Current US hypersonic weapons projects. (General)

Based on the FY21 request, there appears to be 3 flight tests for Lockheed's TBG desgin including one this year (FY20) and 2 in FY21. Additionally, they are going to be performing a Critical Design Review of TBG integration with the Vertical Launch System for the Navy, and also begin fabrication of the Raytheon TBG design which could probably begin flight testing in FY22.

Attachments

• TBG1.jpg
    TBG1.jpg
    445.4 KB · Views: 20
  • TBG2.jpg
    TBG2.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 28
Raytheon is building a glider for TBG? I though LockMart was the primary contractor?

any information about Lockheed's TBG ?

Still planning to test once in FY20, and at least twice in FY21. Additional testing beyond that can also occur.
so There are twice in FY20 ( Lockheed and Raytheon ) ?

One test in FY20 (Lockheed), at least 2 in FY21 (Lockheed) and more later (Raytheon and possibly Lockheed). Of course all this is subject to change..but this is what we know so far.

any information about Lockheed's TBG ?

Still planning to test once in FY20, and at least twice in FY21. Additional testing beyond that can also occur.
so There are twice in FY20 ( Lockheed and Raytheon ) ?

One test in FY20 (Lockheed), at least 2 in FY21 (Lockheed) and more later (Raytheon and possibly Lockheed). Of course all this is subject to change..but this is what we know so far.
Thank you , any news about AGM-183 ?

AFAIK HAWC is a demonstrator that hasn’t flown. Even when there is a SCRAMjet program of record, I suspect the booster requirements for launching at sea level compared to launching at high altitude and 500mph will negate a lot of the advantages of an air breathing engine. For slower missiles that live below the sound barrier and in ground effect the boost stage is a far less challenging requirement.

If an air breather hypersonic is light enough I could easily see them being adopted by the air wings and MPAs.

I am curious if the USN will adopt ship launched hypersonics in addition to subs. I actually rather doubt it, at least in large numbers. It requires large cells and magazine trade off decisions and more over begs the question, why aren’t we just launching these from trucks in Guam or the UK?

Why don't they also make a ship-launched variant of the Hawc missile?

Because a Mach 5 solid ramjet will probably be enough for most targets and the best mix of lightest, easiest and penetrating solution.

Why don't they also make a ship-launched variant of the Hawc missile?

Because a Mach 5 solid ramjet will probably be enough for most targets and the best mix of lightest, easiest and penetrating solution.
Isn't HAWC supposed to be Mach 5?

HAWC is a scramjet. A ramjet can only go up to around Mach 5, but a scramjet can go above Mach 10. There is much efficiency gains going from a ramjet to a scramjet, and you need to those faster speeds somehow.

The missile would need a re-entry capsule of some description, which would bring it's own set of difficulties. On the other hand, for example, there was apparently a fair bit of research done during the 2000s on the idea of dropping encapsulated recon UAVs from low orbiting satellites for rapid reaction purposes, though I'm not sure if they ever got anywhere near the hardware stage.

Last edited:
Would it be prohibitively expensive to put some HAWCs in space, minus the booster?
Why bring HAWC into space when you can bring the glider of ARRW into space? Smaller , longer range , lower IR signature and faster at the same time

Range is an important consideration. A scramjet powered medium to intermediate ranged weapon would need to go incredibly fast in order to match or exceed the time-to-target performance of either the IRCPS or a TBG based boost glide weapon.

Note that this is a program to create software that can support development of advanced vehicles, not an advanced vehicle development program. It’s a necessary precursor but not a signal that a 21st century Rheinberry is imminent.

Note that this is a program to create software that can support development of advanced vehicles, not an advanced vehicle development program. It’s a necessary precursor but not a signal that a 21st century Rheinberry is imminent.
But some classified programs are often first seen through related programs like this.

But some classified programs are often first seen through related programs like this.
I would hope my tax dollars already funded some black program(s). Back in the 90s when those mysterious booms were heard out west, late late late one morning on the west coast on a businesstrip a group of us heard what sounded like a rocket launch rumbling and rattling windows over 25 miles from the nearest air force base. It was so loud everyone stopped talking. I've seen every bomber we have and this was different. I looked it up online the next day to see what flew out of that base and as i recall it was a military airlift command base. So dare to dream i suppose.

What do the words "Manned / Unmanned Conventional Prompt Global Strike." Mean? Does it indicate that there will be a pilot in there? The supersonic turbojet intrigues me.

AFRE program will almost complete in FY2021.

1256.png

Also, Air Force want the scramjet engine which may power the future hypersonic vehicle (multi-mission cruiser) can operate up to mach 7 and work efficiently during maneuvers.

jassm.png

Last edited:
This is great news that outweighs the bad news of a certain cancelled project. I can't wait to hear news of the missile either bumping up speeds or what altitudes it will cruise in for its testing phases along with range and size estimates of the missile before it goes operational. God I am too happy to hear this.