• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Boeing Vertol alternate HLH proposals and other crane helicopters

boxkite

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
A Boeing-Vertol project for a future crane helicopter of 20-30 t payload (circa 1970). I'm interested in a model number.

SOURCE: German magazine "Der Flieger" 2-3/1970 (page 62)

Attachments

Skybolt

Reaction score
mmmm, could it be a civilian derivative of the Boeing HLH-competion winner? Payload and configuration (apart cockpit position) are very similar. And the payload is the same, and the timeframe too... I have an artist impression and a two-views (with data) of the HLH if it interests to someone. Ah, and the Boeing Vertol HLH model numeber is 301.

Skybolt

Reaction score
So, the Boxkite Boeing-Vertol wasn't a direct civilian derivative of HLH... Anyway, as a gratuitous addition, the Sikorsky contender for the specification. It was veery much liked by the NavyOdd, but seems it hadn't a model number (I haven't be abble to find an hole in the S-xx progression till S-71, which was already from 1971). Perhaps it was a S-64something (G ????). Any idea you gurus?

Attachments

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Hi,

and here is the Boeing HLH (Heavy Lift Helicopter) project of
http://www.flightglobal.com/PDFArchive/View/1970/1970%20-%200231.html

Attachments

sferrin

Reaction score
Looks like the offspring of a Mi-10 and a Chinook.

hesham

Reaction score
boxkite said:
A Boeing-Vertol project for a future crane helicopter of 20-30 t payload. I'm interested in a model number.

SOURCE: German magazine "Der Flieger" 2-3/1970 (page 62)
The only known three engined helicopter project for the Boeing Vertol
was the Model-297,it was powered by three 3435 hp GE T64-GE-16s.

dan_inbox

Reaction score
sferrin said:
Looks like the offspring of a Mi-10 and a Chinook.
More like the offspring of an angry gorilla and robocop

hesham

Reaction score
Hi,

the Boeing Vertol BV.166-006 was four engined twin boom VHL warm-cycle
helicopter project,it appeared in 1972.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19930008694_1993008694.pdf

Attachments

Tophe

Reaction score
Website
cmeunier.chez-alice.fr
Thanks for this one I have missed, going to see the same file in another topic but forgetting to check all... Why ???
Concerning this helicopter, I wondered whether there were 2 booms or one asymmetric boom, but as the rotor is not driven from the center but from the tips, there is no torque, so no need of asymmetry, so twin-boom probably, you were very right. ;D

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Print of artist's impression of Boeing-Vertol Model 297 Chinook Crane found for sale on eBay.

Description:
This auction is for an official Boeing print from a photo negative slide of a concept illustration of a HLH or Heavy Lift Helicopter. It measures 11" X 8 1/2". This is a match to a negative I am also listing today and is probably the source for this print. This is one of many prints and color negatives from the estate of a Boeing engineer I will be listing in the coming days. Many are labeled as having been used in various "presentations to the Board of Directors" from the late 60's to early 70's and are in cardboard frames, some are not. This one is labeled CHINOOK CRANE BOEING-VERTOL MODEL - 297 on the bottom front and is stamped RECEIVED OCT 26 11:50 AM '67 OFFICE OF DIRECTOR OF RESEARCH on the back along with a hand written note that says There is a model 299- but its so new they don't have pictures yet.
URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/Heavy-Lift-Helicopter-Official-Boeing-Concept-Print-NR_W0QQitemZ330393034490QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4cecf59efaLoading...

Attachments

hesham

Reaction score
Hi,

more info about the BV.166 helicopter project.

Attachments

Stargazer2006

Staff member
Reaction score
A better picture of the strange four-legged flying crane:

Attachments

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Artist's impression of Boeing Vertol XCH-62 (Model 301) Heavy Lift Helicopter (HLH) press photo circa 1973 found on eBay.

Source:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Boeing-Vertol-Division-sketch-Press-Photo-/200794612779?pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item2ec04aa42b

Attachments

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
A heavy-lift helicopter capable of transporting payloads of 20 to 30 tons is one of several advanced helicopter designs being developed by The Boeing Co.'s Vertol Division. The three-engine, tandem-rotor copter would be able to cruise at 130 knots with an external payload while meeting all military operational requirements. Boeing is conducting extensive wind-tunnel tests and systems-analysis studies of the helicopter.
Source:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Boeing-Vertol-Division-Press-Photo-/190704759492?pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item2c66e3b2c4

Attachments

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
From NASA/HAA Advanced Rotorcraft Technology and Tilt Rotor Workshop. Volume 6: Vehicle Configuration Session

Source:
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19820015368_1982015368.pdf

Abstract:
Five high speed rotorcraft configurations are considered: the high speed helicopter, compound helicopter, ABC, tilt rotor and the X wing. The technology requirements and the recommended actions are discussed.

Attachments

Stargazer2006

Staff member
Reaction score
What bugs me is that Boeing closed the door on flying cranes just because the HLH contract was cancelled.

If the idea had so much potential as these beautiful paintings suggest, why didn't they try to push the concept forward on the civilian market all the same?

GeorgeA

Reaction score
I think this is an example of a number of potential technologies where the market never quite materializes. Sort of a chicken-and-egg problem in that you can't build systems that have no market, but the market doesn't emerge without the systems to enable it. For example, it's hard to convince the logging industry to invest in giant helicopters that don't exist, while the giant helicopter builders would be reluctant to invest without orders on the table. Catch-22.

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Sikorsky sold the manufacturing rights to the S-64 Skycrane to Erickson Air-Crane of Portland, Oregon in 1992. Erickson refurbishes old S-64 helicopters and manufactures new S-64 Aircrane helicopters. Erickson Air-Crane is also the largest operator of S-64 helicopters.

I wonder how many units Boeing or Sikorsky would need to sell of skycranes to make it worth their while as opposed to a niche business.

I haven't seen skycrane helicopters used to unload and transport ISO Intemodal containers at sea or at cargo terminals. I could see the military being interested in doing this if they need to offload cargo at destinations with no local infrastructure, but commercial operations usually use ports with cargo handling equipment that can offload ISO Intermodal containers onto trucks or railroad cars. Seems to me that skycranes would be an expensive way to transport ISO Intermodal containers and cause noise and airspace congestion issues that would make them unpopular with civilian populations.

hesham

Reaction score
Hi,

the Boeing Vertol BV.227,BV.237 and BV.297,also a small info abut BV.298 and
BV.299.

http://www.chinook-helicopter.com/history/Nick_Van_Valkenburgh/H-47_Chinook_Legacy_Nov_2012.pdf

Attachments

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Chinook crane concept photo?

Source:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Boeing-Vertol-Division-Press-Photo-/111232023182?pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item19e5f1fa8e

A heavy-lift helicopter capable of transporting payloads of 20 to 30 tons is one of several advanced helicopter designs being developed by The Boeing Co.'s Vertol Division. The three-engine, tandem-rotor copter would be able to cruise at 130 knots with an external payload while meeting all military operational requirements. Boeing is conducting extensive wind-tunnel tests and systems-analysis studies of the helicopter.

Attachments

hesham

Reaction score
Here is a Model-301 as a transport helicopter Project.

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a083955.pdf

Attachments