Deino

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Just "found" at XAC ... not sure if a Y-7-derivate or a completely new type, but anyway most likely something new from China again.

Deino

China naval AEW (most likely) spotted

Attachments

• New AEW type maybe.jpg
    New AEW type maybe.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 610

JFC Fuller

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Well, there is a dish, and it looks like it has three tail-fins, beyond that I have nothing. If it is a fixed wing naval AEW platform it is a game changer compared to what we have seen before and lends credence to the recent rumours (which I still dont believe) that there is a CV under construction in JN.

Deino

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
sealordlawrence said:
Well, there is a dish, and it looks like it has three tail-fins, beyond that I have nothing. If it is a fixed wing naval AEW platform it is a game changer compared to what we have seen before and lends credence to the recent rumours (which I still dont believe) that there is a CV under construction in JN.

I would say it has four fins .. the one in red-white-blue-typical Xian-colours for a prototype.

http://cnair.top81.cn/Ka-31_Z-8AEW.htm#Y-7AWACS

I agree with You being quite sceptical about that bird, however some quite reliable "big shrimps" reported already that a prototype is under test at Xian-Yanglian - which si sadly not that accessable like Chengdu - since September.

But again ... let's wait !

Deino

LowObservable

Reaction score
Verryyy interresting...

But understandable given the pace of China's carrier development. A carrier with 600+ nm-radius jets and no AEW is a bit of a nonsense, and AEW is one of the most important assets that the carrier brings to air-sea warfare.

chuck4

Reaction score
LowObservable said:
Verryyy interresting...

But understandable given the pace of China's carrier development. A carrier with 600+ nm-radius jets and no AEW is a bit of a nonsense, and AEW is one of the most important assets that the carrier brings to air-sea warfare.

That would imply a catapult equipped carrier, not something based on the Varyag or needed for the J-15.

Deino

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
slightly better ...

Attachments

• New AEW type - better.jpg
    New AEW type - better.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 573
  • J-10B new aircraft - 1034 maybe + naval AEW.jpg
    J-10B new aircraft - 1034 maybe + naval AEW.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 556

chuck4

Reaction score
Provided this is a carrier based aircraft, could this be based on the cancelled Yak-44? Considering this is China's first outing designing a carrier based aircraft, I suspect they would not strike out entirely on their own if they can benefit from existing foreign experience. I don't think a plane like this is optimized for the Varyag type ski jump ship. If this is a carrier plane, I would think the first indiginous chinese carrier would not be like the Varyag, but would instead be a catapult equipped ship.

SOC

I look at pictures all day
Reaction score
chuck4 said:
Provided this is a carrier based aircraft, could this be based on the cancelled Yak-44?

Very possible, at least while we're in the speculation stage. Both the Yak-44 and whatever this is resembled copies of the E-2; either China obtained the rights to the Yak-44 or they also went the "copy the E-2" route.

chuck4

Reaction score
Where did they get their hands on a E-2? Did someone in Taiwan defect with the plans?

chuck4

Reaction score
Deino said:
slightly better ...

In the panoramic photo with the j-10, the AWACS seems to have much more haze between it and the camera compared to the j-10. This suggest the AWACS is much further away. This in turn suggest the AWACS is a much larger aircraft whose tail span is nit much less the the length of J-10's fuselage. This suggest it is not a carrier based plane.

The the photo with the guard shack, the AWACS appear to have An slight anhedral to the wings, this suggest to me it is based on a y-8 airframe, with completely new tail. So more reason to think it's not naval.

Deino

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
sealordlawrence said:
Deino,

Is that the sole J-10B aircraft or is that a new airframe?

Not sure. We know confirmed a 1031, 1033 (most likely 1032 a static one) and IMO this one looks like 1034. Could be the one we 've seen some log ago without a number, but it could also be only 1031.

Otherwise it is reported that the first Block 7 serial version has flown.

Deino

CJGibson

Reaction score
Transport aircraft in the 45000lb class was what BAC and HSA examined in the 60s for the NASR.6166 AEW type, so a Y-7 derivative is plausible. However, both concluded that modifying an land-based transport was more trouble than it was worth. Curious, given the number of AEW projects ongoing in China that they re-invent the wheel? The parallels with the BAC studies are quite interesting.

Chris

Deino

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Quite interesting this wind-tunnel model was posted a few days ago and even if I think it still shows an E-2-model for reference, it is clearly in a Chinese WT... others argue that the wing is different and more like the Y-7's. ???
Besides that these two small pictures appeared yesterday.....

Deino

Attachments

• New AEW type maybe - in flight 2.jpg
    New AEW type maybe - in flight 2.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 964
  • New AEW type maybe - in flight 1.jpg
    New AEW type maybe - in flight 1.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 979
  • New AEW type - wt - maybe E-2 but in China.jpg
    New AEW type - wt - maybe E-2 but in China.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 869

frank

Reaction score
If it is indeed based on the Y-7, that could lend some credibility to something I read in Air International or something in the '80s when all the speculation of USSR carrier aircraft was being spread. There was mention of an AWACS version of the An-24 & I think maybe a COD variant as well. Maybe this Y-7 AWACS has its roots in yet another never realized Soviet project. What will we see next out of China, that Beriev (P-2?) S-3 Viking look-alike?

chuck4

Reaction score
The soviets built a dedicated AWAC airframe for their projected catapult carrier. It's the Yak-44. It's not related to An-24.

frank

Reaction score
Actually, they only made a mock-up of the Yak-44, AFAIK, but they DID build the An-71 'Madcap' but it wasn't used. I'm just relaying what I read in reference to an An-24 development.

chuck4 said:
The soviets built a dedicated AWAC airframe for their projected catapult carrier. It's the Yak-44. It's not related to An-24.

Deino

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Just "spotted" at the latest GE-images from Xian-Yanglian (CFTE) .... the Y-7AEW-carrier version !

Attachments

• Y-7AEW at Yanglian - 2012.jpg
    Y-7AEW at Yanglian - 2012.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 735

fightingirish

Reaction score
A closeup photo of the Chinese Hawkeye AEW&C has been posted online. The plane’s designation is JZY-01 or JianZaiYun-01. The literal translation means carrier-borne transport zero one.
The plane, based on the Xian Y-7, has reportedly flown and the leak was covertly approved ahead of the 18th party congress. The engine cowling has been redesigned and the engine comes with a six-blade propeller.

Source: http://alert5.com/2012/07/27/photo-closeup-photo-of-chinese-hawkeye/

Attachments

• JZY-01_Alert_280712.jpg
    JZY-01_Alert_280712.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 524

LowObservable

Reaction score
Interesting. It's a whole lot bigger than a Hawkeye, although note from the plan-view here...

http://nwlinux.com/china-carrier-varyag-yellow-sea-images/

... that there is a prominent deck marking to the starboard side of the landing run, that seems to delineate the parking area. It leaves a landing run-out that's about the same as a Y-7 span.

The prototype looks as if it still has standard wheels and tyres - not the high-pressure tyres you see on CV aircraft. Early days yet.

I hope the APY-9 radar team's cybersecurity has been up to snuff for a while.

CJGibson

Reaction score
Looks like my GA from a year ago wasn't too bad...a Curl with a Hawkeye tail grafted on.

back to the drawing board for me.

Chris

Attachments

• Y-7AEW_provisional_GA_first.gif
    Y-7AEW_provisional_GA_first.gif
    59.9 KB · Views: 516

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
Another shot?

140311+1.jpg

TomS

Reaction score
If it's substantially larger than the Hawkeye, perhaps it isn't meant for carrier use. A smaller, less expensive land-based AEW aircraft might have a niche in the PLAAF or for export.

Blitzo

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
TomS said:
If it's substantially larger than the Hawkeye, perhaps it isn't meant for carrier use. A smaller, less expensive land-based AEW aircraft might have a niche in the PLAAF or for export.

The JZY-01 is the airframe of interest for carrier based AEW. A more highly modified Y-7 with virtually the same configuration as E-2, and using a pair of the WJ-6C turboprops seen on Y-9s/Y-8GXs.

famvburg

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
I've been looking at these two online. The Y-7 AWACS is clearly a modified Y-7, of course. However, nearly everything I see on the KJ-600 is either an E-2 Hawkeye with Chinese markings photo-shopped or drawings showing a near or direct copy of an E-2. I'm not sure what might be real or not so I'm curious about your thoughts on the KJ-600. Is it indeed a copy or expected to be a copy of the E-2 or is it just all of the internet propaganda is hung up on it being an E-2 clone? Thanks!

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi Famvburg,

I think that,I sent it in this forum,but where ?.

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The KJ-600 has not been photographed, and is mostly likely not actual hardware yet.

What has been seen is the Y-7 AWACS demonstrator JZY-01, a mockup of an AWACS design on the concrete 'aircraft carrier', and a model of what looks like an E-2 on the desk of people involved in another AWACS project.

https://www.sinodefenceforum.com/kj-600-chinese-carrier-capable-aew-developments-news-progress.t8101/

Attachments

• 2017-01-28-Le-futur-AWACS-embarqué-chinois-émerge-06.jpg
    2017-01-28-Le-futur-AWACS-embarqué-chinois-émerge-06.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 446
  • PLANAF carrier AEW KJ-600 - mock up at Wuhan 201801.jpg
    PLANAF carrier AEW KJ-600 - mock up at Wuhan 201801.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 421
  • UjTziEf.jpg
    UjTziEf.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 427
  • JZY-01-03.jpg
    JZY-01-03.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 450

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This recentish CGI from a Chinese magazine is of unknown authenticity. Looks broadly consistent with the mockup.

The program exists, to what extent its a modified Y-7 or a new airframe is uncertain.

Attachments

• KJ-600 CG in magazine - 1.jpg
    KJ-600 CG in magazine - 1.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 453

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The overhead satellite photo shows the mockup to be shorter than the Su-27 type nearby, which means either its not full size or its not Y-7 based. Its much closer to the E-2 in size.

Archibald

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
The China aviation museum has a chinese Tu-4 with TV-2F 5000 hp turboprops and an AWACS radome on top of that.
Was that aircraft story ever known ? has it been discussed on this forum ?

Archibald

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
The giant kong, yes (runs for cover). Thank you for the links. ;D

fightingirish

Reaction score
Last edited:

Deino

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score