de Havilland Canada Transport Projects

boxkite

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Is anybody familiar with DeHavilland of Canada concepts? This is a STOL interurban commuter airliner, shown in Air Progress July 1968 without designation or specification? Maybe NASA was involved to create the basics for this design ...

Attachments

• DHC und--oder NASA (STOL-Projekt).GIF
    DHC und--oder NASA (STOL-Projekt).GIF
    59.7 KB · Views: 929
  • DHC und--oder NASA (STOL-Projekt).JPG
    DHC und--oder NASA (STOL-Projekt).JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 745
In Aviation Week 3/68 an augmentor wing concept is shown, for which a
DHC-5 should be used as a test bed (shown). A model with this system was
tested in the Ames Research center. This model was just intended as a proof-
of concept demonstrator and the "real thing" would have had podded engines,
with a crossfeed for bleed air to the augmentor flaps. Maybe that's the origin
of this project ?

Attachments

• DHC_augmentor_wing_01.JPG
    DHC_augmentor_wing_01.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 695
  • DHC_augmentor_wing_02.JPG
    DHC_augmentor_wing_02.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 701
boxkite said:
Is anybody familiar with DeHavilland of Canada concepts? This is a STOL interurban commuter airliner, shown in Air Progress July 1968 without designation or specification? Maybe NASA was involved to create the basics for this design ...

This looks very similar to a DeHavilland Canada project from the mid-70s. The main difference is tha the mid-70s proposal had Spey turbofan engines with bifuricated exhausts, much like the Medways proposed for the HS.681. This allowed the landing gear to be stowed in the engine nacelles!

The planned engine and ducting arrangement is shown in
this article, too. The engines would have been installed in
nacelles and not in the fuselage, as the wind tunnel model
may suggest.

Attachments

• installation_1.JPG
    installation_1.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 646
  • installation_2.JPG
    installation_2.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 174
  • installation_3.JPG
    installation_3.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 194
This de Havilland Canada supplied illustration is from the August 1976 edition of Air International.

The DHP-72 was intended to carry a 20,000lb payload over 700 nautical miles at a Mach .80 cruising speed.

Spey turbofans were used for both vectored trust and wing blowing, but the twin, vectored exhaust nozzles resemble the thrust vectoring arrangement of the Medway powered AW681. It is interested that this bifurcated exhaust arrangement allows the main landing gear to be stowed in the engine nacelles.

Attachments

• DHP-72STOL.jpg
    DHP-72STOL.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 481
FLUG REVUE issue from September 1970 reported on a 100-seat STOL airliner De Havilland of Canada DHC-11, but the author missed to add an artwork or drawing. Did another magazine a better job publishing any illustration?

Think 'Flight Internatonal' did.
Have to look for it...

From an "Aviation Magazine" of may 1971,a 3 views without any name of a STOL projected by De Havilland Canada .
4x RR Spey ,most of the cold gaz going out of the motors going trough pipes to blowthe "flaps" ;(Sorry ,my tailor is rich ,but my dictionnary poor )
span 39m ; length 37,5m

Attachments

• DHC.jpg
    DHC.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 431
...you speak about the DHC.11, there must be also the DHC.9 and DHC.10!
Anyone knows this projects?

Servus Maveric

you speak about the DHC.11, there must be also the DHC.9 and DHC.10

It would make sense, but there is no mention of "predecessors" in this designation line/row :( .

IIRC, DHC-10 was the type number for licence-built Grumman CS-2F-1 Trackers (later CP-121s, now mostly converted to Conair Firecat or Turbo-Firecat standard).

There is also a cryptic ref to a DHC-10 at http://marchairmuseum.com/rouen10.php

"2745 UV- DeHavilland Canada (F) 19xx DHC-10 Canada"

The UV designation suggests that this may have been a DHC-5 successor study.

I mention this possibility because the DHC-9 was the Twin Otter follow-on designation.

Hi,

and here is unknown Canada STOL aircraft.
http://www.flightglobal.com/PDFArchive/View/1975/1975%20-%200602.html

Attachments

• Canadair STOL.JPG
    Canadair STOL.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 302
Hesham,

That three-engined DeHavilland Canada design is the civil version of the DHP-72.

The civil DHP-72 was to have with a third, hush-kitted Rolls-Royce Spey in the tail. This third engine would be propusion only (whereas the wing engines would remain dual flap blowing and vectoring propusion). The civil aircraft also had a refined fuselage (without the rear loading ramp, obviously). The wings and tailplane would be essentially the same as the ramped military version to be developed for Canada and Australia.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=da302984a75066a70bb923add62dd39a&topic=1629.0

I could be wrong, but I don't think I've seen the following project before.

It's described as a 1979 project, the de Havilland Canada Dash X by TsAGI's Tekhnicheskaya Informatsiya (No.2, 1984), which I suppose indicates that it must have been the DHC-10 in the company's designations sequence. If it's already somewhere on the forum, sorry about it, but I wasn't able to find it...

If there isn't already a mention of this project elsewhere, however, I suggest that this topic be renamed as "Various de Havilland Canada projects" since there are already several different types tackled here. Thanks!

Attachments

• DHC Dash X.gif
    DHC Dash X.gif
    76.8 KB · Views: 274
Sorry I don't have details, but I do know that in about 1980 to 1983 the DHC projects group was working on a number of high wing jet powered transports, military and civil, with and without augmenter wing. They were also working on a pressurized Buffalo (DHC-5) with a rounded fuselage but basically unchanged wing and power plants. I have never seen any drawings of these, just know them from lunch time conversations with people working on the projects. I was working on Dash 8 wing structure at the time.

Bill Walker said:
Sorry I don't have details, but I do know that in about 1980 to 1983 the DHC projects group was working on a number of high wing jet powered transports, military and civil, with and without augmenter wing. They were also working on a pressurized Buffalo (DHC-5) with a rounded fuselage but basically unchanged wing and power plants. I have never seen any drawings of these, just know them from lunch time conversations with people working on the projects. I was working on Dash 8 wing structure at the time.

Thanks Bill. We have topics on the DHC-11 (http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2886.0) and the similar DHP-72 (http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1629.0) which probably correspond to the high-wing projects you're mentioning, and probably also the first one in this page. Perhaps some merging would be profitable here? I'm leaving it with the mods to decide.

Apophenia said:
I mention this possibility because the DHC-9 was the Twin Otter follow-on designation.

My dear Apophenia,

maybe this one was the DHC-9 ?.

Air Pictorial 10/1956

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    164.4 KB · Views: 645
Hi,

here is two DHC transport aircraft projects,one of them had a tilt-wing configuration.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a124264.pdf

Attachments

• DHC transport.png
    DHC transport.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 527
  • DHC transport-2.png
    DHC transport-2.png
    42 KB · Views: 513
Hi,

the DHP-72;

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/761972.pdf

Attachments

• DH-4.png
    DH-4.png
    267.2 KB · Views: 177
  • DH-3.png
    DH-3.png
    114.8 KB · Views: 172
  • DH-2.png
    DH-2.png
    86.8 KB · Views: 400
  • DH-1.png
    DH-1.png
    154.2 KB · Views: 412
Hi,

here is a strange DHC STOL Transport Project ?.

http://archive.aviationweek.com/image/spread/19700622/73/2

Attachments

• DHC.png
    DHC.png
    233.4 KB · Views: 205
Hi,

Very advanced transport in early two drawings.

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a177750.pdf

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    84.5 KB · Views: 187
  • 3.png
    3.png
    252.5 KB · Views: 174
  • 6.png
    6.png
    77.3 KB · Views: 185
That looks like a stock Twin Otter -200 or -300 series with the popular baggage pannier replaced by a water tank.
What look like passenger windows - at first glace - are more likely vents to speed air flow in and out of the water tank.

In practice, Twin Otters are not used as water-bombers. Instead, they shuttle personnel and supplies around forest fires. Twin Otters are also popular jump-planes for smoke-jumpers, albeit only 6 or 8 smoke-jumpers at a time. This reflects all the extra equipment carried by smoke-jumpers, who often make 2 or 3 passes just to drop smoke-jumpers, then they circle around again to drop chain-saws, pumps, hoses, etc.
In comparison, civilian Twin Otter jump-planes routinely carry 20 or 24 lightly-dressed skydivers.

Last edited:
... Probably need to delete belly fuel tanks if you wanted to carry passengers in that pannier.

That was my thought too. If added passenger accommodations, it would be severely impractical. But, if those aren't windows, what are they? o_O

Pure speculation: it looks to me like the illustration could depict a water-bomber variant. What could be a water-column is visible beneath the rear of the pannier, which would suggest that the "windows" are air vents included to speed loading and dumping of the water.

From an "Aviation Magazine" of may 1971,a 3 views without any name of a STOL projected by De Havilland Canada .
4x RR Spey ,most of the cold gaz going out of the motors going trough pipes to blowthe "flaps" ;(Sorry ,my tailor is rich ,but my dictionnary poor )
span 39m ; length 37,5m

This design looks so British Aerospace 146, and yet the BAe146 design was started "In August 1973, Hawker Siddeley launched a new 70-seat regional airliner project, the HS.146". And yet this 'STOL project by De Havilland Canada' is in a 1971 dated magazine.

Regards
Pioneer

From Aviation magazine 1971.

Thanks hesham. Do you have access to other editions of Aviation Magazine International? I notice that n°707 (01 juin 1977) has a related article 'De Havilland toujours fidèle à la formule ADAC' ('De Havilland still faithful to the STOL formula')

BTW, the caption for your attachment a.png reads:

"In the section of this issue devoted to Canada, we discuss STOL and the de Havilland augmentor-wing project. Here is an artist's impression of the proposal made by this company in response to the needs expressed by Eastern Airlines. It is a four-jet aircraft with augmentor wing and a capacity of 150 passengers to be produced in cooperation with the American company."

The captions for b.png is something like:

"The evolution of STOL as seen by De Havilland [Canada]. Opposite above, an artist's impression and a 3-view plan of the DHC-7 in its current form. In the centre, the «Buffalo» modified for experiments with the augmentor-wing system. On the far right, a 3-view drawing corresponding to a possible second-generation augmentor-wing STOL airliner seating 100/150."

From Aviation magazine 1971.

Attachments

• a.png
    a.png
    404.9 KB · Views: 54
  • b.png
    b.png
    397.4 KB · Views: 53