Kynoch (Schwarzlose patent) Machine Gun

Graham1973

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Found an interesting piece of historical trivia over at the Forgotten Weapons blog. Kynoch, a company I mainly associate with shotgun cartridges and the like, used to manufacture a licenced copy of the Austro-Hungarian Schwarzlose HMG.

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/kynoch-machine-gun/

Linked below is a 1907 advertising circular found on the page linked above. According to the blog entry Kynoch claimed to have been offering such weapons since the 1890's, which is interesting because the gun advertised was not created until around 1902.

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-content/uploads/Schwarzlose/Kynoch%20Machine%20Gun.pdf

One thing I would be interested in finding out was just how long were these guns offered by Kynoch and any details on the caliber, Wikipedia has a speculative note that the Kynoch version was chambered for .303, but I have a suspicion that might have proved too powerful for the breach mechanism.

(Edit:I've added a couple of pictures from the Kynoch advertising circular.)

Attachments

• Kynoch_Machine_Gun_01.png
    Kynoch_Machine_Gun_01.png
    320.2 KB · Views: 199
  • Kynoch_Machine_Gun_02.png
    Kynoch_Machine_Gun_02.png
    613 KB · Views: 193
Graham1973 said:
One thing I would be interested in finding out was just how long were these guns offered by Kynoch and any details on the caliber, Wikipedia has a speculative note that the Kynoch version was chambered for .303, but I have a suspicion that might have proved too powerful for the breach mechanism.

I doubt it. The Schwarzlose was made for a number of countries in several different calibres including 7.9x57, which was more powerful than the .303. It saw extensive service in WW1, and was a standard aircraft as well as ground gun for the Austro-Hungarians.

Tony Williams said:
Graham1973 said:

I doubt it. The Schwarzlose was made for a number of countries in several different calibres including 7.9x57, which was more powerful than the .303. It saw extensive service in WW1, and was a standard aircraft as well as ground gun for the Austro-Hungarians.

Thanks for the clarification.