Current Nuclear Weapons Development

It explicitly refers to Sarmat, which is obviously nonsense - it's strategic and not even in service yet.

If it's referring to the HGV it may not have to follow a ballistic route but then you would think that the burn phase would not even be over at 100s, usually they last 3-5 minutes. Russian state media is good at making wild assumptions about how technology works. They probably just took the Vmax and divided the distance by that.

US nuclear commander warns of deterrence ‘crisis’ against Russia and China​

“We are facing a crisis deterrence dynamic right now that we have only seen a few times in our nation’s history,” Adm. Charles Richard told the Senate’s strategic forces panel. “The war in Ukraine and China’s nuclear trajectory — their strategic breakout — demonstrates that we have a deterrence and assurance gap based on the threat of limited nuclear employment.”

We should have decoupled our arsenal at the end of the Cold War based not on the Russian arsenal but our unique global and treaty obligations we’d have stopped disarming at START I levels of warheads and launchers.
I don't know if it can be won, but the less you invest in nuclear weapons the more your enemies begin to think it can be won and the more they push their luck.

Parity with Russia was a perfectly reasonable goal that made an assured destruction response pretty inevitable. The Chinese build up has screwed up that math and will likely prevent any future limitation treaty since all countries (or the US at least) will need to be able to deter a scenario against two opposing nuclear powers at once. A build up post New START expiration is inevitable IMO.

H.mmmm.....so now we have.....the Beijing Criterion?
;)

H.mmmm.....so now we have.....the Beijing Criterion?
;)
That a Ludlum book?
Oblique reference to Moscow Criterion, the UK Deterrent is supposed to guarantee wiping out the Soviet Government in Moscow and with it the Soviet Elite.

So obviously if we also have Beijing to contend with, then we have Beijing Criterion.

Like a broken record I repeat. At a time we had three other warheads in production and several at early stage R&D we built 3000 W76s in five years. Now “ramping up” to 30 plutonium pits takes over a decade.

For example, the US keeps a number of big Megaton warheads available to my understanding. Presumably for a specific reason.....
Nothing "really" big, not in the open sources at least. Biggest in the current acknowledged arsenal is the B83, with a max yield of about 1.2Mt, and those are set up as plain gravity bombs for use on the B-2 Spirit (and one presumes probably the B-21 Raider). What exactly they'd be useful for is...unclear to me, since the B61 is/was being developed into a bunker buster warhead.

Big is relative, of course, when I say the B83 is small I'm talking in comparison to the multi-megaton beasts of the Cold War era. The last of the B53/W53 (Titan II warhead) 9Mt hard site killers were disassembled in 2011 - with the interesting possibility that several physics packages ("canned sub-assemblies") are being retained for reasons unknown, the lead speculation being asteroid defense. And of course the biggest American nuke was the B41, with a three-stage design comparable to the Tsar Bomba and an estimated yield of 25Mt (retired in 1976).
The US has explicitly stated in documents that it retains the physics packages/"CSAs" for "planetary defense", in addition to being a source of nuclear pits for future weapons, a hedge against aging out of assemblies in deployed assets, and as a stockpile of HEU material for future development.

It's been rumored that B-53 CSAs had been to be stored specifically for planetary defense mission but I've never found a document explicitly stating that, though it seems like perfectly reasonable explanation.
Orion pulse units strung out Shoemaker-Levy machine gun style might be better.

Unfortunately all Russian and Chinese

Unfortunate for the world in total.

Still, how many tactical nukes could be expected in this sort of a conflict? the US may have enough low yield tactical nukes to go tit for tat for a long time.
According to FAS' annual us nuke inventory estimate, the US has the following options
530 ALCMs which are dial a yield weapons, with lowest yield being 5 kt.
230 B61 bombs with 10 kt yields being the lowest setting. (b61 is also a dial a yield design)
and 320 B61 bombs with less than 1 kt being the lowest setting.

(and some 25 trident based 8 kt warheads, though those would be the last option to use, due to escalation risks)

I think any nuclear exchange goes strategic long before the US runs out of tactical nukes. Realistically there would probably only be one or two tit for tat reactions before one side or the other decided deterrence had fundamentally failed and all that’s left is to try to “win”.

Still, how many tactical nukes could be expected in this sort of a conflict? the US may have enough low yield tactical nukes to go tit for tat for a long time.
According to FAS' annual us nuke inventory estimate, the US has the following options
530 ALCMs which are dial a yield weapons, with lowest yield being 5 kt.
230 B61 bombs with 10 kt yields being the lowest setting. (b61 is also a dial a yield design)
and 320 B61 bombs with less than 1 kt being the lowest setting.

(and some 25 trident based 8 kt warheads, though those would be the last option to use, due to escalation risks)

1655735636288.png

What's sorely missed is the Pershing I and II. The INF Treaty just led to ways to make it redundant - HGVs, nuclear-powered cruise missiles and lying missiles like Iskander-M and K, plus a friendly power who didn't sign it anyway.

Last edited:
INF was a stabilizing force while it was in effect. I’d argue only the Iskander K violated the treaty, which was justification enough for leaving it, though it also was severely limiting in the Pacific and would have needed to be amended or updated in any case.

INF was a stabilizing force while it was in effect. I’d argue only the Iskander K violated the treaty, which was justification enough for leaving it, though it also was severely limiting in the Pacific and would have needed to be amended or updated in any case.
Iskander-K was an obvious 'in-your-face' violation, however given the size of the Iskander-M it also seems like a clear violation. Israel has one 2/3rds the diameter and 60% of the height that can reach 430km. And no point having a treaty that limits fast or stealthy strikes over short distances (500-5500km) if someone is just going to achieve the same thing via HGVs and nuclear-powered cruise missiles anyway.

That's a pretty clear signal, as far as Russia is concerned, all arms control treaties have ended.

I think any nuclear exchange goes strategic long before the US runs out of tactical nukes. Realistically there would probably only be one or two tit for tat reactions before one side or the other decided deterrence had fundamentally failed and all that’s left is to try to “win”.
What is this "win" garbage? Once nukes start getting lobbed around by the likes of Russia and the USA there would be no win if it escalated. It becomes a matter of survival only.

What is this "win" garbage? Once nukes start getting lobbed around by the likes of Russia and the USA there would be no win if it escalated. It becomes a matter of survival only.
And he who survives wins. That's how war works.

And he who survives wins. That's how war works.
DonTexkXoAAi_we.jpg

Iskander-K was an obvious 'in-your-face' violation, however given the size of the Iskander-M it also seems like a clear violation. Israel has one 2/3rds the diameter and 60% of the height that can reach 430km. And no point having a treaty that limits fast or stealthy strikes over short distances (500-5500km) if someone is just going to achieve the same thing via HGVs and nuclear-powered cruise missiles anyway.

That's a pretty clear signal, as far as Russia is concerned, all arms control treaties have ended.
The nuclear powered cruise missile never worked and Russia is including Avagarde in its strategic totals since it used an ICBM booster.

As for clear signals, there’s no way the US will enter another strategic arms reducing treaty that doesn’t include China anyway, so it’s an empty threat. The Biden admin I think only allowed a New START extension because it realized the US wasn’t going to introduce new launch platforms out to 2026 anyway (Sentinel, B-21, Columbia).

China is going to seek a peer level nuclear deterrent so the US doesn’t have a total domination of the escalation cycle like it does now so there won’t be any future arms control agreements. Russia will struggle to keep up with the US and China when New START ends; it won’t be the US begging them for a deal. The US could double its ballistic missile warheads fairly quickly and the Russian launchers have less of an ability to be further uploaded. Russia also has a fraction of the GDP of China or the US. It will ultimately fail to keep up with the future arms race at the end of this decade.

No. It is meant to be a deterrent. If you use it it has failed.
I don’t disagree but nevertheless both sides will engage in a large scale nuclear exchange as soon as one or the other decides deterrence has failed. Worrying about how many tactical nukes you have is like worrying how many road flares you have to light a drum of gasoline…probably the first one you use will be enough for the purpose.

Worrying about how many tactical nukes you have is like worrying how many road flares you have to light a drum of gasoline…probably the first one you use will be enough for the purpose.
I agree and it isn't just tactical nukes. This is what makes the complaints by some about not having enough weapons or that they are being out numbered when they already have hundreds or thousands of nukes both perverse and moronic.