Are these types of incidents normal or a freak accident ? I know there was a horrific accident in China during the 90's when a wayward rocket plowed into a village killing scores of people, but I assumed the chances of debris falling near civilians in this day and age was close to zero ?

Are these types of incidents normal or a freak accident ?

It's actually very common and I've seen photographs of spent booster-stage that has crashed into someone's house in a village, Scott Manley I do believe has done a video about it.

I know there was a horrific accident in China during the 90's when a wayward rocket plowed into a village killing scores of people

That was in 1996 when a Long March rocket carrying an American Comsat had a total guidance failure just after liftoff going horizontal and crashing into a nearby village killing hundreds of people.

Now I wonder when ever the Long March 2F flies (This is the rocket used to launch China's crewed Shenzhou spacecraft) what happens to the LAS when it's jettisoned, does it explode or just burn on impact?

View: https://twitter.com/aj_fi/status/1804769150696316976

Here's a surprise of sorts. State-owned Shanghai Academy of Spaceflight Technology (SAST) just demonstrated a 10-km level (first in China) VTVL test with a 3.8m diameter test article. mp.weixin.qq.com/s/iUBksFIvM-zY…

View: https://twitter.com/cnspaceflight/status/1804773001109344296

Coming up next will be a planned 70km VTVL test on this D3.8m prototype, to cover the whole flight profile of the first stage. And the maiden orbital launch is planned for 2025.
x.com/CNSpaceflight/…

View: https://twitter.com/cnspaceflight/status/1804780907112649184

Leaked footage of the landing

Chang'e 6 landing is planned between 05h41 and 06h11 UTC on June 25th, it will be broadcasted on chinese TV.

Definitely intrigued by SAST's 4m diameter reusable launcher (also sometime called "XLV22").

As far as we can tell it's serious, it was listed alongside the Long March 10 (the lunar rocket) in this year's Blue Book of CASC. But SAST would have debuted 3 launchers in the same 4.5-6.5t SSO payload range (CZ-6A, CZ-12 and this launcher) within the span of a few years, and why 4m (the diameter that has consistently been mentionned) when CZ-12, and this demonstration rocket have 3.8m diameter tanks?

It's speculated that these two launchers shown in a SAST video that was released for the maiden launch of the CZ-6C are these 4m reusable launchers, with a tricore version. If so, and if it is to scale, that's a launcher that's definitely larger than a Falcon 9.

1719253176089.png

Did the cruise-stage burn in Earth's atmosphere after the reentry capsule separated or did it perform a burn to insert it into a heliocentric orbit?

image.jpg Something really fucked up happened
This thing fly, and then, boom······

Last edited:

Official statement by Space Pioneer

"Space Pioneer has released an official statement: the first stage rocket ignited normally, with the engine thrust reaching 820 tons. Due to a structural failure at the connection between the rocket and the test stand, the first stage rocket detached from the launch pad."
"After liftoff, the onboard computer actively shut down, and the rocket fell into a remote mountainous area 1.5 kilometers southwest of the test stand. Upon impact, the rocket disintegrated. The test site is located far from the downtown area of Gongyi City, after investigations, no casualties are reported.
"

They uh... then boast about breaking the record of chinese launcher thrust, and "doubling it" over the previous one, absolutely incredible.

"This static firing is China’s most powerful test fire of an in-development launch vehicle (820 tonnes), twice as powerful as the previous Chinese record"

Last edited:

Official statement by Space Pioneer

"Space Pioneer has released an official statement: the first stage rocket ignited normally, with the engine thrust reaching 820 tons. Due to a structural failure at the connection between the rocket and the test stand, the first stage rocket detached from the launch pad."
"After liftoff, the onboard computer actively shut down, and the rocket fell into a remote mountainous area 1.5 kilometers southwest of the test stand. Upon impact, the rocket disintegrated. The test site is located far from the downtown area of Gongyi City, after investigations, no casualties are reported.
"

They uh... then boast about breaking the record of chinese launcher thrust, and "doubling it" over the previous one, absolutely incredible.
WTF,it was a stupid mistake
It wouldn't have happened with a couple of cables

and·········unintentionally
image.png

Because this thing shouldn't fly this time
Look at the Falcon 9, the weight, the cable······Tianlong 3 has none·
View attachment 733196

It will be interesting to see what mechanism was supposed to handle the hold down and how it failed…it seems odd that the booster would actually lift directly off the pad; I’d expect it to go wild as the stage fasteners failed unevenly. But it seems to have broken clean away from the stand. Was this a full test of all engines? I think this stage has 9?

It will be interesting to see what mechanism was supposed to handle the hold down and how it failed…it seems odd that the booster would actually lift directly off the pad; I’d expect it to go wild as the stage fasteners failed unevenly. But it seems to have broken clean away from the stand. Was this a full test of all engines? I think this stage has 9?

Yes, 9 engines with a total 820t thrust according to their official statement. It's a powerful rocket, more than a Falcon 9

Scott Manley has just uploaded a video the Tianlong-3 skyrocket:

In China Space Pioneer was performing a static fire test of the Booster for their Tianlong 3 rocket, a design which is a close copy of SpaceX's Falcon 9.Due to an engineering failure the rocket broke free of the test stand, flew under power for about 30 seconds before crashing back to Earth in a spectacular fireball.

DJ Jazzy Scab:
This one goes out to our friends overseas—
STATE OF MINE’s “Can’t Stop Me.”

“I’ll keep rising higher, higher…”

“Whaddya mean the rocket tried to defect?”

They even copied the rock tornado

Last edited:
I do hope that this rocket program succeeds as SP has in my humble opinion the most potential among Chinese private firms but some heads HAVE TO roll because of this incident...

Just imagine what would've happened if the rocket had actually flew towards the city.

I can't put into words how lucky they were...

is not this model metholox?

No, it's definitely kerolox (LOX/RP-1) and you tell this by the very sooty smoke from the burning fuel after the engines shutdown and the subsequent dirty fireball after the rocket-stage impacted the ground. Methan burns much more cleanly than RP-1 does in air.

Last edited:
No, it's definitely kerolox (LOX/RP-1) and you tell this by the very sooty smoke from the burning fuel after the engines shutdown and the subsequent dirty fireball after the rocket-stage impacted the ground. Methan burns much more cleanly than RP-1 does in air.

I must have been thinking of the LandSpace rocket.