Borovkov-Florov Aircraft D

Top advanced project of 1941 ?
Yes this really project from 1941.
On my belief, in 1940-41 was made maximum amount the most interesting and innovative project for soviet union (within the framework of section Early Secret Projects certainly)
Several preliminary drawings:
1-2) from Aviation #2/99
3-7) courtesy by M.Maslov

Attachments

• =D= 1941.jpg
    =D= 1941.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 495
  • cocp4.jpg
    cocp4.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 137
  • cocp3.jpg
    cocp3.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 94
  • cocp2.jpg
    cocp2.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 325
  • cocp..jpg
    cocp..jpg
    243 KB · Views: 362
  • inb..jpg
    inb..jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 382
  • =D=.jpg
    =D=.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 456
Hi Borovik,

excellent pics. I also love this beauty. Any clues on the escape system? I remember reading that the seat tilted downwards and then ejected the pilot clear of the propeller arc. Bye.

More here:

http://www.geocities.com/unicraftmodels/on/bord/bord.htm

Hi Wurger,
That's right. In the beginning they planned to install detachable hatch-door , but forward gear prevented to leave the cabin quickly; and then they decided to use floor's fragment throwing back and downwards with falling-in pilot's seat.
The ejector-seat first used in the USSR in 1941 at project V.Bolkhovitinov's "I" / "И" , (chief project
engineer A.Isaev), further development of "SI"(TsKB-21)/project 1935, by N.Polikarpov, and
"B-10" / Б-10 G.Beriev's http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4532.0.html
The diversity of project "I" were air-scoops by the sides of booms and radiators on them.
Stopper airscrew was provided on "B-10".
Excuse me for my english.

Attachments

• escape.jpg
    escape.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 144
Thanks, Borovik,

this soviet birds are quite challenging. I agree with you, the immediate years before the war were the most interesting in soviet aircraft industry, developing radical configurations and achieving fantastic solutions. The war put an almost end to this creativity, but not to ingenuity. Bye.

Wouldn't that sharply raked windscreen have caused problems with vision? How likely would it have been to be replaced by a normal, stepped one?

Did this aircraft have an annular intake for engine cooling?

Thought it might be interesting to compare the Japanese Mitsubishi J4M Senden with its unbuilt Russian equivalent, the Borovkov-Florov Aircraft D of 1941.

blackkite thanks again for the pictures of a beatiful japanese planes.

I agree withStargazer2006the Senden is one of the most beautiful planes of ww2.

Stargazer2006 do you have more information on the Aircraft D? It's the first time I see that one.

Alcides said:
I agree withStargazer2006the Senden is one of the most beautiful planes of ww2.

Stargazer2006 do you have more information on the Aircraft D? It's the first time I see that one.

Yes it's a very interesting and clean Russian project! Thanks for sharing us.
Twin booms had additional power plants?
It's a big topic. How about to begin independent topic of this beauty?

Aircraft "D" (1941) had a swept wing laminar profile and was to be powered by an M-71 engine with a pusher propeller and two additional Merkulov ramjets, in the tail booms. The estimated speed was 850 km/h (!); length was 11.67 m, span was 14.5 m.

More pics of the "D" project:

Attachments

• =D= 1941.jpg
    =D= 1941.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 680
  • Borovkov.gif
    Borovkov.gif
    19.5 KB · Views: 658
Does anyone knows if the atractive color schema for the first picture was real? Mabybe that was the color for prototypes?

Hi all!

A bit more technical data: wing area - 30.0 m2; takeoff weight - 6000 kg; maximum speed without the ramjets - 660 km/h at 6000 m, 530 km/h at sea level. (From the book "Lost victories of Soviet aviation" by Mikhail Maslov).

About the color scheme. There was no standard color scheme for prototypes in Soviet Union (every OKB painted them as they wanted), so this seems to be pure fantasy of the artist Yuri Tepsurkaev. I attach here the whole page from No.2 Aviatsiya magazine; you can see that he "painted" different Borovkov/Florov projects in totally different way.

But I personally think that, if the Nazis wouldn't invade Soviet Union and the "D" aircraft prototype would be built and flown in peace time - it could be painted in similar scheme. But most probably it would be red/silver, rather than red/yellow. If the "D" would be built at wartime, most likely it would have upper surfaces painted protective green and lower surfaces painted blue.

Attachments

• BoF projects_color.jpg
    BoF projects_color.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 600
redstar72 said:
About the color scheme. There was no standard color scheme for prototypes in Soviet Union (every OKB painted them as they wanted), so this seems to be pure fantasy of the artist Yuri Tepsurkaev. I attach here the whole page from No.2 Aviatsiya magazine; you can see that he "painted" different Borovkov/Florov projects in totally different way.

But I personally think that, if the Nazis wouldn't invade Soviet Union and the "D" aircraft prototype would be built and flown in peace time - it could be painted in similar scheme. But most probably it would be red/silver, rather than red/yellow. If the "D" would be built at wartime, most likely it would have upper surfaces painted protective green and lower surfaces painted blue.

Thanks for the data about paint schemes. I think the last scheme was the one selected by unicraft for their model. I'm attaching a picture of a model with that colors.

I've to say maybe we need to start a thread about Borovkov-Florow projects because I didn't know about the Aircraft 10 and 11 projects. A search in on the web shows a lot about the I-207. Are these advanced versions of 207?

Attachments

• bord.jpg
    bord.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 524
Bit better quality ;)

Attachments

• bfdblueprint001.png
    bfdblueprint001.png
    905.4 KB · Views: 126
  • bfdblueprint002.png
    bfdblueprint002.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 148
  • borfroldprofile001.jpg
    borfroldprofile001.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 122
Alcides said:
Thanks for the data about paint schemes. I think the last scheme was the one selected by unicraft for their model. I'm attaching a picture of a model with that colors.

This model wears tactical number, even some nose art elements - it seems to represent the "D" as operational fighter, not a prototype... But during WW2, operational fighter of the VVS could not be painted in this scheme: it was pre-war scheme, at wartime it was used only for prototypes. The production fighter aircraft were camouflaged - in green/black scheme (AMT-4/6) until July 1943, and in two-tone grey camo (AMT-11/12) after that date.

Alcides said:
I've to say maybe we need to start a thread about Borovkov-Florow projects because I didn't know about the Aircraft 10 and 11 projects. A search in on the web shows a lot about the I-207. Are these advanced versions of 207?

Done: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15103.0.html.

I have reworked/cleaned the cutaway views for better visibility:

Attachments

• cutaway-web.gif
    cutaway-web.gif
    155.5 KB · Views: 351
Here is also the three-view reworked in the same way, smaller but cleaner, for easier reference:

Attachments

• 3view-web.gif
    3view-web.gif
    172.2 KB · Views: 372
Topics merged and useless bits removed.

I'm awfully sorry about all the« Last Edit: Today at xx:xx:xx am by Stargazer2006 » mentions at the bottom of manyposts. When I merge topics, I often remove duplicate pictures, quotes ciontaining mistakes that have since been removed from the original post, moderators' messages indicate a merge or a split, etc.). If there were another way to do so, believe me I would!

Hi,

in the book; Реактивные первенцы СССР: МиГ-9, Як-15, Су-9, Ла-150, Ту-12, Ил-22,
I found this strange project,what was it ?,was it related to Korolev?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    180 KB · Views: 439
Thank you my dear Flateric,

and I know it,but sorry,I can't ID it in this form.

I was sure that Marek Rys have done it Under the Red Star ( http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,17243.75.html ). By the way long time no message from Marek

Hi!

http://translate.google.fr/translate?hl=fr&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Falternathistory.com%2Fistrebitel-d-borovkov-i-florov-sssr&sandbox=1