

archipeppe said:
However, nationalist feelings still ran high.

And they still do. We still get the occasional bombing and assassination in the news.

Please gentlemen prevent this topic to enter into the political arena. Additional posts about origins & nationalism would be deleted and the topic closed.
There are many political fora in the net but there's only one for unbuilt projects. Keep it excellent.

pometablava said:
Please gentlemen prevent this topic to enter into the political arena. Additional posts about origins & nationalism would be deleted and the topic closed.
There are many political fora in the net but there's only one for unbuilt projects. Keep it excellent.

Aye Aye Sir.

EDIT: Well oops, sorry stargazer

Here is a pic of the D550/551 (not sure which) at Toulouse circa 1945. The two models (windtunnel?) on display are a mystery to me. I'm guessing dewoitine, but I have no idea of their origin. For good measure the second pic i of the 550 racer - just so this post can contribute something semi-relevant.

Attachments

• dewoitine.jpg
    dewoitine.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 870
  • Dewoitine550.jpg
    Dewoitine550.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 393