Boeing Model 908-535 VATOL fighter revisited

Evil Flower

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Early work in progress. No idea how the gear is supposed to retract or how the bombs are fitted underneath.

Attachments

• wip1.jpg
    wip1.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 1,095
Is this a genuine Boeing design? And if so, how would THAT be on your computer for you to share?

It's a Boeing 'Tail-sitter' design dating back to the early 70's. Also known as the YJ101 (after the GE engines that would have powered it). Here's some background on it:

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1972/1972%20-%200989.html

@Grey Havoc
"No idea how the gear is supposed to retract or how the bombs are fitted underneath."

I think I have seen on-line a thumbnail view of this design in a (cannot remember which one) Scott's "Aerospace Projects Review".

Orionblamblam said:
Are you going to make the cockpit rotate?
Yes sir. You wouldn't happen to have any additional information on this design other than what's posted in the SCS fighter thread?

I went ahead and started a completely new mesh in max this time. Here's what I've got after about 6 hours work:

At the moment I'm quite unsure if the 2D nozzles as modelled are accurate or not. The available drawings do not provide much to go after.

Attachments

• wip1.jpg
    wip1.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 906
  • wip2.jpg
    wip2.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 873
  • wip3.jpg
    wip3.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 852
Looks pretty good! Regarless of whether the exhaust nozzles are accurate or not, I find the rear view to be particularly impressive...