Current US hypersonic weapons projects. (General)

jsport

what do you know about surfing Major? you're from-
Reaction score

publiusr

The Anti-Proxmire
Reaction score
A recent article had it that a design with intakes to either side from two or three decades back inspired China's-but the article had an image of a stealth jet drone. Now if they launched two belly mount intake craft with dorsal-spine back to back-opposite how Ron Miller thought Cosmos 881 and 882 were mounted-VA capsules actually-that might explain the look of one craft having two intakes-which then deploys another object...if so...the real goal might be to determine how well we image craft in orbit-shaking the tree to see what chatter falls out. All from a TSV concept NASA rejected. All I remember from then was SLI.

aonestudio

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score

Josh_TN

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
The tech has come a long way and more over the US seems actually willing to fund and produce systems in this regime now. Previously there wasn't a perceived need to justify the costs; the rise of foreign hypersonic projects changed that equation. I don't know if this particular project has a future but I suspect the US fields a hypersonic reusable aircraft demonstrator by end of decade.

bring_it_on

Reaction score
^^ Willing to fund seems to be a pretty significant leap there. There is no indication that the DOD has any appetite or has made any room in its budgets to fund a future reusable hypersonic platform. That will probably take annual funding levels close to what the DOD is spending on all hypersonic weapons combined currently (which isn't much to begin with). Services are too busy trying to recover their test schedules from 2020 so probably don't have time for this..

Josh_TN

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I interpret the MAYHEM program as a desire to explicitly develop a reusable capability. It might ultimately get cancelled before any demonstration aircraft can be created, but it seems to me USAF wants to go in that direction.

bring_it_on

Reaction score
I interpret the MAYHEM program as a desire to explicitly develop a reusable capability.

Notice of Contract Action: Expendable Hypersonic Multi-Mission Air-Breathing Demonstrator (Mayhem) Program

https://sam.gov/opp/76cb1a3ba99e4926b3413e0a3cdb4489/view

They may desire a lot of things, but unless there is a huge classified budget their hypersonic portfolio is a joke when it comes to reusable systems. Given how poorly the AF is managing its current hypersonic portfolio that's probably a good thing.

Last edited:

bobbymike

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score

bobbymike

Reaction score

bring_it_on

Reaction score

Has there been one reporter that as has asked the AF leaders a single question about progress on TBG? How do they plan on entering production this year if the glider they are fielding hasn't even completed prototype demonstrations yet.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Isn't that looking more and more like an Op? Test that all fail while being continously advertised that everybody can have their eyes on?
Imagine if they had achieved Hyperstealth. What would be there to see for most... Whooof.
Wouldn't that be interesting?

sferrin

Reaction score

Flyaway

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
University of Central Florida researchers are part of a new $1 million project funded by the Air Force Office of Scientific Research to better understand and predict how and why raindrops are affected when they cross a hypersonic shock wave.

Hypersonic speeds are those at Mach 5 and higher, or five times greater than the speed of sound. The U.S. is currently working on developing hypersonic systems for defense and travel.

The new project is important because colliding with something as light as a single raindrop could cause a lot of damage at hypersonic speeds. The work will inform researchers as to whether or not the raindrop maintains its single droplet form or breaks up into tens of much smaller droplets.

X-39

Armchair Engineer
Reaction score

Wanted: hypersonic missile with standardized payload interface able to carry out several kinds of missions​

March 3, 2022

Potential $334 million Mayhem project seeks a standardized payload interface for multi-mission payload integration within the same hypersonic system.

John Keller
WRIGHT-PATTERSON AFB, Ohio – U.S. Air Force researchers are kicking off a shadowy project to develop a large air-breathing missile able to carry out several different kinds of missions with a standardized payload interface. Officials of the U.S. Air Force Research Laboratory at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, issued a broad agency announcement on Monday (FA8650-17-S-2002_Call_003) for the Expendable Hypersonic Multi-Mission ISR and Strike (Mayhem) program.
It is expected that Mayhem payloads will involve delivering kinetic or explosive weapons, or intelligence and reconnaissance sensor payloads at hypersonic speeds. Hypersonic typically refers to objects traveling faster than Mach 5, or 3,836 miles per hour.