Boeing Incredible Aircraft Design of 1961 ?

Never seen it before. It resembles various hypersonic reconeissance project of that era.
This for sure a wind tunnel test model, the man is clearly looking at it through a gallery's portohole.....

Model 733 was early designation for small SST/Bomber studies for 1952 to 1960s
what replace later by Boeing 2700 program

Last edited:
Never seen it before. It resembles various hypersonic reconeissance project of that era.
This for sure a wind tunnel test model, the man is clearly looking at it through a gallery's portohole.....

It's new for me too,but I think it was a fighter or attack aircraft ?

It's new for me too,but I think it was a fighter or attack aircraft ?
its both, either as Airliner for PanAm or as military aircraft for USAF
depends who pay the build...

Best example is Boeing try to sell there the swing-wing SST design as B-1 proposal to USAF

Oh look, on the inside cover:
ON OUR COVER-An engineer
watches a model of a
supersonic transport about
to be tested in a wind tunnel
Boeing has spent several
million dollars over
the past few years on basic
studies of a supersonic
transport which has been
assigned the number 733.
The answer was there Hesham if you'd just looked.

FWIW, Boeing put possibly its' most benign and least informative design concept out for public viewing. Oh, and the model is bright red.

"Three men" are Boeing vice-president Edward C. Wells, proposal manager Maynard L. Pennell and chief engineer Lloyd T. Goodmanson. It's almost like the Boeing Images team have absolutely no clue what they have.

Attachments

• SST-2-0.jpg
    SST-2-0.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 125
  • SST-2-1.jpg
    SST-2-1.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 115
  • SST-2-2.jpg
    SST-2-2.jpg
    648.3 KB · Views: 100
  • SST-2-3.jpg
    SST-2-3.jpg
    654.9 KB · Views: 95
  • SST-2-4.jpg
    SST-2-4.jpg
    664 KB · Views: 101
  • SST-2-5.jpg
    SST-2-5.jpg
    590.2 KB · Views: 140
Oh look, on the inside cover:

The answer was there Hesham if you'd just looked.

My dear PaulMM,

of course I read this text,but I felt it's not suitable to be SST aircraft,first it's too small,second its unique cockpit,it
inspired me as a fighter or light bomber concept,even a hypersonic concept as seen first.

Boeing did a wide range of models all based on the famous NASA SCAT models. I found this Aviation Week article from 1960 where a twin jet supersonic fighter was mentioned. I'm sure they forked the civil models and worked on some military models as well. Swept or fixed wings were standard permutations to review. Still hard to come by Boeing's military projects of that era. It was the cold war. The 818/TFX that followed in 1962 had also a wide range of models. So, figure this is a TFX fork of the 733.

Attachments

• 1964 Aviation Magazine 20200320-058.jpg
    1964 Aviation Magazine 20200320-058.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 103
  • 1960-052-Aviation Week 2017-10-17.jpg
    1960-052-Aviation Week 2017-10-17.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 171
Boeing did a wide range of models all based on the famous NASA SCAT models. I found this Aviation Week article from 1960 where a twin jet supersonic fighter was mentioned. I'm sure they forked the civil models and worked on some military models as well. Swept or fixed wings were standard permutations to review. Still hard to come by Boeing's military projects of that era. It was the cold war. The 818/TFX that followed in 1962 had also a wide range of models. So, figure this is a TFX fork of the 733.

"fork"? I don't see any forks.

My dear PaulMM,

of course I read this text,but I felt it's not suitable to be SST aircraft,first it's too small,second its unique cockpit,it
inspired me as a fighter or light bomber concept,even a hypersonic concept as seen first.
Its a very generic delta wing wind tunnel model, but it is definitely part of the Model 733 SST studies.