Boeing B-47 Stratojet & B-52 Stratofortress; Origins & Evolution by Scott Lowther

My question was what would the signed book plus prints cost? I don't mind having a second copy of the book.

My question was what would the signed book plus prints cost? I don't mind having a second copy of the book.

I'm looking at $55. The first five signed & numbered will probably be auctioned, so... ten grand? A million? These things are like physical NFTs, so, hey, why not.

My copy from Morton's arrived today. It's an absolutely gorgeous book!!
Huh. I'm the author and *I* haven't seen it yet.

Hmmmph.

33029008_1956529217714069_8816201676835782656_n.jpg

Gorgeous and fascinating book, I finished it last night. I only found one typo that caught my eye, a sentence running from page 328 to page 330 (page 329 was another of your beautiful 3-views) in discussing the Boeing Model 473-23. It reads "The dual-engine pods - now fitted with the same J57s tat powered the B-47 - were moved well outboard...." I don't think the B-47 had J57s, at least not any versions that flew.

W H Smith's normally stocks Morton books but so far has not received this one.

Nice book ! I have bought it from my local military bookshop last week !

Hope to see a book about nuclear devices one day !

Gorgeous and fascinating book, I finished it last night. I only found one typo that caught my eye, a sentence running from page 328 to page 330 (page 329 was another of your beautiful 3-views) in discussing the Boeing Model 473-23. It reads "The dual-engine pods - now fitted with the same J57s tat powered the B-47 - were moved well outboard...." I don't think the B-47 had J57s, at least not any versions that flew.

I was initially horrified to think that 'that' might somehow have become 'tat' in that sentence - but checking the original, it doesn't look as though that typo is in the book.

Received my copy from a UK eBay seller. The book looks superb and weighs a ton.
The contents can be summed up in one word- Wow! There are so many interesting things inside that go way beyond just B47 and B52. A must-have book.

Per Hesham's note above, here is a short blurb from a November 1955 Aviation Week. Not sure if this was posted elsewhere so feel free to remove if it's a duplicate.

Attachments

• Screenshot (3200).png
    Screenshot (3200).png
    419.4 KB · Views: 504
Last edited:
I use a mobile/cellphone for my Internet access and eBay is just a few taps and PayPal. Same for Amazon.
Publishers like Morton's (no relation by the way) want you to fill out an online form and give charge card details which I don't like doing.

I use a mobile/cellphone for my Internet access and eBay is just a few taps and PayPal. Same for Amazon.
Publishers like Morton's (no relation by the way) want you to fill out an online form and give charge card details which I don't like doing.
Well, alrighty. Whatever floats yer boat, I guess.

Received my copy today; excellent book, as expected.
Perhaps a small correction to page 163 describing the propellers of the turboprop B-60 (picture on page 162) - these were not contra-rotating units but six-bladed single rotation transonic propellers with staggered blades. Would have undoubtedly produced an interesting sound ...
A similar unit was tested on the XF-84H.

Last edited:
Perhaps a small correction to page 163 describing the propellers of the turboprop B-60 (picture on page 162) - these were not contra-rotating units but six-bladed single rotation transonic propellers with staggered blades.
I seem to have missed that detail in my research. Where did you read that?

Perhaps a small correction to page 163 describing the propellers of the turboprop B-60 (picture on page 162) - these were not contra-rotating units but six-bladed single rotation transonic propellers with staggered blades.
I seem to have missed that detail in my research. Where did you read that?

I think I first read it in this thread:

One of the attached images in post #8 shows the turboprop version. Below the front view of the turboprop version one can find a description of the propellers.

Escanear0029.jpg

One of the attached images in post #8 shows the turboprop version. Below the front view of the turboprop version one can find a description of the propellers.

Huh. Well... I could either take responsibility and say I missed that detail, or I could blame it on Chinese Communist infiltrators messing with my research material. Hmmm, decisions, decisions...

Huh. Well... I could either take responsibility and say I missed that detail, or I could blame it on Chinese Communist infiltrators messing with my research material. Hmmm, decisions, decisions...
The second possibility can not be completely excluded ...
I have updated my post.

Always fascinating to read about research of high speed propellers which culminated in the mid 1950s by NACA.

In figure 6 (photo) one can see a six-bladed staggered single-rotation Aeroproducts supersonic propeller which seems to be the same concept as those intendend for the B-36 turboprop version.

Last edited:
Always fascinating to read about research of high speed propellers which culminated in the mid 1950s by NACA.

In figure 6 (photo) one can see a six-bladed staggered single-rotation Aeroproducts supersonic propeller which seems to be the same concept as those intendend for the B-36 turboprop version.
Considering how bad one of those propellers apparently sounded, can you imagine the racket four of them would make? That alone might cause the enemy to surrender!

Scott's book showed up unexpectedly in the mail yesterday - had just gotten a notice from Amazoom that it would arrive March 2nd. Was pleasantly surprised at its bulk - expected something a wee bit thinner. Not an issue, just expressing my pleasure at more to read and peruse.

Well done Scott! Mark

Last edited:
Glad it got there and you like it. I hear reports that a second print run is in the offing. What Putin's little exercise might do to that, I dunno... hopefully nothing, but these days... who knows.

Glad it got there and you like it. I hear reports that a second print run is in the offing. What Putin's little exercise might do to that, I dunno... hopefully nothing, but these days... who knows.
Well, Morton's HQ at Horncastle, UK is fairly far behind the front line, but who knows.

Well, Morton's HQ at Horncastle, UK is fairly far behind the front line, but who knows.
Publication of this book was delayed a year or so due to the effects of a minor pandemic on the British publishing industry. What will oil going to a bagrillion dollars a barrel do? Hard to say. How do you publish traditional printed books when all the trees are tainted with radioactive fallout? We just might find out...

Per Hesham's note above, here is a short blurb from a November 1955 Aviation Week. Not sure if this was posted elsewhere so feel free to remove if it's a duplicate.

Thank you dear RAP,

but that was not my source at all,and Goodyear had another Project for
it,beside this one.

The book is not available from Amazon.es

On mid August I ordered the book from UK book store via abebooks and I yesterday received an email infoming that the book has been lost in transit. Fortunately, I’ve been refunded

I’ve just noted that an electronic edition iis made available, can anyone confirm it?

I wouldn’t mind to purchase that format instead. I rather appreciate the paper experience but purchasing books seems to be a sport of risk in recent times.

On mid August I ordered the book from UK book store via abebooks and I yesterday received an email infoming that the book has been lost in transit. Fortunately, I’ve been refunded
Same thing happened to me for Scott’s Blackbird book, though I didn’t go through Mortons, but some UK Magazine Sales site.

[.......]

I wouldn’t mind to purchase that format instead. I rather appreciate the paper experience but purchasing books seems to be a sport of risk in recent times.
The book seems to be sold out already and is only available at a few webshops that still happen to have a copy.

The risk you mention is the result of the new EU tax rules introduced last year for products entering the EU from outside countries like UK and US. That causes delays and problems at customs that can't handle all the extra work.
I have some bad experiences with that also and now avoid ordering second hand books via abebooks from UK or US but buy from webshops within EU.

If you really want a hardcover of the book you can still buy one but it won't be cheap. Check your forum mailbox.

The lesson here is clear: vote early and vote often. When a new book of mine becomes available, buy it quick... and buy it in larger multiples as an investment for the day when stocks run low and hordes of disappointed fans decide they'd be willing to pay insane markups. Why buy one when you can get one hundred at one hundred times the price... and then sell 'em for a bagrillion time more?

Think of each of my books as an NFT-era Guttenberg Bible.