Dewoitine bomber projects

Apophenia

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Pepe Rezende said:
It seems the Dewoitine entry at the same contest.

Very interesting. I wasn't aware that Dewoitine had prepared a design to meet Programme Technique A20. Do you know which design number?

The only Dewoitine 'bomber' I can think of was the D.770/D.771 but that was to another 1937 Programme Technique, A51 for an AB2 or Assaut Bombardement.

Other 4-engined bombers developed at that time were the Centre NC.223 (not sure to which requirement) and the Bloch MB-135 and Breguet Bre 482 (both to Programme Technique A21 for a 4-place medium bomber). No doubt I'm forgetting others.

Hi

Apophenia said:
(...)
Very interesting. I wasn't aware that Dewoitine had prepared a design to meet Programme Technique A20. Do you know which design number?
(...)

D.800 :

Length : 20,15 m
envergure : 29,81 m
engines : 4 x 1030 hp Hispano-Suiza 14AA-08
weight empty : 10898 kg
weight max : 18391-18666 kg
speed max : 457 km/h (5000 m)

90% of a 1/1 scale model was built. But because of the problems with the Hispano-Suiza 14AA engines, (Dewoitine asked Gnôme-Rhône 14 N engines with similar power, but the government wanted to allow only less powerful engines for the D-800) Dewoitine stopped the project.

For the A21 programme, Dewoitine had the following projects :

D.810 : with two engines (G&N 14P, 18L or 18P were foreseen)
D.820 : with four 860 hp H-S 12 Ydrs engines (22,71 x 13,32 m / 6 262 - 11 012 kg / 535 km/h (4000 m))
D.821 : with four 660 hp G&N 14 M6/7

Source : LES AVIONS DEWOITINE Raymond Danel et Jean Cuny, DOCAVIA / Editions Larivière 1982 (p. 239 to 242)

Apophenia said:
Cheers Deltafan -- great stuff on the D.800 series. Any images in LES AVIONS DEWOITINE?
(...)

Yes, the D-800 in LES AVIONS DEWOITINE and the D-820 in LEO 45, AMIOT 350 ET AUTRES B4 of Cuny and Danel too. But i have problems with my computer. I will try to give the two drawings later.

"Did AFM give any powerplant details?"

Four Hispano Suiza 12Y in two tandem groups, driving contra props.

Jemiba said:
Four Hispano Suiza 12Y in two tandem groups, driving contra props.

Wow! I wouldn't have thought that there was space. Clever way to get contra props without complicated gearing, though.

Thanks Jens!

Deltafan said:
Apophenia said:
Cheers Deltafan -- great stuff on the D.800 series. Any images in LES AVIONS DEWOITINE?
(...)

Yes, the D-800 in LES AVIONS DEWOITINE and the D-820 in LEO 45, AMIOT 350 ET AUTRES B4 of Cuny and Danel too. But i have problems with my computer. I will try to give the two drawings later.

Well, i did not forget ;D
It seems that tonight my connexion goes good. I try to give the two drawings (i hope that they will stay... :-\)
Can somebody says to me if he can see the drawings ? :)

D-800.jpg

D-820.jpg

All fine..."Loud and clear" thanks.

HI ALL
From an old "aviation magazine"
who know more about the Dewoitine d 660 project
for a fast bomber dated 1935 ?

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 334
Looks like it it might have been another victim of the (government inspired) chaos the French aviation industry was in at the time.

AdlA's Spec. of May,1938 was issued, inter alia, to Consolidated. Payload/range could either: o'erleap the Siegfried Line...or hit Baku from Syria. Some US/UK writers have the sense that after Austrian Anschluss politicians despaired of sourcing a heavy bomber locally, because many Frenchmen feared Fascism and enthused for Bolshevism-as-its-counter, while many held quite the reciprocal position. See the schisms in France caused by the Spanish Civil War. Neither half could be relied upon to build a bomber which could be used against "our" side, so the job went to LB-30, later adapted/adopted by USAAC as B-24.

Could French posters speak to this, please.

Thank you. Revisionist UK historians defend Appeasement as policy to divert Fascists eastwards. PM Baldwin, 29/7/36: “If there is any fighting in Europe to be done I should like to see the Bolshies and the Nazis doing it” H.M-Hyde,Br.Air Policy Between the Wars,Heinemann,1976,P389. He was speaking to a group of MPs inc. Churchill, and J.Moore-Brabazon, who was sacked as Minister of Aircraft Production, 2/42, for saying: “it suits us” that USSR was doing most of the dying.