Chris Gibson - The Air Staff and the Helicopter - Blue Envoy Press

fightingirish

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Thorvic at whatifmodellers said:
Blue Envoy Press present their next title, The Air staff and the Helicopter.

The helicopter’s appearance at the end of the Second World War presented Britain’s armed forces with a quandary – what should it be used for and who should operate it? Initially seen as a replacement for the light liaison aircraft in army co-operation and artillery observation roles, as their load carrying capabilities improved the helicopter was viewed as a logistics aircraft that could support the British Army in the field.

The RAF was ultimately given control of that aspect of the helicopter and this is the subject of The Air Staff and the Helicopter.

From the Air Horse of 1947 and the plans for a ‘Hover Force’ and ‘flying three tonner’, the RAF’s equipment ranged from the Belvedere, Wessex and Puma in the Sixties and Seventies to the advent of the Chinook in the Eighties and Merlin in the Noughties. The Air Staff and the Helicopter examines the numerous projects and design studies and outlines how that army support role became key to British operations around the world.

The Air Staff and the Helicopter draws on archive material and, using new artwork and photos, shows how the RAF’s transport helicopters evolved to meet the challenges it faced around the world.

Projects covered include the Fairey Rotodyne, Blackburn's SP.60 Helicrane and B.118 lifting platform, Bristol Siddeley's 'Flying pigs'. The saga of AST.404 and the short-lived Merlin.

'Ivan doesn't hunt!' - If you love the smell of napalm in the morning, you'll enjoy the 'Household Air Cav', who would have loved the smell of stirrup cup in the morning and probably lugged their hunters around in the back of their Air Horses. An interesting diversion into the use of helicopters for air assault in the early 1950s.

Chris

Source: http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,43025.msg747637.html#msg747637

When would Chris like to take our money for one of these? ;D

Cool cover as usual. I'm wondering what the single rotor gunship is, Westland Scout related?

have you included the Jumping Jeep. Looks a good book for me

Somehow I didn't find that topic with some searchwords before starting this one.
Edit:
At home now, I just noticed the subforum Secret Projects Forum » Blue Envoy Press » ProjectTech Profiles.
Yesterday, before starting this topic by my own, I had no link and no access to that subform.
Sorry for the double posting! :-[

So, dear Mods, please delete or merge this topic. :)

No Jumping Jeep I'm afraid as it was an Army job. Those might appear elsewhere though.

Chris

Hello. I'm just wondering where I can get this book and some other of the books from Blue Envoy Press?

The helicopter book won't be out until about March, but the rest are available so send me a PM, tell me what you'd like, where to send them and I can sort it out.

Thanks

Chris

Chris
Atlas Shoulders has wet my appetite and I look forward to March. Have a fine Christmas you have earned it.

The helicopter’s appearance at the end of the Second World War presented Britain’s armed forces with a quandary

The Second World War ended in 1943?

Just had mine delivered today, will have a read this evening B)

Hi,

does this book include HS-837A & HS-837B Projects ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 109
Hi Chris,

It appears I’ve miss the boat IRT to this book and I’m wondering where I can get a copy of this book as I a number of yours already.

I have the following books:
Listening In,
Vulcan’s Hammer
Nimrod Genesis
Battle Flight,
On Atlas Shoulders and I’m about to place an advanced order for next one
Typhoon to Typhoon

Apart from the Helicopter one is there any others that I’ve missed?

You are missing the Project Tech Profile books by Chris. I also recommend the Project Tech books not by Chris, like the ones by me, Mike Pryce and James Jackson :)

You are missing the Project Tech Profile books by Chris. I also recommend the Project Tech books not by Chris, like the ones by me, Mike Pryce and James Jackson :)

Mate,

I’ve never of heard of Project Tech Profile book by Chris and let alone you, Mike Pryce and James Jackson. But then again I only found Chris Gibson books by accident when I was rebuilding my rather large library as I managed to lose my existing library in a defence removal from hell when a train over a flooded bridge just Nth of Katherine in NT Australia while on posting from Melbourne to RAAF Base Tindal in the NT about 6 or 7 yrs ago.

With Tony Butlers and Chris Gibson’s books have been a fantastic read at where the UK aerospace companies and where the MoD/ FAA or RAF were heading. I was going mention BEA and BOAC but they managed to wreck a number of very good airliner concepts like Trident from DH etc without the pollies sticking their fingers in places where should’ve been.

Then we have that idiot pollie Jenkins who said “Why do we need to have satellites” just as the joint Australian- British Space Program and the resulting projects were starting too hit its boot straps especially when Australia was pouring some serious money into Woomera until the bloody pommy pollies pull the plug on everything at Woomera in the 70’s.

But I heard a few rumours on the BAE Taranis project while I was still in the mob before I was medically discharged. The Taranis was kicking a few goals to a point it’s almost the bees knees to compare to what’s currently out there, which must say of the something of the R&D design offices still in the UK atm.

Holy moly, what interesting series of book and the type that I like to read during the Nth Australia Wet Season when I get the shits building my 1/700 ships or the summer of cricket has rain delay. Are these still available for purchase? As I’m about to put a deposit down for Chris’s new book.
They should mostly be available direct from the publisher, Chris Gibson, though I think he's running low on my P.1121 book.

Holy moly, what interesting series of book and the type that I like to read during the Nth Australia Wet Season when I get the shits building my 1/700 ships or the summer of cricket has rain delay. Are these still available for purchase? As I’m about to put a deposit down for Chris’s new book.
They should mostly be available direct from the publisher, Chris Gibson, though I think he's running low on my P.1121 book.

Cheers mate, I’ll make contact with the publisher and see what happens.

Cheers, EXF