Current RuAF light fighter projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-50

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
What's the current status of the Russian LMFS fighter program?I know MIG announced that they are working at a light fighter project called E-721 and I believe Suchoi also has a light fighter design (a scaledown version of the Su-57)my question is are these programs still alive? If it is what is 5hese status of these projects

For years we just had some vague claims from time to time regarding the next light fighter from MiG, but nothing concrete apart from some apparently signed agreement with the UAE for a joint development. Only recently it was confirmed by UAC that MiG has indeed received a contract to research the aerodynamics of a light, twin-engine fighter until 2025:

At last MiG has a contract to research a possible light fighter, let’s hope that this time they get a further contract to build an operational that is based on the research.

That's good news! I'll hope that out of this pre research work a worthy counterpart of the F-35 emerged!

hat's good news!

At 50 thousand dollars, not much can be done.

I'll hope that out of this pre research work a worthy counterpart of the F-35 emerged!

God forbid. This is with all due respect to the F-35. I doubt very much that an airplane similar to the F-35 can now be integrated into the structure of the Russian Air Force. Well, if only decked. But this is already from the kind of semi-fantasy.

scale_1200

The picture says:
Research of a search model of a light maneuverable aircraft in a T-103 subsonic wind tunnel.
It is far from a fact that this model is related to the LMFS.
An article by Pyotr Butovsky .... non-intended.

Right. Probably the only materialized „piece of LMFS project“ – known to the public – is this:

Attachments

• lmfs2.jpg
    lmfs2.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 338
scale_1200

The picture says:
Research of a search model of a light maneuverable aircraft in a T-103 subsonic wind tunnel.
It is far from a fact that this model is related to the LMFS.
An article by Pyotr Butovsky .... non-intended.
Where are the intakes?

Above. The conical shapes that you see in front of the engine nacelles are aerodynamic features to simulate airflow gulped into the engines.

Thank you. I stand corrected. Pretty aggressive placement for inlets.
Where can I find more about this?

A little more light maneuverable aircraft, but already visible in full form and with front horizontal determination (which is strange):

139-1.jpg

89-0.jpg

A little more light maneuverable aircraft, but already visible in full form and with front horizontal determination (which is strange):

Only a fan art. Isn't it?

However... these pictures from the wind tunnel (by TSAGI) are not "current".
However what exactly? This is quite old generic in-house TsAGI WT model. It _probably_ has its roots in MiG '602' fighter studies from late 90s.

Interesting...
Btw is the Butowski’s pic related to current reality in any way?

I think the author is also trying to rock the topic but, though he at least is trying to stay reasonably neutral, he is failing in almost all his assessments IMO. Regarding the novelty of the concept, the engine, the avionics, the relationship with Su-57 and Okhotnik, the TsAGI model and even the basic need for such a machine that gives title to the piece. And in the comments the customary condescending tone about Russian engine reliability and desperate need for cash. It is unsurprising that the West fails to predict what Russia will do, since they so intensely cultivate the misrepresentation of their reality and motivations.

Is that a Sukhoi's version of Boeing X-32? Nothing wrong with that. Always like the potential and the layout of the X-32.
Hope their "JSF" looks like the X-32. But probably will not.

It's just a standard DSI inlet to the right. The one in the cabinet looks like a Su-57.

Hmm?? Looks like a Su-27 met Monica! ;) :D

A few findings:

- the model is directly on the Borisov’s table, which means that it is a current project for presentation at high-level negotiations (Borisov is the Deputy Prime Minister…);

- the canopy is identical to that used on the Su-57, so it is possible that the design is a technological derivative of PAK FA, which means accelerating development, reducing development costs, reducing the unit price;

- it is probably „a single-engine light to medium weight strike aircraft“ developed by Rostec; Chemezov recently spoke about this project;

- the use of a single engine is evident, probably a izdeliye 30 with a thrust of around 176 kN; empty weight can be in the the range of 10 - 11 tons;

- for „joint development with another country“ (see Chemezov’s statement) and possible ToT is expected the use of some technologies developed primarily for export (avionics suite of last export modification of MiG-35?);

- can be a good successor to the line Su-17/20/22 (Babak’s fingers?);

- can have huge export potential;

- can have its place in the VKS (theoretically).

Very controversial.
A light interceptor, while retaining its strike capabilities, albeit not at the level of the JSF, is more relevant than the new generation Su-17.
And of course a carrier-based aircraft in perspective.

Very controversial.
A light interceptor, while retaining its strike capabilities, albeit not at the level of the JSF, is more relevant than the new generation Su-17.
And of course a carrier-based aircraft in perspective.

There is no controversy, Evgeniy:
The first attempt to develop a replacement of Fitter line - canard delta "S-37" - was project of single-engine fully multirole strike fighter.

The first attempt to develop a replacement of Fitter line - canard delta "S-37" - was project of single-engine fully multirole strike fighter.

Well, that was when ...
Now is not the time.

What's the point? Soviet VVS frontal fighter-interceptor doctrine is long gone even in Russian VKS.
If the market needs anything, that's a cheap multirole non-American 5th gen(sounds a bit like a unicorn).

What's the point? Soviet VVS frontal fighter-interceptor doctrine is long gone even in Russian VKS.
Well, with the Russian Air Force, things are a little more complicated. What's the point? And in the fact that such an aircraft will cover a secondary direction during a possible major conflict, it can be a means of building up potential, while covering heavy fighters at their bases. And of course a carrier-based aircraft.

Of course, such an aircraft should also have the ability to strike the ground.

If the market needs anything, that's a cheap multirole non-American 5th gen(sounds a bit like a unicorn).

Well I am not sure. Market plebiscited the massive Flankers despite its size since the price was right.

If it's good enough, fits the use and has the right price, it will meet customer's expectations. Sadly, for this project, it would be hard to match the need sandwiched b/w a low cost, still formidable Flanker and a priced down simplified Felon.

It would be nice if they could reproduce the success of the mig-21 with a single-engine economical stealth aircraft. The f-16 is a modern mig-21 in my opinion, but it is getting expensive.

It would be nice if they could reproduce the success of the mig-21 with a single-engine economical stealth aircraft. The f-16 is a modern mig-21 in my opinion, but it is getting expensive.

Maybe, tho i would assume Klimov would have to step up their game as the existing RD-33 may not necessarily provide the T/W ratio of 1. One may ask why not just Saturn or Salyut... Well the way Soviet and now Russia keep things going are to provide niche for design bureaus e.g Phazotron handles MiG Radars while NIIP Handles Sukhoi flankers. NPK-SPP/ NIIPP Handles Su-35 optronics while UOMZ Handles Su-57 and legacy flankers optronics.

I thought that both MiG and Sukhoi stopped designing single engined fighters for safety, because having twin engines mean that if the fighter has problems with one engine then the pilot can shut down that engine and safely make it back to base on the other good engine. But in single engined fighter any problems with the engine the pilot has no option but to eject.

Except in this time and age, nobody seem to want a twin engined light fighter, which considered more expensive in both price maintenance, if they do want twin engine they would go all out to Sukhois or F-15's.

Status
Not open for further replies.