• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

China DF-17 hypersonic boost-glide missile carrier

antigravite

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
HI,

This post has been entirely rewritten since it was first published, to be somewhat clearer.

This new thread is intended to be dedicated to China's DF-17, a ballistic missile specifically designed to carry hypersonic weapons, initially tested on November 1, 2017 and unveiled on October 1, 2019.

As a hypersonic weapon vehicle carrier, the DF-17 can launch a hypersonic boost glide vehicle (such as the DF-ZF) and/or other conventional advanced maneuverable reentry vehicles.

While other, scattered DF-17 related posts, have already been published elsewhere in this forum, I felt like suggesting this separate thread to better organize available information.

Thx.

A.

Last edited:

antigravite

Reaction score
Hi,

Mobile vehicle parade designators:
- ZL-101 & ZL-102 : leading jeep cars
- ZL-103, ZL-104, ZL-105, ZL-106 : 1st row of mobile armored launching vehicles
- ZL-107, ZL-108, ZL-109, ZL-110 : 2nd row of mobile armored launching vehicles
- ZL-111, ZL-112, ZL-113, ZL-114 : 3rd row of mobile armored launching vehicles
- ZL-115, ZL-116, ZL-117, ZL-118 : 4th row of mobile armored launching vehicles
- etc.

A.

coanda

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
The missiles look like glass fibre replicas.

SOC

I look at pictures all day
Reaction score
They usually are for these parades. Something like the DF-41 may be 100% complete, but something like the DF-17 likely has a replica missile installed. This is normal behavior for their parades. Same thing with the smaller ones like the HQ-9B or YJ-18 - they use replicas to show the missiles off, when in reality they're contained within sealed launch tubes and wouldn't be seen.

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
^-- A rare bigfoot sighting. :p

coanda

Reaction score
They usually are for these parades. Something like the DF-41 may be 100% complete, but something like the DF-17 likely has a replica missile installed. This is normal behavior for their parades. Same thing with the smaller ones like the HQ-9B or YJ-18 - they use replicas to show the missiles off, when in reality they're contained within sealed launch tubes and wouldn't be seen.
Compared to say, the boost glide vehicles also on display, these look a lot less mature, is all I'm saying. Should have put it like that in the first place.

sferrin

Reaction score
Compared to say, the boost glide vehicles also on display, these look a lot less mature, is all I'm saying. Should have put it like that in the first place.
I wouldn't read anything into it other than it was meant for a parade.

antigravite

Reaction score
It's all about sending a message, of course.

A.

sferrin

Reaction score
It's all about sending a message, of course.

A.
You don't say?

rooster

Reaction score

In_A_Dream

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
Maybe the Chinese will go the way of the USA and not feel a need to publicly display any major advancements in technology. It would also be beneficial to do so as it'll help their case in terms of coming off as less assertive and threatening.

sferrin

Reaction score
in French:
https://www.eastpendulum.com/df-17-ce-que-lon-sait-de-cette-arme-hypersonique-chinoise

TL/DR:
A "quick win" and "stop gap" solution to counter the profilerating US Missile Defences.

Assuming it was close enough reach PAC-3 could probably hit it.
Assuming it wasnt maneuvering, right?
No. Here's a video of a PAC-3 (not even MSE) shooting down a maneuvering RV nearly 2 decades ago.

And yes, you'll inevitably say, "but a manuevering RV and a BGRV aren't the same thing". If it's in PAC-3s envelope, effectively, it may as well be.

Desertfox

Reaction score
The problem with PAC-3 is that it only works if the HGV is targeting the area PAC-3 is defending and its looking in the right direction. We don't have that many patriot batteries around.

edwest

Reaction score
I don't know. It looks too small to go hypersonic as pictured.

sferrin

Reaction score

edwest

Reaction score
And flying at a suppressed glide angle. OK. But it would need to preprogrammed to hit a specific target along with having its flight path/maneuvers put in.

stealthflanker

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
I'm curious if it can still retain the velocity of its Ballistic sibling. 2500 km range means the missile is capable of reaching 4.5 km/s or Mach 13 at its peak.