Colt CMG-2 LMG

there are also the CMG 1 ,Colt AR , Colt XM106 machine gun , Colt belt feed M2 HBAR and so many others.

Attachments

• Colt CMG 1.jpg
    Colt CMG 1.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 323
  • Colt CMG1 1.jpg
    Colt CMG1 1.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 313
  • Colt SMG 2.jpg
    Colt SMG 2.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 307
  • saw 2.jpg
    saw 2.jpg
    800.3 KB · Views: 188
All the inherent disadvantages of the M16 design it would seem. No wonder it was unsuccessful. I wonder why people attempt to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse?

Kadija_Man said:
All the inherent disadvantages of the M16 design it would seem. No wonder it was unsuccessful. I wonder why people attempt to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse?

Stole the neurons from inside the skull almost..Thank you for posting Tround but this LMG fell from the tree and thankfully so..

Which inherent disadvantages would these be exactly?
(To be clear, I'm asking about what you see as the disadvantages of the M16 and the cmg2 here)

If I'm remembering the cmg2 architecture right, there's also incredibly little overlap other than MAYBE the shape of the rotary bolt.

(To be clear, I'm asking about what you see as the disadvantages of the M16 and the cmg2 here)

If I'm remembering the cmg2 architecture right, there's also incredibly little overlap other than MAYBE the shape of the rotary bolt.
The lack of a piston... The M16 design is inherently flawed.

CMG-2 used a gas piston, not the direct gas system used by the M-16.

The operating mechanism is a combination from multiple previous types, though it had some original features:
  • The gas system was based on the M60
  • The feed system, and cocking, were based on the Czech Vz52
  • Ejection was similar to the Lewis gun
In retrospect what's interesting is that Colt recognized at the time that the 55 grain load for the 5.56mm didn't have the ballistics for the longer ranges expected of an LMG. Colt chose to develop a 68 grain load that was effective to longer ranges but could still be used with the same rifling as the 5.56 rifles firing 55 grain loads. This is in contrast to Mauser-IWK's contemporary 77 grain bullet which required a different rifling twist, meaning that the LMG rounds were not, strictly speaking, compatible with the squad's rifles.

This is all from Jane's Infantry Weapons 1976 BTW.

As BB1948 mentioned, the CMG-2 isn't an M-16 relative at all. The only similar working part really is the bolt itself, and it won't interchange thanks to the unique extraction technique. Are you perhaps confusing this with the Colt LMG, which is a direct-impingement gun based directly on the M16?

As BB1948 mentioned, the CMG-2 isn't an M-16 relative at all. The only similar working part really is the bolt itself, and it won't interchange thanks to the unique extraction technique. Are you perhaps confusing this with the Colt LMG, which is a direct-impingement gun based directly on the M16?
Then I am mistaken. Still a Colt product.

I beg to disagree.
Many millions of semi-automatic rifles (AR-10 AR-15, Swedish ?, Heckler & Koch G3, etc.) have been built without gas pistons and they served with distinction.
Direct gas impingement is just one of many successful semi-automatic actions: direct gas impingement, short stroke gas piston, long stroke gas piston, roller delayed, lever delayed, short recoil, long recoil, gas delayed, etc.

CMG-2 and Stoner 63 were both doomed when the US Army, for whatever reasons, demurred on a 5.56 LMG for Vietnam. Both LMG were flawed but had a lot of potential, especially given the specifics of that conflict. Even if the Army had opted for what I guess we'd now call a SAW, the SEAL's preference for the Stoner didn't bode well for the CMG-2 . . .

We've seen that the Stoner 63 had a lot of development potential (63A1 on to the Stoner / ARES Model 86 on through the Stoner / Knight’s Model 96) but it's entirely possible that Forgotten Weapons summary of the CMG-2, "With more development, it could have been a pretty good weapon", is correct.

I beg to disagree.
Many millions of semi-automatic rifles (AR-10 AR-15, Swedish ?, Heckler & Koch G3, etc.) have been built without gas pistons and they served with distinction.
Direct gas impingement is just one of many successful semi-automatic actions: direct gas impingement, short stroke gas piston, long stroke gas piston, roller delayed, lever delayed, short recoil, long recoil, gas delayed, etc.
Swedish gun was the Halvautomatiskt Gevar 42 (also referred to as the Automatgevär m/42, Ag m/42, AG42, or Ljungman), in 6.5mm. The original model dates from 1942 and was updated into the AG42B in 1953. It was also manufactured by Madsen and in Egypt, as the Hakim, in 7.92 Mauser. I believe this was the first mass produced rifle with a direct gas impingement system.

On the topic, don't forget the Swiss SIG SG 510 / Sturmgewehr 57: another roller locked rifle. It was the standard Swiss rifle, in 7.5mm, and was also adopted by Bolivia and Chile in 7.62 NATO.

All that said, gas piston operated does seem to be what everyone is converging on: H&K has moved on from roller locked and even the AR-15 platform is increasingly using gas pistons, as has it's big competitor, the AK, from the start.

I beg to disagree.
Only the M16 action and the Swedish Llungman Rifle as far as I know use direct gas systems. Such systems have been largely replaced by pistons in most upgrades.

Roller locked systems don't rely on direct gas impingment systems. They use momentum. They found they don't work very well with 5.56mm calibre rounds.

The French MAS 49/56 semi-automatic rifle also used direct gas impingement. Only about 20,000 of the original MAS 49 were built, but 275,000 of the later and shorter MAS 49/56 were built. They served during France's various colonial wars during the 1950s and 1960s. They fire the French 7.5 x 54 mm, rimless ammo.

I beg to disagree.
Only the M16 action and the Swedish Llungman Rifle as far as I know use direct gas systems. Such systems have been largely replaced by pistons in most upgrades.

Roller locked systems don't rely on direct gas impingment systems. They use momentum. They found they don't work very well with 5.56mm calibre rounds.

You mean roller delayed as in G3 , MP5 etc.
The MG42/3 is roller locked and recoil operated.

I beg to disagree.

You mean roller delayed as in G3 , MP5 etc.
The MG42/3 is roller locked and recoil operated.
Yes roller delayed... Though roller locked guns do exist too

Well since the M16 doesn't lack a piston, It's piston is just axial and composed of the ass end of the bolt.... So there's that.

And there's also the fact that the CMG 2 is actually piston operated so you're kinda 0 for 2 here...

I beg to disagree.
Also there's the fact that the M16 isn't actually true DI and instead utilizes an axial gas piston which doubles as the back of the bolt.

CMG-2 and Stoner 63 were both doomed when the US Army, for whatever reasons, demurred on a 5.56 LMG for Vietnam. Both LMG were flawed but had a lot of potential, especially given the specifics of that conflict. Even if the Army had opted for what I guess we'd now call a SAW, the SEAL's preference for the Stoner didn't bode well for the CMG-2 . . .

We've seen that the Stoner 63 had a lot of development potential (63A1 on to the Stoner / ARES Model 86 on through the Stoner / Knight’s Model 96) but it's entirely possible that Forgotten Weapons summary of the CMG-2, "With more development, it could have been a pretty good weapon", is correct.

The US army threw away it's chances at an absolutely superb 5.56 belt fed (that also had a 7.62 NATO conversion developed and working) in the xm235/xm248 which eclipsed both the 63 and cmg2 in pretty much every way. Hell it even WON the SAW competition only to have the army go with the vastly inferior FN gun which we're now stuck with endless iterations of that get progressively more expensive and worse as the decades pass...

The mk48 and the FN version of the 240L both have had hilarious amounts of money and development dumped into them in order to finally get them to meet the contractual minimum service life round counts utterly in vain.

And now the army in it's infinite wisdom, after also rejecting a better 80% cheaper 50 bmg gun designed by the same team who did the 235/248 in the 80's is once again handing FN money to "lightweight the m2" based on "their successful work with mk46 mk48 and m240L" (the mk46 being the only one even remotely considerable as a success and even that has disturbingly low receiver life)

This series of bad decisions through the 70's and early 80's is what got us to this point where we keep paying FN in the hopes that this time it will be different because there's effectively almost no other options...

Some of you may object and bring up the new sig beltfeds and the knights LAMG or even worse you'll bring up the FN evolys (which if they make the mistake of buying it this time after ngsw rejected it once, socom rejected it an additional time, euro specops also rejected it after pouring more money into it, and FN abandoning the patents for two years until they found out ngsw was a trashfire and drug it back out)

1. The sig belt feds may be ok but their recoil reduction strategy flat doesn't work currently. (Probably because their designer's good work is still owned by GD and he was having to work around his own prior art as he was involved in xm307 xm806 the lwmmg and more)

2. Knight's badly bungled the LAMG and AMG and the guns are at best only suitable for socom like groups who can afford to constantly buy new guns every couple years because there's serious durability issues baked in.

3. The evolys is a trashfire that still doesn't make the grade which is why we see it's configuration continuously changing between every defense expo and PR blitz. But that's not even the worst of evolys' problems! Because it's also going to be ridiculously expensive and for the foreseeable future only be able to be manufactured in relatively small lots due to requiring extensive use of high end metal printing which no one in this industrial sector has the real capacity to do in quantity. (Delta P is essentially maxing out the entire gun industry's metal printing resources just trying to make enough suppressors for the ngsw evaluation program! And a can just on size alone is far easier and faster to print than an MG receiver)

The sad reality is we have all but pissed away our gun r&d complex and are now paying obscene amounts to bad contractors to jog in place.

And the actual good stuff that's out there like the Barrett 240L entry and it's lws version both of which have a service life at least as long as a 240 golf while having significantly reduced weights languishes and only sees sales to foreign customers.

We have unfortunately brought all this on ourselves and are left with a bunch of very bad but excessively expensive "options" none of which even match much less exceed designs we failed to adopt in the late 70's and early 80's.

Well since the M16 doesn't lack a piston, It's piston is just axial and composed of the ass end of the bolt.... So there's that.

It lacks a classic piston, which is it's failing...

The US army threw away it's chances at an absolutely superb 5.56 belt fed (that also had a 7.62 NATO conversion developed and working) in the xm235/xm248 which eclipsed both the 63 and cmg2 in pretty much every way. Hell it even WON the SAW competition only to have the army go with the vastly inferior FN gun which we're now stuck with endless iterations of that get progressively more expensive and worse as the decades pass...

The mk48 and the FN version of the 240L both have had hilarious amounts of money and development dumped into them in order to finally get them to meet the contractual minimum service life round counts utterly in vain.

And now the army in it's infinite wisdom, after also rejecting a better 80% cheaper 50 bmg gun designed by the same team who did the 235/248 in the 80's is once again handing FN money to "lightweight the m2" based on "their successful work with mk46 mk48 and m240L" (the mk46 being the only one even remotely considerable as a success and even that has disturbingly low receiver life)

This series of bad decisions through the 70's and early 80's is what got us to this point where we keep paying FN in the hopes that this time it will be different because there's effectively almost no other options...

Some of you may object and bring up the new sig beltfeds and the knights LAMG or even worse you'll bring up the FN evolys (which if they make the mistake of buying it this time after ngsw rejected it once, socom rejected it an additional time, euro specops also rejected it after pouring more money into it, and FN abandoning the patents for two years until they found out ngsw was a trashfire and drug it back out)

1. The sig belt feds may be ok but their recoil reduction strategy flat doesn't work currently. (Probably because their designer's good work is still owned by GD and he was having to work around his own prior art as he was involved in xm307 xm806 the lwmmg and more)

2. Knight's badly bungled the LAMG and AMG and the guns are at best only suitable for socom like groups who can afford to constantly buy new guns every couple years because there's serious durability issues baked in.

3. The evolys is a trashfire that still doesn't make the grade which is why we see it's configuration continuously changing between every defense expo and PR blitz. But that's not even the worst of evolys' problems! Because it's also going to be ridiculously expensive and for the foreseeable future only be able to be manufactured in relatively small lots due to requiring extensive use of high end metal printing which no one in this industrial sector has the real capacity to do in quantity. (Delta P is essentially maxing out the entire gun industry's metal printing resources just trying to make enough suppressors for the ngsw evaluation program! And a can just on size alone is far easier and faster to print than an MG receiver)

The sad reality is we have all but pissed away our gun r&d complex and are now paying obscene amounts to bad contractors to jog in place.

And the actual good stuff that's out there like the Barrett 240L entry and it's lws version both of which have a service life at least as long as a 240 golf while having significantly reduced weights languishes and only sees sales to foreign customers.

We have unfortunately brought all this on ourselves and are left with a bunch of very bad but excessively expensive "options" none of which even match much less exceed designs we failed to adopt in the late 70's and early 80's.
In testing, the US Army found the only way to induce a stoppage on the FN-MAG was to pour sand into the mechanism, I am unsure what your claiming about the gun...

There is nothing inherently wrong with direct impingement. Nor the AR15 platform. Although early models and early 5.56 were not optimized.

There is nothing inherently wrong with direct impingement. Nor the AR15 platform. Although early models and early 5.56 were not optimized.
No there is nothing inherently wrong with idea just the way the M16 went about it meant that it easily fouled with carbon. So much so that the world has been set against the idea. No where else is such a system hailed as the be-all and end-all. So much so that the rest of the world is keen on replacing it with a proper piston...

In testing, the US Army found the only way to induce a stoppage on the FN-MAG was to pour sand into the mechanism, I am unsure what your claiming about the gun...

The issue with the FN MAG/M-240 is that the original version weighs far too much and the lighter versions have a terrible service life because they beat themselves to death.

The XM-235/238 got wrapped up in the 6mm experiment, another case of the best being the enemy of the good enough. The Army could have specified a heavier bullet to get longer ranged performance (Colt had already worked with 68 grain and Mauser-IWK with 77 grain) and gotten longer range without a new caliber. Instead they wasted time and money on a new 6mm round optimized for the SAW role, then used the 6mm requirement to disqualify both the Stoner and the CGM-2, then cancelled the 6mm entirely when reality reared it's ugly head.

How those guns would have done against the XM-235/238 is an interesting question, but one of the big things about the XM-235 was that it was designed to shoot very smoothly for improved accuracy, something the Stoner already excelled at (see the test fire video here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LVWNGRjD0g
).

As for Stoner durability, maybe that is an issue. I'd argue that in peacetime normal troops don't fire enough ammunition for it to be an issue, and, in wartime, and for spec ops in peacetime, the cost of replacing LMG every 10 years instead of every 20 years is meaningless. Also the SEALS kept the Stoners in service for about 20 years, which included wartime service, so they had some level of durability.

So let's assume you're right for a minute...

If that were the case then the hk416 which just adds a classic piston to the design should meaningfully improve service life and etc, except it doesn't. Breakage rates on the 416 are through the roof compared to the actual m16.

Oh BTW, the 416 is also much more expensive, needs much more frequent cleaning to stay working, and is very meaningfully heavier to boot.

ETA: Also I'm still unclear why you see any of this as a disadvantage since the things you've mentioned are actually the strengths of the M16 operating system. To be clear there are a couple weaknesses, you just haven't named them. I don't like X Is not a design weakness, it's a personal opinion likely born out of a lack of knowledge and tangible real world experience.

Last edited:

The FN mag is not the m240 and definitely not the m240L and not even related to the mark 46 or mark 48.

I also was talking about longevity not mtbf.

The XM-235/238 got wrapped up in the 6mm experiment, another case of the best being the enemy of the good enough. The Army could have specified a heavier bullet to get longer ranged performance (Colt had already worked with 68 grain and Mauser-IWK with 77 grain) and gotten longer range without a new caliber. Instead they wasted time and money on a new 6mm round optimized for the SAW role, then used the 6mm requirement to disqualify both the Stoner and the CGM-2, then cancelled the 6mm entirely when reality reared it's ugly head.

How those guns would have done against the XM-235/238 is an interesting question, but one of the big things about the XM-235 was that it was designed to shoot very smoothly for improved accuracy, something the Stoner already excelled at (see the test fire video here:
).

As for Stoner durability, maybe that is an issue. I'd argue that in peacetime normal troops don't fire enough ammunition for it to be an issue, and, in wartime, and for spec ops in peacetime, the cost of replacing LMG every 10 years instead of every 20 years is meaningless. Also the SEALS kept the Stoners in service for about 20 years, which included wartime service, so they had some level of durability.
The xm235/248 was actually built and chambered in 5.56, 6mm saw, AND 7.62X51 NATO!

Fun fact, the 7.62 NATO version (which only required a subassembly swap to switch between calibers) weighed 13 pounds with a 24" barrel with the 5.56 version clocking in at 11.7 pounds again with 24" barrel. If you go look at what the FN evolys and knights LAMG/AMG versions weigh right now you'll find that the xm235 is still competitive with best ultralight guns of today even when handicapped with it's 50% longer barrel.

Also you're talking about the stoner durability situation without being aware that the way seals kept their very few guns running was by sitting on a massive mountain of spares as well as extensive and frequent rebuilds which normal line unit guns can't and wouldn't get.

Also, I wasn't comparing the 235/248 to the stoner but rather the current FN products the mk46 mk48 and m240L all of which are heavier, have notional service Lives of about a quarter the service life of the original 240 or the xm235/248 (25k rounds for mk46 mk48 and m240L vs 100k+ rounds for m240/xm235/xm248) and still can't MEET that 25k round service life metric despite multiple revisions and millions of dollars over the last 8-10 years.

What's worse is that we already know the knights LAMG and AMG are going to be plagued by very low round count service lives as well due to poor choices in their construction while also being much more expensive than an xm235/248.

I actually have the cost justifications and evaluations data from the original saw competition which shows the xm235/248 winning on both cost durability and performance by fairly generous margins (think less than half the cost of the xm249 at the time)

I'll pull the cost analysis another day but for now here's the reference on the weights of the 5.56 and 7.62 NATO version of the 235

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211213-222507.png
    Screenshot_20211213-222507.png
    711.7 KB · Views: 71

).

Also I'm having a few issues trying to respond to you in a way that makes sense as you are mixing together the attributes of multiple guns without meaning to which makes sending a cogent response tricky.

For one you're bringing up the stoner 63 which has nothing to do with what I posted. The knights LAMG and AMG are based off the later stoner 86 design which is a completely different gun than the 63 to a point where bringing up the 63 at all muddies the water on it's own. You seem a little unclear on them being totally different designs where the only relationship between them and the LAMG and AMG is how many lugs are on the bolt face. Additionally you seem to be rolling the LAMG and amg's pseudo constant recoil features into the stoner 63 which it did not have.

I'll Grant you that the 63 is a very nice shooting gun though, however the 235 and 248 shoot competitively with the barely introduced In the last 5 years knights LAMG and AMG and substantially better than the 63. The 235/248 is the waypoint between guns like the stoner 63 and Sullivan's constant recoil ultimax. While not full constant recoil like the ultimax (neither are the knights guns because that introduces penalties on your design they couldn't afford and meet weight) the 235/248's were built to be substantially softer shooting at a much lower weight than contemporary competitors like xm249 etc and would be broadly competitive even now with the best of what fn and knights can offer while still being almost frighteningly cheaper, more manufacturable, and conducive to how we do warfare now.

Second you're bringing up the xm235/248 having 6mm saw versions as if they're the only versions when the xm235 was built in 5.56 6 saw and 7.62 NATO AND was one of the guns who did the testing on the various improved 5.56 loadings you keep bringing up which implies that it worked just fine with all of them (considering that the only change necessary to shoot the various loadings is a change in rifling twist and rodman labs was one of the places doing studies on barrels and optimized twist this also doesn't track)

I'll absolutely grant that ALL of this is very niche information which very few people have a good handle on but it does make it slightly more difficult to respond.

If you want I can break down the differences between the stoner 63 and the 86/knights LAMG and AMG as well as the differences between the various fn guns I listed.

).

Also I'm having a few issues trying to respond to you in a way that makes sense as you are mixing together the attributes of multiple guns without meaning to which makes sending a cogent response tricky.

For one you're bringing up the stoner 63 which has nothing to do with what I posted. The knights LAMG and AMG are based off the later stoner 86 design which is a completely different gun than the 63 to a point where bringing up the 63 at all muddies the water on it's own. You seem a little unclear on them being totally different designs where the only relationship between them and the LAMG and AMG is how many lugs are on the bolt face. Additionally you seem to be rolling the LAMG and amg's pseudo constant recoil features into the stoner 63 which it did not have.

I'll Grant you that the 63 is a very nice shooting gun though, however the 235 and 248 shoot competitively with the barely introduced In the last 5 years knights LAMG and AMG and substantially better than the 63. The 235/248 is the waypoint between guns like the stoner 63 and Sullivan's constant recoil ultimax. While not full constant recoil like the ultimax (neither are the knights guns because that introduces penalties on your design they couldn't afford and meet weight) the 235/248's were built to be substantially softer shooting at a much lower weight than contemporary competitors like xm249 etc and would be broadly competitive even now with the best of what fn and knights can offer while still being almost frighteningly cheaper, more manufacturable, and conducive to how we do warfare now.

Second you're bringing up the xm235/248 having 6mm saw versions as if they're the only versions when the xm235 was built in 5.56 6 saw and 7.62 NATO AND was one of the guns who did the testing on the various improved 5.56 loadings you keep bringing up which implies that it worked just fine with all of them (considering that the only change necessary to shoot the various loadings is a change in rifling twist and rodman labs was one of the places doing studies on barrels and optimized twist this also doesn't track)

I'll absolutely grant that ALL of this is very niche information which very few people have a good handle on but it does make it slightly more difficult to respond.

If you want I can break down the differences between the stoner 63 and the 86/knights LAMG and AMG as well as the differences between the various fn guns I listed.

I appreciate the detailed feedback but I wasn't trying to make as many points as it may have sounded like. Roughly in order:
  • I brought up the Stoner 63 because both it and the CMG-2 were disqualified from the SAW trials because they weren't available in 6mm. They should have been allowed in the competition, which reverted to 5.56mm anyway. Note that I am not saying they would have won, just that they should have been in (the Stoner 63 at least as a "control" weapon, since there was actual combat experience with it).
  • I brought up the Stoner 63 - 63A1 - ARES Model 86 - Stoner / Knight’s Model 96 development line only to illustrate that the gun had development potential. I did not intend to imply anything else and I understand that the guns are not interchangeable and were available at different times.
  • My point about the Stoner 63 being very smooth when shooting was just that. I am not denying that other guns shoot well, or even smoother, sometimes using different design approaches. I was saying that any advantage they might have over the Stoner is less than what would be over any other Stoner contemporary LMG.
  • It was not my intent to sound like I was saying that the XM-235/248 were only available in 6mm. My point was only about how the army's foray into 6mm warped the SAW competition and wasted time and money that could have been spent on getting a "good enough" 5.56mm SAW in service, preferably with a 68-77 grain loading. Maybe the right choice was a 5.56mm XM-235/248, and maybe the 7.62mm version was great; I'm just saying that the 6mm version was a waste of time and money.
  • Ref "the way seals kept their very few guns running was by sitting on a massive mountain of spares as well as extensive and frequent rebuilds which normal line unit guns can't and wouldn't get", I'm not arguing with you. My point was that in peacetime the SEALS shoot as much ammo in a year as a line infantry unit does in what, 5 years? 10 years? so spec ops have the resources to keep them running and line infantry has much less wear and tear, so either way you have an acceptable service life. I'm saying "acceptable", not "good", not "great": my only point here is that this should not disqualify the Stoner from consideration, not that it wasn't an issue with the design.
  • Ref "If you want I can break down the differences between the stoner 63 and the 86/knights LAMG and AMG as well as the differences between the various fn guns I listed." Please do. I'd be very interested in the information you have about the Stoner/ARES/Knight's progression in particular and it would be much appreciated.

f

The FN mag is not the m240 and definitely not the m240L and not even related to the mark 46 or mark 48.

MTBF is how reliability is measured. The M240 is an FN-MAG. The FN-MAG is the second most reliable MG ever designed. The Vickers is the most reliable MG.

If that were the case then the hk416 which just adds a classic piston to the design should meaningfully improve service life and etc, except it doesn't. Breakage rates on the 416 are through the roof compared to the actual m16.

Oh BTW, the 416 is also much more expensive, needs much more frequent cleaning to stay working, and is very meaningfully heavier to boot.

ETA: Also I'm still unclear why you see any of this as a disadvantage since the things you've mentioned are actually the strengths of the M16 operating system. To be clear there are a couple weaknesses, you just haven't named them. I don't like X Is not a design weakness, it's a personal opinion likely born out of a lack of knowledge and tangible real world experience.
I have fired the M16 when I served with the Australian Army. We were generally equipped with L1a1 rifles - FN-FAL only able to fire semi-automatically. The M16 was issued to lead scouts basically. It was considered a bit of a joke - always prone to stoppages and fouling because it lacked a regular gas piston, unlike the L1a1. The L1a1 could basically keep on firing, no matter what. The M16 could't penetrate much, whereas the L1a1 could go through double brick walls with ease. My opinion is personal - backed by extensive reading of Janes and similar publications. I have also fired XM16s and original M16s. None were reliable.

).

I'll Grant you that the 63 is a very nice shooting gun though, however the 235 and 248 shoot competitively with the barely introduced In the last 5 years knights LAMG and AMG and substantially better than the 63. The 235/248 is the waypoint between guns like the stoner 63 and Sullivan's constant recoil ultimax. While not full constant recoil like the ultimax (neither are the knights guns because that introduces penalties on your design they couldn't afford and meet weight) the 235/248's were built to be substantially softer shooting at a much lower weight than contemporary competitors like xm249 etc and would be broadly competitive even now with the best of what fn and knights can offer while still being almost frighteningly cheaper, more manufacturable, and conducive to how we do warfare now

).

I appreciate the detailed feedback but I wasn't trying to make as many points as it may have sounded like. Roughly in order:
  • I brought up the Stoner 63 because both it and the CMG-2 were disqualified from the SAW trials because they weren't available in 6mm. They should have been allowed in the competition, which reverted to 5.56mm anyway. Note that I am not saying they would have won, just that they should have been in (the Stoner 63 at least as a "control" weapon, since there was actual combat experience with it).
  • I brought up the Stoner 63 - 63A1 - ARES Model 86 - Stoner / Knight’s Model 96 development line only to illustrate that the gun had development potential. I did not intend to imply anything else and I understand that the guns are not interchangeable and were available at different times.
  • My point about the Stoner 63 being very smooth when shooting was just that. I am not denying that other guns shoot well, or even smoother, sometimes using different design approaches. I was saying that any advantage they might have over the Stoner is less than what would be over any other Stoner contemporary LMG.
  • It was not my intent to sound like I was saying that the XM-235/248 were only available in 6mm. My point was only about how the army's foray into 6mm warped the SAW competition and wasted time and money that could have been spent on getting a "good enough" 5.56mm SAW in service, preferably with a 68-77 grain loading. Maybe the right choice was a 5.56mm XM-235/248, and maybe the 7.62mm version was great; I'm just saying that the 6mm version was a waste of time and money.
  • Ref "the way seals kept their very few guns running was by sitting on a massive mountain of spares as well as extensive and frequent rebuilds which normal line unit guns can't and wouldn't get", I'm not arguing with you. My point was that in peacetime the SEALS shoot as much ammo in a year as a line infantry unit does in what, 5 years? 10 years? so spec ops have the resources to keep them running and line infantry has much less wear and tear, so either way you have an acceptable service life. I'm saying "acceptable", not "good", not "great": my only point here is that this should not disqualify the Stoner from consideration, not that it wasn't an issue with the design.
  • Ref "If you want I can break down the differences between the stoner 63 and the 86/knights LAMG and AMG as well as the differences between the various fn guns I listed." Please do. I'd be very interested in the information you have about the Stoner/ARES/Knight's progression in particular and it would be much appreciated.
Ok yeah I understand exactly what you were saying now.

Personally I am a huge fan of the 63 and yes both it and cmg2 should have been included in the SAW program, which was a badly run disaster from start to finish.

There are two incidents besides the DQ of perfectly good guns that illustrate this.

1. Early in the program when they did a spectrum study and design analysis of what the ideal cartridge would be for this application the analysis came up saying a cartridge my friends and I have dubbed 5.56 Saw was the ideal way to go. They did actually make barrels and rounds for this and did some limited testing which is lost to the world now with a very superlative beast of a 5.56 round. (think Russian 6x49 universal but in 5.56)

But various people did not like 5.56 being the answer so they forced a restart and the design of the various 6 SAW cartridges (there's several not just one)

2. As the program reached the final decision point they did analyses of the remaining contenders, came to the conclusion that the xm248 was the better gun, was cheaper, and then promptly picked the m249 citing a "lack of confidence in the existing American machine gun establishment to successfully manufacture the 248 as the reason for picking the heavier, more expensive, and worse gun.

The cost analysis and final evaluation stuff is available at the small arms review archive and it tells the story pretty damningly.

This is why we get these interesting little asides from contemporary sources about the army really wanting the magazine feed option to not require a single pin adapter install or the nebulous and entirely unsupported "somehow Philco bungled the 248 and it did badly in the final trials" assertions which aren't actually supported by the evidence.

What's most frustrating about this is the xm248 or a different prime contractors spin on the original rodman work could have provided us with a suite of both 5.56 and 7.62 guns that were cheaper lighter and better suited to current needs had some people not made very bad decisions then..

Now onto the modern knights incarnation of the stoner 86 or whatever we want to call it. The bolt carrier runs on bare aluminum guide rails machined into the receiver walls and as we know aluminum, even really high end aluminum, doesn't "fatigue" like steel... Once it reaches its threshold stress values it just kinda dustifies.

Due to the nature of even the less stressful Knight's belt feed system this is going to result in these guns having pretty short lifespans, especially the 7.62 version.

The other "new MG designs" in competition for various programs right now are all remarkably troubled in some way or another or will wind up being too expensive and requiring things like high end 3d metal printing to be manufactured in real quantities (fn evolys).

The bad decisions from that era very much haunt us today m

f

MTBF is how reliability is measured. The M240 is an FN-MAG. The FN-MAG is the second most reliable MG ever designed. The Vickers is the most reliable MG.
The m240 is not the FN mag, it is based on the mag but substantial changes have been made. The FN M240L MOST DEFINITELY isn't an "FN MAG" and is a deeply troubled program.

Being blunt here, I don't have a lot bad to say about the mag itself or some of the earlier 240's but the stuff FN USA has done to it in the intervening 6 DECADES has substantially degraded what was a very reliable if heavy but trustworthy gun.

I have fired the M16 when I served with the Australian Army. We were generally equipped with L1a1 rifles - FN-FAL only able to fire semi-automatically. The M16 was issued to lead scouts basically. It was considered a bit of a joke - always prone to stoppages and fouling because it lacked a regular gas piston, unlike the L1a1. The L1a1 could basically keep on firing, no matter what. The M16 could't penetrate much, whereas the L1a1 could go through double brick walls with ease. My opinion is personal - backed by extensive reading of Janes and similar publications. I have also fired XM16s and original M16s. None were reliable.
Yes and absolutely nothing has changed about the M16 in all the time since then....

I hope you can sense my sarcasm and derision here.

You did this Same thing with "the FN MAG" too though as if you've entirely unaware that either thing has evolved substantially to the point where they're literal guns of Theseus at this point.

Also, suffice it to say that I'll take my own personal experience owning well into the double digits worth of AR's over the last 25 year over what Janes has to say.

I've had a couple AR's I ran almost entirely on a diet of dodgy Russian commercial steel case ammo that I have shot an entire barrel out of with nothing more than the occasional bolt lug and bbl extension scrape and a Windex bottle full of CLP for "maintenance".

I'll Grant that early AR's had multiple rather severe issues, which were mostly fixed by the m16a1 era, but for you to think somehow that they haven't been improved in the intervening decades is both perplexing and frankly laughable... Especially given that the AR15 dominates in both sales volume and number of countries using them who have went out and specifically bought them.

I don't really have much more to say on this, you're totally free to have an utterly ridiculous opinion if you want to.

f

The m240 is not the FN mag, it is based on the mag but substantial changes have been made. The FN M240L MOST DEFINITELY isn't an "FN MAG" and is a deeply troubled program.

Being blunt here, I don't have a lot bad to say about the mag itself or some of the earlier 240's but the stuff FN USA has done to it in the intervening 6 DECADES has substantially degraded what was a very reliable if heavy but trustworthy gun.
The M240 is the FN-MAG. Attempts to claim otherwise show your ignorance of what constitutes an FN-MAG.

Yes and absolutely nothing has changed about the M16 in all the time since then....

You did this Same thing with "the FN MAG" too though as if you've entirely unaware that either thing has evolved substantially to the point where they're literal guns of Theseus at this point.

Also, suffice it to say that I'll take my own personal experience owning well into the double digits worth of AR's over the last 25 year over what Janes has to say.

I've had a couple AR's I ran almost entirely on a diet of dodgy Russian commercial steel case ammo that I have shot an entire barrel out of with nothing more than the occasional bolt lug and bbl extension scrape and a Windex bottle full of CLP for "maintenance".

I'll Grant that early AR's had multiple rather severe issues, which were mostly fixed by the m16a1 era, but for you to think somehow that they haven't been improved in the intervening decades is both perplexing and frankly laughable... Especially given that the AR15 dominates in both sales volume and number of countries using them who have went out and specifically bought them.

I don't really have much more to say on this, you're totally free to have an utterly ridiculous opinion if you want to.
Substatially nothing has changed with the FN-MAG or the M16 as far as I can tell. The FN-MAG beat the M60 in 1959 but a political decision saw us saddled with the POS M60 until it was replaced with the L7 - the British version of the FN-MAG in 1987. The M16 still does not use a piston unless modified by an update. What ever the Americans have chosen to do has not change how either weapon works. The US Army appears unable to see a proper MG or assault rifle produced. QED.

Can we take this elsewhere? It long-since stopped being relevant to the CMG-2.

f

The M240 is the FN-MAG. Attempts to claim otherwise show your ignorance of what constitutes an FN-MAG.
This is an absurdly reductionist view of things considering how few parts are even interchangeable... Which you'd know if you actually payed enough attention to this particular subject to warrant having an opinion anywhere near as strong as you do.

Substatially nothing has changed with the FN-MAG or the M16 as far as I can tell. The FN-MAG beat the M60 in 1959 but a political decision saw us saddled with the POS M60 until it was replaced with the L7 - the British version of the FN-MAG in 1987. The M16 still does not use a piston unless modified by an update. What ever the Americans have chosen to do has not change how either weapon works. The US Army appears unable to see a proper MG or assault rifle produced. QED.
That's just on it's face so blatantly wrong that after this message I'm going to entirely stop responding to you.

Once again as with the mag situation, your utter failure to inform yourself of what has been going on has no bearing on the actual reality of either of these systems.

You can choose to wallow in your ignorance and utter lack of information but no one else is obligated to take you in the least bit seriously should you choose to do so.

Oh also, the M16 has always had a piston, still does, and frankly it's part of what makes it one of if not THE MOST dominant gun choices of the last half of 20th century and will continue holding it in good stead and head and shoulders above all comers through at least the first quarter of the 21st century.