Convair (General Dynamics) F-106C Delta Dart

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
For many years I have been a fan of the Convair F-106 Delta Dart Interceptor

I have always been impressed by this late 1950’s design and its use of a giant internal weapons layout. A design requirement that has come back into vogue with stealth!

I was looking around the net tonight when for the first time I came across an artist impression/profile of the proposed F-106C, an advanced variant of the earlier Delta Dart.
It was found on F-106 Delta Dart.com

Just in case nobody has seen it I have posted it with an F-106A for comparison

Regards
Pioneer

Attachments

• Artist impression of the proposed Convair (GD) F-106C.jpg
    Artist impression of the proposed Convair (GD) F-106C.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 957
  • F-106A Delta Dart.jpg
    F-106A Delta Dart.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 720
Looking at the F-106C side-profile, the most obvious thing is the revised cockpit and enlarged dorsal spine area just after the cockpit, when compared to that of the F-106A.

Was this enlarged dorsal spine area utilized for extra avionics or fuel???

Does anyone have any further drawings and or artist impressions of the proposed F-106C??

Regards
Pioneer

Well, Pioneer, I think the amateur artist impression you have here is not exactly realistic to begin with.

A -C was envisioned but with different ideas in mind: F-106C : Unbuilt version. Aircraft was intended to have the AN/ASG-18 radar and fire control system fitted originally developed for the F-108A Rapier. For its time it was the largest radar to ever be fitted to a fighter, actually requiring hydraulic actuators to turn the antenna. To accommodate this larger radar system, the nose cone was longer and of a greater diameter. The design featured an improved raised canopy design featuring better visibility, canards and lengthened rectangular inlet ducts. The aircraft was to be capable of carrying one GAR-9/AIM-47A in its center bay, and an AIM-26A in each side bay. At one time, the US Air Force had considered acquiring 350 of these advanced interceptors, but the F-106C/D project was cancelled on 23 September 1958. [15]

So, the -C would lie somewhere between your artist's impression and what we read above. It's profile would have been changed but not to the Mitsu F-1 inspired impression we see above. The cockpit and canopy would have been elevated as opposed to its immedate aft spine. A larger nose cone, ala the bulge we see in the early F-4 models, could be expected based upon the radar planned.

The -106 is a classic and personal favorite airplane without doubt, but, the images above don't exactly pair-up with Convair's stated ideas of an improved model.

Thanks for your reply Joein

Although I must say I am some what disappointed that the F-106C artist impression I stumbled across was not to true detail.

I thought I could have contributed something for a change!

Regards
Pioneer

starviking said:
I'm not sure how related to the proposed F-106C production model this is, but there's a good side photo of a YF-106C conversion at this page http://www.convairf-106deltadart.com/57024001Large.html

That was simply one of a pair of F-106As modified as ASG-18 testbeds. They were redesignated "F-106C". (page 63 of Landis' Valkyrie book) AFAIK these are unrelated to any planned F-106C concept.

Looking at the F-106C side-profile, the most obvious thing is the revised cockpit and enlarged dorsal spine area just after the cockpit, when compared to that of the F-106A.

Was this enlarged dorsal spine area utilized for extra avionics or fuel???

Does anyone have any further drawings and or artist impressions of the proposed F-106C??

Regards
Pioneer
I thought the proposed C model was to have canards. ?

F-106C/D: Late 1950s effort to extend the radar range of the F-106 by installing a 40-inch radar dish. YF-106C prototype flew. A proposal for a fully optimized production F-106C would have seen the radar repackaged and the forward fuselage modified with the cockpit moved forward to maintain visibility over the larger (huge) radome. Later, lower cost proposals appear to have kept the YF-106C layout under the name of F-106 Super 40.

F-106X: Late 1960s effort to improve F-106 performance with 2-D intakes, canard, new engine. Same forward fuselage as F-106A/B. (Wikipedia and their substanciating data are incorrect.)