Hi folks,

Two C-27J variants apparently under study:

An AEW variant:

E27J.jpg

And a stretched variant:

S27J.jpg

Regards,

Greg

Interesting. A 1.5m rear-fuselage stretch was proposed for the Tyne-engined G.222ST (Air International Vol16 No4, Apr 1979). The proportions look the same.

I guess surplus power applies as much to the C-27J as to the old Tyne G.222 concepts.

I heard from Janes there is/was a maritime patrol model which they were going to pitch towards Taiwan.Now seeing as Taiwan has been wanting P-3s for the longest,this would seem like a compromise.Haven't seen any pics or line drawings,but I'd assume since this is an EADS projet,it may have a nose radome like the maritime patrol CASA 235.No idea as to if it would be armed of not either.

ISTR reading just in the last week or so that there's an AC-27 gunship in the works.

frank said:
ISTR reading just in the last week or so that there's an AC-27 gunship in the works.
Gen. Michael Moseley commented at the AFA conference that they are looking into a gunship variant with the new 30MM installed....From what I understand at the moment it is just talk.

GTX said:
Hi folks,

Two C-27J variants apparently under study:

An AEW variant:

E27J.jpg

And a stretched variant:

S27J.jpg

Regards,

Greg

How ironic Greg.

When I was all but a teenager (31 years ago), a mate and I, envisaged and incorporated a AEW and gunship variant of the G.222, into our 'System' (The 'System' being our idea of the ideal/most proficient Australian Defence Force). Alas, our envisaged G.222 AEW was based around the Grumman E-2 Hawkeye radar system, our G.222 gunship incorporated a 105mm howitzer of the AC-130. They were to be used in 'Expedition Air Units', which could deploy and use rough-field airbase deployment in the Australian North, to directly support operations!

If only I could have foreseen last weeks Tatts Lotto numbers :p

Regards
Pioneer

The aircraft company Leonardo will deliver first C-27J Next Generation airlifter in 2021.
The new version includes visibel the addition of performance-enhancing winglets. The brand-new avionics system of the C-27J Next Generation is designed to comply with Next Generation Air Traffic Control requirements, including FANS 1/A+ datalink; TCAS 7.1; ILS Cat.II; enhanced video TAWS. New cockpit displays; new weather radar; new radio navigation; enhanced satellite communications and radio communication capabilities; new intercommunication system; new cockpit and cargo panels; Mode 5 IFF/ADS-B out and tactical VNAV and Search and Rescue; lighting system with LED technology have also been included. The first enhanced aircraft will be delivered to an undisclosed customer in 2021.
Sources: https://www.flightglobal.com/defenc...t-generation-airlifter-in-2021/141084.article

The report recommended that for future weapons purchases, the Defense Department should sufficiently weigh risks before approving acquisitions, require contractors to provide plans on how they will sustain aircraft or other products, avoid waiving regulations or procedures because funding for a program is about to expire, conduct "comprehensive inspections" before accepting a final product and thoroughly investigate "allegations of the conflict of interest statute" and take appropriate action.

The report recommended that for future weapons purchases, the Defense Department should sufficiently weigh risks before approving acquisitions, require contractors to provide plans on how they will sustain aircraft or other products, avoid waiving regulations or procedures because funding for a program is about to expire, conduct "comprehensive inspections" before accepting a final product and thoroughly investigate "allegations of the conflict of interest statute" and take appropriate action.
Given the normal technical illiteracy required by political watchdogs, I’ll wait for more info before making my mind up on this one.

The aircraft also has been given winglets, which boost its payload capabilities by around 3,000 kg (6,600 lb.). The addition of the winglets meant the wing had to be strengthened, but this also has allowed the company to provide for a trio of hardpoints outboard of the engines. They would be suitable for the carriage of anti-ship missiles and air-droppable torpedoes for ASW/ASuW missions.

I am skeptical about the winglet explanation regarding the payload increase. Are they really boosting the wingspan that much?
Wouldn't that be more linked to reinforced wing structure?

>>Wouldn't that be more linked to reinforced wing structure?
Yes, you are increasing the wing bending moment with the extra mass at the tips

>>Are they really boosting the wingspan that much?
if the winglets are mostly vertical, then no. But neither were those on a lot of the early airliners... and yet they worked. Don't quote me on that because i'm not an aerodynamicist, but the general point of a winglet is to displace the tip vortex to a more favorable position, which often is (but does not have to be) outboard. The winglet, regardless of dihedral, is also designed with a forward component of lift.

The aircraft also has been given winglets, which boost its payload capabilities by around 3,000 kg (6,600 lb.). The addition of the winglets meant the wing had to be strengthened, but this also has allowed the company to provide for a trio of hardpoints outboard of the engines. They would be suitable for the carriage of anti-ship missiles and air-droppable torpedoes for ASW/ASuW missions.

I am skeptical about the winglet explanation regarding the payload increase. Are they really boosting the wingspan that much?
Wouldn't that be more linked to reinforced wing structure?
Wikipedia article has a link to Leonardo saying the winglets add 1000 kg of MTOW

>>Wouldn't that be more linked to reinforced wing structure?
Yes, you are increasing the wing bending moment with the extra mass at the tips

>>Are they really boosting the wingspan that much?
if the winglets are mostly vertical, then no. But neither were those on a lot of the early airliners... and yet they worked. Don't quote me on that because i'm not an aerodynamicist, but the general point of a winglet is to displace the tip vortex to a more favorable position, which often is (but does not have to be) outboard. The winglet, regardless of dihedral, is also designed with a forward component of lift.
I wonder if the primary function of the winglets was to improve airflow over ailerons, at high angles of attack. If you can improve aileron control, then you might be able to tame a snappy stall.

Specifically which spare parts were lacking?

Paratroopers and containers would "fly" all over the cargo hold, with dire consequences...

I would think they'll have the usual issue: maritime patrol and AWACS roles emphasize economical cruise over long ranges and, for AWACS, cruise at altitude. A STOL cargo plane will just not be nearly as efficient as what's desired, so, unless there is some compelling commonality argument, probably a non-starter. I think this is why commercial airliners, or business jets with the same "economical cruise to long range" imperative, seem to be the platforms of choice for both patrol and these days.

To me, the Japanese approach, of common parts/systems but different designs for the Kawasaki P-1 and Kawasaki C-2 seems like a better approach for countries that can afford "full size" systems, while modified business jets seem to be a better option for "next tier" countries.

Given the normal technical illiteracy required by political watchdogs, I’ll wait for more info before making my mind up on this one.
Given the current technical illiteracy and kid-in-a-candy-store mentality of many of the Pentagon's project managers, it would be nice for there to be any political watchdogs, instead of nothing but cheerleaders and hogs at a trough