Convair "D/STOL IV" Army ground support fighter, 1961

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Convair design from May 1961 for a ground support fighter for the US Army. Configuration was labelled "D/STOL IV." This is one of many preliminary design drawings recently rescued from the shredder, declassified, and approved for public release. codeonemagazine.com will be featuring more of them in a special gallery in the near future.

From Code One Magazine Facebook

Attachments

• 283363_572466416104001_1625214527_n.jpg
    283363_572466416104001_1625214527_n.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 698
The radar is included to boost employment at Westinghouse or to heat hotdogs on the ramp, because I cannot think of anything else you would need it for.

Great find my dear Paul,

and also new,because it didn't mention in in both Tony Butler American Secret Project books.

LowObservable said:
The radar is included to boost employment at Westinghouse or to heat hotdogs on the ramp, because I cannot think of anything else you would need it for.

Ranging for the guns?

Not yet, but it seems Eric Hehs has got a bunch of similar stuff declassified for posting on Code One website.

LowObservable said:

Terrain following springs immediately to mind. All-weather operation fits in with the 1961 picture of CAS.

I wound be not surprised if this Jet looks like one seater Alpha Jet

see this is what is meant by cultural bias against ground forces so prevalant in the F-35 community. ;)

Terrain Following/terrain avoidance, weather radar, gun ranging, all sorts of things come to mind.

Back
Top Bottom