Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet

aonestudio

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score

Boeing told its bid to sell fighter jets to Canada did not meet Ottawa's requirements
Three sources from industry and government say the message was delivered Wednesday as the other two companies competing for the $19-billion contract — U.S. defence giant Lockheed Martin and Swedish firm Saab — were told they met the government’s requirements.

Companies had been ordered to show their fighter jet was able to meet the military’s requirements for missions at home and abroad, but also that winning the contract would result in substantial economic benefits to Canada.

However, while Boeing’s failure to meet the requirements would appear to disqualify the Super Hornet from the competition, leaving only Lockheed Martin’s F-35 and Saab’s Gripen fighter jet in the running, none of the companies have been told whether they are still in or out.

A Boeing spokesperson said the company would reserve comment pending official notification from the government.

rooster

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score

donnage99

"Robert Gates, is that you??" sublight
Reaction score
Soooo can they turn on the jamming tech while flying along the Polish boarder and jam whatever is in distance or is that provocative?
there's no russian jet over western ukraine anyway. the only thing they jamming would be ukrainian jets still flying sorties (20 sorties a day still)

rooster

Reaction score

NeilChapman

Interested 3rd party
Reaction score
Actually Growler can jam at a considerable range.
From any of the bordering countries (Poland, Slovakia, Romania), their potential to act over Ukraine without overflying it should not be underestimated.
Exactly

What is 'a range' of the range, 500+, 1000+, 1500+?
Those numbers are classified but certainly there is over the horizon ability and not line of sight.

That is interesting. I was wondering if, in future, a less than stealthy drone could carry that gear, and remotely manage the pod or even a series of pods.

totoro

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Anywhere from a few dozen miles to a few hundred miles, depending on just what it's trying to jam.

kcran567

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
From any of the bordering countries (Poland, Slovakia, Romania), their potential to act over Ukraine without overflying it should not be underestimated.
Asking an honest question, but wouldn't that be an immediate act of war/aggression specifically targeting Russia, on behalf of Ukraine in the War? Wouldn't USA/Nato actively jamming against Russian forces be an act of War? It seems like the situation can escalate if there is equipment, Growler jamming, etc. being sent in and around Nato countries while aimed against Russia.

Last edited:

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
It's a valid question and the answer is unambiguously positive IMOHO. Then there is much more a Growler can do there and that every major military nation on earth agrees on principle: like collecting and analyzing signals and be there as a deterring force against any attempt of cyber attacks on NATO countries.

NeilChapman

Interested 3rd party
Reaction score
Asking an honest question, but wouldn't that be an immediate act of war/aggression specifically targeting Russia, on behalf of Ukraine in the War? Wouldn't USA/Nato actively jamming against Russian forces be an act of War? It seems like the situation can escalate if there is equipment, Growler jamming, etc. being sent in and around Nato countries while aimed against Russia.
Well, first you have to prove it. ;-)

rooster

Reaction score
As I recall, Russians were in Vietnam assisting with shooting down our pilots by training the Vietnamese. Also Trump did a nice job killing some Russians in the middle east

donnage99

Reaction score
As I recall, Russians were in Vietnam assisting with shooting down our pilots by training the Vietnamese. Also Trump did a nice job killing some Russians in the middle east
I doubt the command chain reached up to trump for that particular event. One thing about trump admin was that he surrounded himself with people who defined their legacy with keeping trump in the dark as much as possible when it comes to foreign military decisions - john kelly, mattis, mcmaster, and trump didn't really mind it. It was not his area of interest (he ran for office for immigration, economic policies, even his distrust of NATO stemmed from his dissatisfaction of US bearing the brunt of security spending) given how much he liked to skip daily briefings on these issues.

rooster

Reaction score
I doubt the command chain reached up to trump for that particular event. One thing about trump admin was that he surrounded himself with people who defined their legacy with keeping trump in the dark as much as possible when it comes to foreign military decisions - john kelly, mattis, mcmaster, and trump didn't really mind it. It was not his area of interest (he ran for office for immigration, economic policies, even his distrust of NATO stemmed from his dissatisfaction of US bearing the brunt of security spending) given how much he liked to skip daily briefings on these issues.
Oh yeah, I remember seeing you in the news as a member of the administration... How's it going now that you're not in the White House any longer?

donnage99

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I remember seeing you in the news as a member of the administration... How's it going now that you're not in the White House any longer?
well I was born after the invention of the printing press so I read these guys' memoirs and interviews. Funny how the modern days work huh? you don't have to physically be present in a place to know what's goin on.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
CT_20210731_EAA-13346-Edit-ct-thrasher-770x963.jpg

This photography is discussed by aviation photographer Camden Thrasher, here: