De Schelde Aircraft Projects and Prototypes

hesham said:
hesham said:
Hi,

from the member Toon of Airwarfareforum site;
http://www.airwarfareforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9374
who know that bomber ?.

As I remember,

this Project was called De Schelde tekening or Drawing-1068,as wrote on its fuselage,
it was not registered number,who can confirm on this ?.

As I expected before,it was Drawing No.1068.

http://www.nederlandseluchtvaart.nl/forums/showthread.php?40190-Pander-S-4-de-pechjager

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 280
Think not...

1068 is a phantasy military registration on the fuselage of this design.
It is not sure if it was a development of the Postjager...

It could be De Schelde's entry in a late 30's jachtkruiser competition for the Dutch MLA.

My dear Lark,

as I read from long time ago,this was a drawing-1068,but I think we can called it
Ontwerp 68,that's near to sense.

There's simply not enough information to identify the military Postjager as Ontwerp 68, or drawing-1068. The number 1068 might have been random, a fantasy number.

My dear Arjen,

I want only to check,and then tell you what is the truth.

From Ailes 29/9/1961,

here is a two airplanes designed by Societe Royale de Constructions et de Machines de l'Escaut,they created
a pusher biplane and a pusher flying boat,I never heard about them before,maybe a Projects ?, and they called
Mouette & Moineau.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    239.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 2.png
    2.png
    251 KB · Views: 65
  • Les_Ailes___journal_hebdomadaire_[...]_bpt6k3201033r_15.jpeg
    Les_Ailes___journal_hebdomadaire_[...]_bpt6k3201033r_15.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 108
Those are Theo Slot's pre-war De Schelde Scheldemusch (= Moineau in French) and Scheldemeeuw (= Mouette in French). As you'll note, they feature in an 'all our yesterdays' column in Les Ailes of 1961, the original piece having been published there twenty five years earlier. I don't know of SRCME but if it was a French company maybe it acquired or intended to acquire a licence for their production (as did Robert Doig's Aircraft Constructions Ltd. in the UK - q.v. http://sussexhistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13748.0) - although I suspect that SRCME is simply a French translation of the name of the NV Koninklijke Maatschappij De Schelde, the manufacturer of the Scheldemusch and Scheldemeeuw.

Last edited:
This page is from the 29th September 1961 issue #1845 of Les Ailes. The article starts with Le 1er Octobre 1936, on lisait dans Les Ailes... - this translates to On the 1st of October 1936, one could read in Les Ailes... .
Societe Royale de Constructions et de Machines de l'Escaut is French for Koninklijke Maatschappij De Schelde. This company started life as a shipbuilding company, for a while also building aircraft. As avion ancien remarks, these are indeed Theo Slot's Scheldemusch and Scheldemeeuw, presented as a retrospective of something published 25 years earlier. Theo Slot was a Dutchman working for a Dutch company, so these drawings are in the wrong thread.

Also in my files,

De Schelde had a Project for two-seat biplane light transport,no more details are
known.

my try of a Translation

in consultation with Ir. Broeze from city Delft
the Aircraft has Sleeping quarters in Fuselage and Salons in the wings....
Very remarkable Design by De Schelde for a gigant Waterplane with retractable floater
the passergers sitting in Double Tail with allot windows
the one Design has three contra propellors, the ohter four..

the upper right stands
De Schelde
department Aircraft construction
Tee? no Jae.4302

the last look more like code either
Teek or Teck could be short for „tekening Jae.4302“ dutch for drawing

Last edited:
De Schelde S.21 was known of in the USA during WW2, but inaccurately described as a German design.

Attachments

• SKM_C300i20092006550fw189.pdf
    154.8 KB · Views: 32
Hi,

who know that bomber ?.
On the left engine gondola the name Schelde II is painted.
In smuch smaller letters the name Vlissingen (Flushing)
Found this info wile enlarging a pic. of this plane in the 'De Schelde vliegtuigen' volume
of the Nederlandse Vliegtuig Encyclopedie-Hugo Hooftman.

Hi,

who know that bomber ?.
Found this info wile enlarging a pic. of this plane in the 'De Schelde vliegtuigen' volume

Nice Info my dear Lark,

but they were very close to each other ?.

Hi,

who know that bomber ?.

Nice Info my dear Lark,

but they were very close to each other ?.

There is only a suprificial resemblence between both designs.
The Fokker CC.III is from the beginning of 1934
It was the last design in the CC luchtkruiser series.
(maandblad Luchtvaart Nr1 Jan.1994)

The Schelde modelphoto dates from Febr.1935, before the Dutch national orange triangles came in use.
(one source mentions 5.2'39)
The design shows a clear influence of the Pander S.4 and the Pander S.4 Militair.
It seems to be the Schelde entry for the 'Jachtkruiser 1939/1934 competion.
(Nederlandse Vliegtuig Encl. Pander S Postjager & Luchtvaartkennis. /2001

There is only a suprificial resemblence between both designs.
The Fokker CC.III is from the beginning of 1934
It was the last design in the CC luchtkruiser series.
(maandblad Luchtvaart Nr1 Jan.1994)

The Schelde modelphoto dates from Febr.1935, before the Dutch national orange triangles came in use.
(one source mentions 5.2'39)
The design shows a clear influence of the Pander S.4 and the Pander S.4 Militair.
It seems to be the Schelde entry for the 'Jachtkruiser 1939/1934 competion.
(Nederlandse Vliegtuig Encl. Pander S Postjager & Luchtvaartkennis. /2001

Thank you my dear Lark,

and as I remember,that De Schelde use the series number for its designation,and may be began with number 1 to 76,so the 1068 meant as I suggest,Ontwerp 68,because also another company called its designs with
10XX and sometimes XX only without the thousand number

I'm confused by this notion of an 'Ontwerp 68'.

I understand that this is a purported contraction from a drawing numbered 1068. But I can find no mention of any 'tekening 1068' (neither of the scans posted by Nederlandse Luchtvaart forum member Jan Grisnich from the link in reply #41 mention such a drawing number). So where did this come from?

Am I missing something. Or are 'Ontwerp 68' and 'tekening 1068' both entirely speculative?

According to the late Hugo Hooftman '1068' on the fuselage
of the Schelde model was imagination .He refers to a person
with the Dutch name Dirk. No further info found yet.

P.S : in my nr.61 post it must be the 1939/40 competition...

My dears,

in Reply # 32,I spoke about Ontwerp 76,and in a source,but I don't
remember it now,also called Ontwerp 1076 ?!.

Last edited:
So it was flown just before the Nasty Germans invaded?

The prototype De Schelde S.20 was just completed before German occupation in June [sic] 1940. It was designed as a trainer for KLM & the military. It first flew on March the 29th 1940 and showed good performance & stability. Sadly the flying could not continue for long. The aircraft was hidden from the Germans in a hanger under some junk. It was finally discovered in June 1941 but was badly damaged by resistance fighters and never flew again.

-- https://theaviationanorak.blogspot.com/2011/08/de-schelde-s20.html

Last edited:
The Netherlands surrendered to Germany on 15 May 1940.

The S.20's first flight was on 29 March 1940, from the airfield at Souburg. It passed into German hands, moved to Feldluftpark Holland at Soesterberg and was probably dismantled some time later in Utrecht.
Data from N.V. Koninklijke Maatschappij "De Schelde" - Afdeling Vliegtuigbouw by Pieter van Wijngaarden, Uitgeverij Wiel Eijdens, 2014.

Last edited: