F-105 and the Semi-Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE)

yahya

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
The Semi-Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) GCI AD could send commands to airborne interceptors like the F-86L Sabre, F-89 Scorpion, F-94 Starfire, F-101B Voodoo, F-4 Phantom and F-106 Delta Dart. The aircraft were equipped with the AN/ARR-39 SAGE Datalink Receiver or later models like the AN/ARR-44, AN/ARR-60 or AN/ARR-61. I stumbled across a reference in an old manual that some of the early F-105s, either the YF-105A prototype or the F-105A, or F-105B received the AN/ARR-39, which would suggest that these could operate in the SAGE environment. The Thuds were rather ill-suited for interceptors, and my question is whether these F-105s received the AN/ARR-39 equipment for testing or whether there was a more serious attempt to put them into the US Air Defense system?

Last edited:
The Semi-Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) GCI AD could send commands to airborne interceptors like the F-86L Sabre, F-89 Scorpion, F-94 Starfire, F-101B Voodoo, F-4 Phantom and F-106 Delta Dart. The aircraft were equipped with the AN/ARR-39 SAGE Datalink Receiver or later models like the AN/ARR-44, AN/ARR-60 or AN/ARR-61. I stumbled across a reference in an old manual that some of the early F-105s, either the YF-105A prototype or the F-105A, or F-105B received the AN/ARR-39, which would suggest that these could operate in the SAGE environment. The Thuds were rather ill-suited for interceptors, and my question is whether these F-105s received the AN/ARR-39 equipment for testing or whether there was a more serious attempt to put them into the US Air Defense system?
I doubt it, the Thuds were bombers, despite their "F" designation.

Back
Top Bottom