Daniel Uhr artwork

This version flies for the Department of Public Safety, (aka local Police force) traffic safety division. NOW let's see you laugh it up about "Speed Controlled by Radar" ya Mooks! ;)

Randy

Hi
After a long time I'm back.
I hope you're all doing well despite all oddities of last year and the beginning of 2021.
Well here goes the first from 5 recent works.

This I did for a book cover - "Indestructible: One Man's Rescue Mission That Changed the Course of WWII" story.
I hope you enjoy it

83799235_2629273823788205_5945725198689894400_o.jpg

Magic mate. They got me a smile today and brightened up a sod of a day.

Hi
After a long time I'm back.
I hope you're all doing well despite all oddities of last year and the beginning of 2021.
Well here goes the first from 5 recent works.

This I did for a book cover - "Indestructible: One Man's Rescue Mission That Changed the Course of WWII" story.
I hope you enjoy it

83799235_2629273823788205_5945725198689894400_o.jpg

If I wanted to nit-pick, I would say that your painting of a red Beech 18 is actually the E18S version introduced in 1955, with a 6 inch taller cabin roof and extended wing tips. Sorry if I sound like a nit-picker, but I have made hundreds of skydives from C-45, Beech 18 and Hamilton Westwinds.

If I wanted to nit-pick, I would say that your painting of a red Beech 18 is actually the E18S version introduced in 1955, with a 6 inch taller cabin roof and extended wing tips. Sorry if I sound like a nit-picker, but I have made hundreds of skydives from C-45, Beech 18 and Hamilton Westwinds.
No problem. ; )
It sounds interesting jump out of an aircraft in a opened sky.
Cheers

A recent work done.
Australian Canberra employed in Viet Nam war

"...A84-247 was allotted to 2 Squadron RAAF for service in Vietnam in July 1967, and flew its first operational sortie on 14 July. It continued in operational use until 11 June 1968 when it returned to Australia for servicing followed by a brief posting to 1 Operational Conversion Unit (OCU) at Amberley Queensland. In July 1969 the aircraft returned to 2 Squadron and carried out its next operational flight on 19 July 1969. It remained with the Squadron until February 1971, undertaking its last bombing operation on 6 February 1971. This aircraft was used for both medium and low level bombing operations, and is known to have completed at least 680 operational flights in Vietnam. ..."

English-Electry-Canberra-viet-nam_.jpg

Thank you! Indeed one can learn something new every day. Was not aware of the RAAF Canberra operating in Vietnam. As always, a splendid bit of artwork as well. Never disappointed here.

Thank you! Indeed one can learn something new every day. Was not aware of the RAAF Canberra operating in Vietnam. As always, a splendid bit of artwork as well. Never disappointed here.
Thank you for the comment.
I'm glad that you like it : )

By the way, thank you all guys!

Just complementing the previous text

The Canberra could carry 6 x 1,000lb British bombs internally in its bomb bay, but in Vietnam the only bombs available were US designed, and only 4 x 750lb US bombs would fit in the bomb bay (go figger...) – the drop tanks were removed and an additional 2 x 750lb US bombs could be carried (1 on each wing tip). The bomb aimer would push the normal bomb release buttons for the 4 bombs internally but had to push the “Drop Tank Release Switch” to drop the bombs on the wing tips.

Below a diagram showing the US bomber and Uk bomb
HPA072030_Web_RevA__16812.1508468033.png

Last edited:
A new work I did.
New in different ways.
New - because I finished recently.
New - for being the first time I do an Phantom F4C, I always wanted it but for some reason never got it done, and
New - for one great motive, it was done in a partnership with James Hunter (illustrator) who has being helping me (a lot) in an other project that involves aviation art and history as well.

In this project (F4C)he did the lines, basis colors and markings. I gave the volume applying lights, shadows and weathering. I hope you enjoy it.

The aircraft shown, here, was used in vietnam war piloted by Col. Robin Olds.
Phantom-F-4C-Col.Olds_-1.jpg

Besides I'm doing a survey for my Design master degree and it is related to aviation art.
So I would kindly ask you to fill the form and help me, if you do not mind.

https://forms.gle/i6zdzSSpir6TaKjUA

Thank you in advance ; )

Last edited:
Besides I'm doing a survey for my Design master degree and it is related to aviation art.
So I would kindly ask you to fill the form and help me, if you do not mind.

https://forms.gle/i6zdzSSpir6TaKjUA

Thank you in advance ; )
Nice work. Survey completed.

One criticism of the profile, and this is just my opinion, FWIW. If you're going to show it with the landing gear retracted, then have the flight crew in the vehicle. Unless it's a QF ;). Otherwise, show the gear extended with on the ground compression.

Last edited:
A new work I did.
New in different ways.
New - for being the first time I do an Phantom F4C, I always wanted it but for some reason never got it done, and
New - for one great motive, it was done in a partnership with James Hunter (illustrator) who has being helping me (a lot) in an other project that involves aviation art and history as well.

In this project (F4C)he did the lines, basis colors and markings. I gave the volume applying lights, shadows and weathering. I hope you enjoy it.

To put some context on the way this is marked, this is Colonel Robin Olds' F-4C 64-0829, the way it looked when it took off on May 20, 1967 on an Operation Bolo type mission. On that day Col. Olds and 1st Lt. Stephen Croker shot down 2 North Vietnamese Mig-17s. I used research by Jennings Heilig from the Large Scale Planes forum that he did to produce accurate 1/32 model decals, which I purchased, to help me do the markings on this plane. I changed some things that I felt were wrong from the photos that I found.

One key feature of this plane during this time was the strike camera modification to the “dork” faring under the radome. This was used to take pictures of the bomb target (front camera) and the strike area (rear camera), to see if the mission was successful. Most F-4Cs did not have this modification. The strike camera radome modification wasn't replaced until sometime between 1973 and 1979. Also the low visibility formations lights seen on F-4Cs weren't added until around 1972-1973, 5 or so years after this time period.

As to the Zap tag on the intake ramp, according to Jenings Helig, the 435th Tactical Fighter Squadron flying Lockheed F-104Cs was attached to the 8th Fighter Wing remotely based at Urbon AFB, Thailand. The ground crew for the F-104Cs applied the "Zap" tag to this aircraft sometime during their time there. There are several pictures that were supposedly taken after Col. Olds and Lt. Croker landed following the May 20th mission that shows this "Zap" tag. Shortly after the mission the tag was painted over and two kill stars were added to the intake ramp.

It's an honor to work with Daniel, and I'm hoping to learn some of his secrets so that I can improve my artwork.;)

A new work I did.
New in different ways.

To put some context on the way this is marked, this is Colonel Robin Olds' F-4C 64-0829, the way it looked when it took off on May 20, 1967 on an Operation Bolo type mission. On that day Col. Olds and 1st Lt. Stephen Croker shot down 2 North Vietnamese Mig-17s. I used research by Jennings Heilig from the Large Scale Planes forum that he did to produce accurate 1/32 model decals, which I purchased, to help me do the markings on this plane. I changed some things that I felt were wrong from the photos that I found.

One key feature of this plane during this time was the strike camera modification to the “dork” faring under the radome. This was used to take pictures of the bomb target (front camera) and the strike area (rear camera), to see if the mission was successful. Most F-4Cs did not have this modification. The strike camera radome modification wasn't replaced until sometime between 1973 and 1979. Also the low visibility formations lights seen on F-4Cs weren't added until around 1972-1973, 5 or so years after this time period.

As to the Zap tag on the intake ramp, according to Jenings Helig, the 435th Tactical Fighter Squadron flying Lockheed F-104Cs was attached to the 8th Fighter Wing remotely based at Urbon AFB, Thailand. The ground crew for the F-104Cs applied the "Zap" tag to this aircraft sometime during their time there. There are several pictures that were supposedly taken after Col. Olds and Lt. Croker landed following the May 20th mission that shows this "Zap" tag. Shortly after the mission the tag was painted over and two kill stars were added to the intake ramp.

It's an honor to work with Daniel, and I'm hoping to learn some of his secrets so that I can improve my artwork.;)
I thank you for working with me ;)