Tophe said:
I have a little more about this plane:
date: 1935 (featured in Jane's 1937)
twin-boom layout justification: pusher propeller for a good access
goal of this design: cheap plane for tourism
two-seater side to side
span 36 ft length 19 ft 4in
max speed 190 km/h

I remember seeing one of these in a dismantled state in a barn south of Buffalo New York back about ten years ago. Prior to that, it had been stored at the Hamburg, NY airfield on North Creek Road. The then-owner also had a BD-5J in his (literally) stable. As I haven't been down that way in a while, I can't say for sure that he staill has them.

Thanks for these news about this old forgotten aircraft...
Looking again at Hesham's first picture, I wonder: what are the tubes below the booms?
- Either spraying tubes for agricultural chemicals, but that does not match the 'tourism' goal.
- Either structural support, making this airplane more "several boom" than "twin boom" (except for the rare definition saying that twin-boom means two MAIN booms)
Interesting, thanks again. :)

Tophe said:
Thanks for these news about this old forgotten aircraft...
Looking again at Hesham's first picture, I wonder: what are the tubes below the booms?
- Either spraying tubes for agricultural chemicals, but that does not match the 'tourism' goal.
- Either structural support, making this airplane more "several boom" than "twin boom" (except for the rare definition saying that twin-boom means two MAIN booms)
Interesting, thanks again. :)

To be honest, I don't remember seeing them on the example that I saw in that barn. But it was in a disassembled condition, so that might account for it. By the photo, they look like support braces, but that's only a guess.

Hi all - I need help in identifying an aircraft, again from the March 1937 "Air Trails" magazine. It's listed as a Campbell and appears to be new for 1937. I looks like a Stearman-Hammond, but I don't know for sure. A Google search only turns up Campbell's soup, so any help you can give me would be appreciated.
Thanks for your help.
John Braungart

Attachments

• (1937) Campbell Pusher (01).jpg
    (1937) Campbell Pusher (01).jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 379
For more information and photo's see : www aerofiles dot com please..

Enjoy.

When it comes to obscure American aircraft, always give Aerofiles a try first. They don't have it all, and there are mistakes or omissions here and there, but they're still the most comprehensive and reliable source for rare US types around...

http://www.aerofiles.com/aircraft.html

Hayden S. Campbell, who was the vice-president of the Barling Aircraft Co. in St. Joseph, Montana, founded the Campbell Aircraft Co. in the same city, and in 1935 produced the Model F prototype [registered X280Y] which is the aircraft in your picture. Constructor's number c/n 2 seems to indicate that Campbell did another aircraft before that, but it can't be traced. Apparently only one Model F was built.

The Model F is described as a two-place, twin-boom/twin-tail cantilever wing pusher monoplane of all-magnesium construction, powered by an 82hp Ford V-8 pusher engine. It had tricycle gear with steerable nosewheel.

The Model F was damaged in a demonstration flight and never repaired. It is of course reminiscent of the Stearman-Hammond Y-1S "Safety Plane" of the same era, but if you compare the two you'll find notable differences, such as the monocoque fuselage pod of the Model F, which earned it the nickname of "Flying Easter Egg."

Span: 36 ft 0 in
Length: 19 ft 4 in
Load: 535 lb
Maximum speed: 112 mph
Cruise speed: 97 mph
Landing speed: 48 mph
Range: 350 miles

Attachments

• campbell.jpg
    campbell.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 339
Also, another topic deals with the same subject. Please think of using the forum's search engine!
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1163.0

Finally, a video of the Campbell Model F in flight:
http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675053139_Flivver-plane_Mark-Woods_demonstration-flights

It is a pusher propeller "flivver" airplane, costing $1500, with tricycle landing gear and twin tail design, powered by a stock Ford V8 engine, with single ignition. View of engine running and long transverse central elevator, as well as side being moved. View of steerable nose gear. Pilot and inventor Hayden Campbell in the cockpit. Aircraft taxis out and takes off (view of Capitol dome in distance). Views of the airplane's Ford V8 engine, with one spark plug for each cylinder. Removing and replacing the engine cowling. Interior of cockpit, with ignition key, conventional yoke flight controls, basic instruments in panel and long push-pull throttle control.

Stargazer2006 said:
Stargazer2006 said:
<<<When it comes to obscure American aircraft, always give Aerofiles a try first. They don't have it all, and there are mistakes or omissions here and there, but they're still the most comprehensive and reliable source for rare US types around...​
Many thanks! I've been to Aerofiles several times when dealing with obscure aircraft, but for some reason (probably the name), they didn't come up this time. I have several oddballs like this but the trouble is that Air Trails didn't always give a name to the aircraft like this, usually something along the lines of "Diskplane" or "Tailless Experimental".
Regards,
John Braungart

You're right, thanks hesham !