http://blog.modernmechanix.com/airwheel-plane-paddle-wheel-boat/

Attachments

• Cyclogyro 1.jpg
    Cyclogyro 1.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Cyclogyro 2.jpg
    Cyclogyro 2.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 79
This DTIC report actually is very interesting ! About your last post, it may appear as
nitpicking, but those designs are intended to use the Magnus effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_effect),
a different phenomenon, not really in relation to the cyclogyro principle.

You are right my dear Jemiba,

but it looks like a cyclogyro,so I was confuse to put them in anther topic
or here,but there is some relationship in concepts here.

No, no, the designer wasn't someone named "Magnus Schaufelrad" !
"Schaufelrad" is just the German word for paddlewheel and "Magnus" the
name of the discoverer of the Magnus effect. In that collection you can find
appropriate keywords framed by waved lines.
As said before, that source should be used very cautiously !

Schaufelrad is the type of propulsion (" Lifting rotor ") , and Ernst Zenzem (or Zeuzem?) is the designer .

Attachments

• Numériser 3.jpeg
    Numériser 3.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 509
  • Numériser 4.jpeg
    Numériser 4.jpeg
    412.9 KB · Views: 356
Thanks for those additional information !
Could find neither "Ernst Zenzem", nor "Ernst Zeuzem", but the artist impression
looks more like the vehicle actually should use the Magnus effect (which describes
the airflow around a rotating cylinder, rather than a padle wheel with several independent
airfoils distributed around the perimeter.

Thank you my dears Jemiba and Richard,

and sorry,I don't know Germany language.

Hi,

here is the Borghese-Parizzi rotor sailplane or a cyclogyro sailplane,from Sailplane
and Glider magazine.

Attachments

• B-1.JPG
    B-1.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 271
  • B.JPG
    B.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 274
Interesting find, especially as the leading edge rotor was man powered !
Once in the air (and if working as planned) this layout could have meant an
unprecedented range for human powered aircraft.

VTOLicious said:
Wonder what's the difference to make this one successful? ::)

If the claims, that were made on that site become true, many aviation companies probably will
go bankrupt, or maybe will have to change their business branch to trains or wind parks and so on....
To be fair,on the D-Dalus site it is just said "Such an aircraft now appears within reach."
To support this statement, we can think of all those new materials, that for example made the
Sikorsky price for the human powered helicopter a closed chapter and the advances in electric
propulsion and energy storage, as for such an aircraft that could be aprobable choice.

This cyclogyro is just a hypothhetical design theorized by Richard in his article.

I've moved the Moineau design to this thread, as it definitely isn't a helicopter, but is driven by
"horizontal assemblies of rotating wings", as hesham himself correctly wrote in the first post.
And the L'Aérophile article it is mentioned, too, that it is capable of achieving a vertical take-off
"like a helicopter", indicating that the author was aware that the principle is different.

Yes my dear Jens,

but the new drawing and a picture are more clearance.

A variant of the cycloidal propulsion systems was the twin cycloid proposed in East Germany in the early 1960's for a hybrid airship design known as the "Delfin Luftschiff". A fairly large model was built of the system and tested in a wind tunnel - I seem to remember Leipzig. Have never seen any of the results from the tests.

grite13 said:
A variant of the cycloidal propulsion systems was the twin cycloid proposed in East Germany in the early 1960's for a hybrid airship design known as the "Delfin Luftschiff". A fairly large model was built of the system and tested in a wind tunnel - I seem to remember Leipzig. Have never seen any of the results from the tests.

Hi Grite13,

I never heard about this airship,can you explain more,or do you have a picture
to this Model ?.

Not absolutely sure, but I think, it is mentioned in "Luftschiffe die nie gebaut wurden". Will browse
the book, when I'm at home again during the weekend.

Jemiba said:
Not absolutely sure, but I think, it is mentioned in "Luftschiffe die nie gebaut wurden". Will browse
the book, when I'm at home again during the weekend.

I hope so my dear Jemiba,

and for Grite13,you're welcome.

Heureka! (found in the mentioned book)
Here's the Delphin-Luftschiff, proposed by Ulrich Queck and Wilhelm Schmidt from Leipzig in 1968.
It was based on the bionic theories developep by U.Queck and research by Schmidt about the so-called
"Wellantrieb" (wave propulsion).

Attachments

• Delphin-Luftschiff_01.jpg
    Delphin-Luftschiff_01.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 261
  • Delphin-Luftschiff_02.jpg
    Delphin-Luftschiff_02.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 262
Well done. That is the project I was referring to. You might also be interested in the Boeing Kirsten cycloid studies. Full size versions were built for testing on the U.S. naval rigid airship Shenandoah, but the airship was destroyed in a line squall over the mid-west. The cycloids were considered potential competitors to swiveling propellers and it was proposed that multiple paired cycloids distributed along the axis of a rigid or semi-rigid airship in positions low on the hull offered the possibility of 360 deg vectored thrust and in-flight trimming through differential pitching. The great risk with these systems seems to have been the danger to the ground crews during mooring operations and the possibility of the long-lines dropped from the nose during a landing operation becoming entangled in the forward cycloids. The bending moments on the struts of the suspended engine gondolas also presented some challenges as would beefing them up (weight spiral). One possible answer to these problems would be to mount them just below the axis of the hull. This "solution" would require separate engines to drive the cycloids and eliminate the possibility of having a gear train that allowed driving both cycloids from an engine gondola with a single engine or having an engine out capability with each pair.

Hi,

was that aircraft a cyclogyro?,I found it in Luftfahrt International 5/1982.

Attachments

• Cyclogyro.JPG
    Cyclogyro.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 227
Hi,

here is an artist drawing to US Navy Cyclogyro.

http://rotoplan.narod.ru/history_e.htm

Attachments

• img034.jpg
    img034.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 162
OK my dear Jemiba,

but some of it are a real projects,so we can move a part of it as I think.

Have moved the thread now to this section here. Dividing would have been difficult, as mentioned
before and by splitting into several threads according to country of origin or designer, the overview
of the concept would be somehow lost.

Additionally I found in the AHS Newsletter N° 4, 1957 another example of a cyclogyros aircraft with
the wings rotational axis parallel to the longitudinal axis as in the Moineau design
(http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2837.msg213953.html#msg213953 )
It was designed and built by Jonathan E. Caldwell and should simulate birds' flight, but using
rotating, instead of flapping wings.

Attachments

• Caldwell.jpg
    Caldwell.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 407
Hi,

we spoke about this site before,but they can't ID this one.

http://rotoplan.narod.ru/history_e.htm

Attachments

• img039s.jpg
    img039s.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 426