Current US hypersonic weapons projects. (General)

Why are there no surface-launched hypersonic cruise missile projects?
It's a good question. One major reason may be because air launched hypersonic missile tech is father along, and the Air Force and Navy want to use air assets they already have to move the deployment into the field faster. So its a development to operational field and money resources thing.

Having an air breathing hypersonic cruise missile in a mk41 or Mk57 transporter canister would be the next step in my opinion.

Martin Marietta ASALM design study included a ship based SAM. My point here is that it was a containerized ramjet powered missile. Northrop Grumman's proposal for a Maritime Strike Missile powered ramjet (hypersonic?) exhibited recently has what to me seems to have an uncanny resemblance to Martin Marietta ASALM from the late 1970s. ng-maritime-strike-side-profile.jpg

Attachments

• asalm-sam_zpsb010f405.jpg_original (1).jpg
    asalm-sam_zpsb010f405.jpg_original (1).jpg
    597.6 KB · Views: 36
Martin Marietta ASALM design study included a ship based SAM. My point here is that it was a containerized ramjet powered missile. Northrop Grumman's proposal for a Maritime Strike Missile powered ramjet (hypersonic?) exhibited recently has what to me seems to have an uncanny resemblance to Martin Marietta ASALM from the late 1970s. View attachment 697669

Maybe they could resurrect the ASALM by updating its' design taking into account the advances in airframe and propulsion technology, materials science and production methods made in the 40+ years since the programme was axed.

Martin Marietta ASALM design study included a ship based SAM. My point here is that it was a containerized ramjet powered missile. Northrop Grumman's proposal for a Maritime Strike Missile powered ramjet (hypersonic?) exhibited recently has what to me seems to have an uncanny resemblance to Martin Marietta ASALM from the late 1970s. View attachment 697669

Maybe they could resurrect the ASALM by updating its' design taking into account the advances in airframe and propulsion technology, materials science and production methods made in the 40+ years since the programme was axed.
it wouldn't surprise me if they leveraged that tech , especially in light of the urgency at hand to deploy. A Navy Admiral recently interviewed about HALO mentioned that whether the final design was hypersonic or ramjet powered (less than Mach 5), what mattered most was getting a high-speed offensive weapon in service. Northrop Gummans proposal might fit that thinking.

It looks like the NG product is that, more or less, to my untrained eye.

it wouldn't surprise me if they leveraged that tech , especially in light of the urgency at hand to deploy. A Navy Admiral recently interviewed about HALO mentioned that whether the final design was hypersonic or ramjet powered (less than Mach 5), what mattered most was getting a high-speed offensive weapon in service. Northrop Gummans proposal might fit that thinking.

I believe they already are out of the running and LockMart and Raytheon (the same pair who competed for HACM) are the down selects.

Was supposed to be LRASM-B. Five minutes after the announcement it was cancelled. Then recently something LM was working on was released and it looks sort of like ASALM.

Was called LRASM-B. Lasted about 5 minutes.

asalm-sam_zps3794c8f3.jpg

Woah, from above:

DART AE 3D-Printed Drone and HASTE Rocket​

For the HyCAT project, Hypersonix is developing its DART AE (additive engineering) airborne drone in Australia.

The 3D-printed vehicle is powered by a Spartan scramjet engine. It features oxygen-breathing capability and hydrogen fuel storage made of high-temperature alloy to meet the demands of ignition from Mach 5 to 7.

A video was shown to various congressional committees in 2021 with that missile being deployed via Super Hornets, it was LRASM-size in the presentation. The pylon is not familiar to me but looks like something intended for an LO platform.

Any idea what pylon that was intended to represent? Clearly some effort went into showing dual carriage on some kind of pylon.
Other than a B-52 I can't think of any US plane that could possibly carry more than 1 large hypersonic weapon on a single wing-mount pylon.

A video was shown to various congressional committees in 2021 with that missile being deployed via Super Hornets, it was LRASM-size in the presentation. The pylon is not familiar to me but looks like something intended for an LO platform.
If that's the case that could be an F-15 pylon. I'd suggest maybe F-35 but is there room?

Any idea what pylon that was intended to represent? Clearly some effort went into showing dual carriage on some kind of pylon.
Other than a B-52 I can't think of any US plane that could possibly carry more than 1 large hypersonic weapon on a single wing-mount pylon.
The Bone probably could if you don’t mind initial cruise altitudes below 20 kft, and it does look a lot like their external pylon. Then again, will any Bones be left in service by the time it hits IOC? The BUFF should be able to just mount six to the HSAB’s if it has the standard 30 in lugs for 2,000-5,000 lb weapons.

Looks like a child's toy. And where is her booster stage?
To save overall length for carrier ops, I would guess the booster is inside the Ramjet's combustion chamber à la ASALM/LRAMS-B. However, keep in mind that Boeing as stated in the past that their publicly released artwork for hypersonic weapons is not necessarily representative of the weapon's actual configuration.

The booster was external on the HyFly stack but presumably any weapon based on a dual mode concept would use an internal booster. The advantage of a ram/scram jet is that you don’t need to boost it nearly as high or fast as a pure scramjet, so an integral booster is possible. If the HAWC demonstrator is anything like the X-51 in layout and combustor shape, a large external booster will be necessary for HACM, making it a very long stack for CV usage.