C-2 Greyhound Replacements: N-G Greyhound 21, Fokker F.28, MDD C-9 and others

Somewhere here in SPF I think I saw a 3 view of a proposed COD version of the Fairchild C-123. Anyone know the timeframe of it?

Here it is

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3509.0

There's some discussion of ATEWS and the C-9 here:

http://www.angelfire.com/wi2/virginbirth/redactor.htm

It's not clear who the author is, or who the editor is (the corrections in square brackets). The author seems to be a bit off, and there's a lot of weird metaphysical stuff mixed in, especially later on, but he's apparently talking about Douglas/USAF work on the possible use of the C-9/DC-9 as a jammer/EW aircraft starting sometime around 1967.

Well. That was...breathtaking. In many ways.

I had no idea that Hunter S. Thompson was an aerospace engineer.

TomS said:
... he's apparently talking about Douglas/USAF work on the possible use of the C-9/DC-9 as a jammer/EW aircraft starting sometime around 1967.

The attached Douglas factory model photos might be the concept you are referring to: Douglas DC-9-10 ATJS (Advanced Tactical Jamming System?). The model features lots of blisters, antennas, roof panels, radomes, heat exchanger intakes and a big canoe fairing on the bottom.

I did not see a reference to the ATJS in Terry Waddington's DC-9 book. If anybody knows anything about ATJS, please do come forward!

Attachments

• Douglas DC-9-10 ATJS 01.jpg
    Douglas DC-9-10 ATJS 01.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,058
  • Douglas DC-9-10 ATJS 02.jpg
    Douglas DC-9-10 ATJS 02.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 988
Wow, thank you for posting/sharing Circle -5. :) :)

Good Day All -

Came across this decal in a collection donated to the Museum yesterday.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• zLockheed-Fokker F28 CSAM decal.jpg
    zLockheed-Fokker F28 CSAM decal.jpg
    465.2 KB · Views: 688
Further to the first post on this subject, I came across the following proposal regarding a pure jet powered variant of the C-2 Greyhound in the May 1972 issue of Air International

Attachments

• grumman c-2 jet.jpg
    grumman c-2 jet.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 541
The 737 COD proposal caught my eye as I read through this very interesting topic and got me wondering if 737 based types such as the E-7 Wedgetail and the P-8 Poseidon could be adapted to carrier operations? The obvious drawback would be their large foot print but I am interested if it could be done.

I doubt it. The early 737s were about 2/3 the weight of the current generation and a good 20-30 feet narrower in wingspan. They were pushing the limits of carrier compatibility; the newer larger models would clearly be too big to fit.

I believe Fokker had also a design for a carrier-based F-28

I'm still disappointed they didn't proceed with any of them. It'd have been so cool to see this in real life:
P6297880.JPG

Yes, COD airplanes have folding wings to reduce their deck space. We frequently see photos of CODs parked on aircraft carrier decks.
Can CODs fold small enough to stow in hangars below deck?
How often do CODs stay on a carrier over-night?

Here from the early 70's an concept of a Grumman C-2 with four jet engines (TF-3 ?).
Source:
The Shadow of the Eagle @clemente3000
The primary source might be a magazine like AW&ST from that time period.

Comparing turbo-props with turbo-fans ... how does spool-up time compare in the event of a missed arrestor cable?
Not in any way an expert, but I understood jets are spooling up as they hit the deck, then throttle back once realised they are hooked.

Yes, COD airplanes have folding wings to reduce their deck space. We frequently see photos of CODs parked on aircraft carrier decks.
I'd love to see a model or a deck layout, with say 2 x F28 on deck.

Handy for the enemy too - 'we send F28 to shoot you down' aaaahh WTF is F28???

Gunship version??

the C-2 and E-2 are small enough to be stowed in the hangar. The F-28C was designed to allow this as well: one of the functions of the telescoping nose gear is to make the tail clear the hangar door.

American Secret Projects 3 is full of these COD proposals, and features an entire section about converted airliners. I highly recommend it.

The book also gives various other uses apart from COD for these aircraft (with the DC-9 variant in particular), these including ECM, ECM training and tanker duties.

Would the DC-9 variant have been favoured due to the C-9 due to parts and possible training commonality?

The book also gives other roles for the Boeing 727 and 737 based proposals, as they were part of a wider proposal to the US military.

From nearly 7 years of non stop deployments I've never seen a C-2 down in the hanger bay. They might stay over night and launch in the morning. My rate was one of those where you went out of your way to be our friend the COD crews were also highly desirable to make friends with as well. The looks of disbelief I'd get from folks seeing me with a big bag of Taco Bell was priceless.
Edit to add. Not all rates/ MOS etc.. Are equal as an engineer we controlled the water, heat, AC, Power etc.. also the repair work. If you're a friend and need work done you get moved to the top of a big stack of jobs emergency work and high priority was always ontop so they would be the first non critical. Personalmen would take extra good care of your records. The cooks would hook you up with food from the chiefs mess. When you were at sea for 2 months straight and halfway through a deployment you weren't sure how long it was really going to be could be really draining. Being friendly with the COD crews would be a godsend at that point. Getting pizza hut, McDonalds, Taco Bell was a HUGE moral boost at that point, it didn't matter if it was purchased 12 hours prior and was soggy.

Last edited: