Correct term for this part ?

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Currently working on a cutaway, I found in a drawing a linkage between the pushrods for
rudder and for elevators and would like to get to know the correct term for this part,
et si possible en francais ;)

Attachments

• linkage.jpg
    linkage.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 179
In English it is a 'bellcrank', Google translates it as 'coude'.

I always understood the technical name was "thing-a-ma-jiggie"? ::)

Randy

No, sorry, that's the left-handed one. This is more correctly known as a 'whatzit'.

Ok, it's a "bell crank", thanks.
But this bell crank is quite a general term and this one somehow mixes control inputs
for the rudder with the elevator and vice versa, as far as I can see. Still yet, I only knew
something like that for V-tails (but here it's for a conventional tail for sure), or for RC-planes,
but there rudder and ailerons were controlled with just one servo.
There probably is a special term, maybe like "control link", or "rudder mixer" or whatever
and that's what I'm looking for.

Here's an example of a bell crank distributing wheel loads from the pushrods to a torsion bar (spring), dampers, and a "third spring"/damper for ride height control. (Third and fourth pictures on page.) This basic design is very common in motorsports.

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/AcuraARX-02-3.html

Problem solved ! Many thanks for your support, it really is a "simple" bell crank ! Should have looked
closer at the top view from the beginning, it's not just one crank, but two working completely independently,
forming just a bearing for the pushrods. So, nothing exotic, just simple mechanics ... and again a wrong
interpretation of a drawing .... :-\

Thanks again to all of you ! ;)