Boeing B-47 Stratojet & B-52 Stratofortress; Origins & Evolution by Scott Lowther

I have an ad in a UK magazine saying that this book will be available from WH Smith's from 15 September.
if true a copy from the Oxford branch will find a new home.

The book's currently being edited, so that chances of it reaching WH Smith's tomorrow are fairly slender. I would hazard an educated guess at availability in late October/nearly November.

Thanks for the update. Whenever it shows up my sticky paws and electric plastic are waiting.

A minor correction (and the reason why I didn't immediately leap into this): The book description has been updated, changing the original "150 pages" to the more accurate "280 pages." I would estimate 250 more likely, but it's still a little unclear *exactly* how long it will be in the end.

Whelp... kinda misjudged that. The first digital proof came in from the graphic designers at 384 pages, plus or minus.

Production work on Boeing B-47 Stratojet & B-52 Stratofortress: Origins and Evolution is now complete. The title will go to press shortly.

Now to sell 50,000 copies. In a world where sparkly vampires and teen dystopias and self-serving auto-hagiographies by politicians sell millions of copies, this should be doable, yes?

As soon as W H Smiths aka Smaugs or Amatheft have a copy. I will be on the list.

I scrolled through a not-quite-final version of the text (this one, because it just happened to be on this computer) to snag a few screenshots showing what sort of stuff is in this book.

Attachments

• b47-52 Image5.jpg
    b47-52 Image5.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 199
  • b47-52 Image6.jpg
    b47-52 Image6.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 158
  • b47-52 Image1.jpg
    b47-52 Image1.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 150
  • b47-52 Image2.jpg
    b47-52 Image2.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 145
  • b47-52 Image3.jpg
    b47-52 Image3.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 146
  • b47-52 Image4.jpg
    b47-52 Image4.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 162
For reasons which escape me now a friend of mine and I used to use the slogan "B52s are beautiful!" back in the late 60s and early 70s to rile certain of our hairier or bearded teachers. Although I remain as unpleasant as I was then, B52s and B47s (they lived at Brize Norton till I was 8) are a part of my childhood and adulthood. Those JPEGs are going on my phone till Smaugs get the book!

For reasons which escape me now a friend of mine and I used to use the slogan "B52s are beautiful!" back in the late 60s and early 70s to rile certain of our hairier or bearded teachers.
I suspect that was related to something like this:

s-l1600.jpg

I am almost done with the A-12/SR-71 book (what's the proper term?). From the screenshots posted it seems like Scott is continuing one feature that i really appreciated, which is to present the vehicle being discussed alongside the competition or whatever it was supposed to replace, often in the same drawing to the same scale. All too often it is difficult to grasp relative sizes of air vehicles from an individual picture.
Having worked in the aerospace industry, and done my fair share of CAD myself, i can tell you that the most illuminating thing one can do in presentations is putting a silhouette of a man to scale next to the vehicle. People react very surprised the first time they see it!

i can tell you that the most illuminating thing one can do in presentations is putting a silhouette of a man to scale next to the vehicle. People react very surprised the first time they see it!
Indeed. Paul Matt's XB-70 diagram set the standard.

Attachments

• xb70 paul matt.jpg
    xb70 paul matt.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 160
A wee bit late for inclusion into the book, a pair of recent ebay acquisitions:

B-52G info: better late than never

My book on the B-52 is now being printed (I understand that copies physically exist), so it is perhaps a little late for additions and revisions. Still, I remain on the lookout for relevant information. To that end I recently plunked down a fair chunk of change for a pair of documents on ebay… a set of blueprints of the B-52G cockpit, and a B-52G mockup review. I eagerly await their arrival. I have high hopes that the US Postal Service won’t drop a tractor axle dipped in anthrax onto the package.

These will likely end up in the catalog for monthly rewards. If they are of interest, and/or if you would like to help fund the acquisition and preservation of such things, please consider signing on either for the APR Patreon or the APR Monthly Historical Documents Program.

Attachments

• ebay B-52G 2021-11-18.jpg
    ebay B-52G 2021-11-18.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 119
Email today from Amazon:-

We regret to report that the release of the following item has been cancelled:

Lowther, Scott "Boeing B-47 Stratojet and B-52 Stratofortress: Origins and Evolution"

Our supplier has informed us that this item is no longer available.

It still appears on the Mortons website so can I assume publication is still going ahead?

Email today from Amazon:-

We regret to report that the release of the following item has been cancelled:

Lowther, Scott "Boeing B-47 Stratojet and B-52 Stratofortress: Origins and Evolution"

Our supplier has informed us that this item is no longer available.

It still appears on the Mortons website so can I assume publication is still going ahead?
If that has changed, they sure haven't mentioned it to *me*...

For reasons which escape me now a friend of mine and I used to use the slogan "B52s are beautiful!" back in the late 60s and early 70s to rile certain of our hairier or bearded teachers.
I suspect that was related to something like this:

s-l1600.jpg
A fellow student I knew back in college had an emblem like this with the motto "Peace on You".

Regarding the book itself, I am definitely awaiting it's delivery by post.

Got mine today too. Very nice! I like the use of The Big Bus as a size comparison in the derived transports section :)

Unfortuntately Amazon Italy (where I have my account) still rate it as "not available"......:(

1638891472011.png

Various amazon websites in the world state that the book has 280 pages, amazon.de even states that it has 150 pages.

Maybe somebody from the publisher should tell those clowns that it is 388 pages.

Various amazon websites in the world state that the book has 280 pages, amazon.de even states that it has 150 pages.

Maybe somebody from the publisher should tell those clowns that it is 388 pages.

It was originally going to be somewhere in the order of 280 pages but one thing led to another and before we knew it...

FYI: I am busy at work on Book 3. As with the prior two I can't divulge much info until Mortons is ready to go public with cover art and such, something that will be months off. But I have spent the past little while working on a set of diagrams of one particular aircraft... probably the *one* aircraft that people would look at and go "yeah, that's more awesome than the Blackbird."

Amazon in the USA shows it being available in Feb. 2022. A seller in UK has some on eBay but wants 60 USD to ship to the USA. Morton’s only wants 13 BPS which seems quite fair.

probably the *one* aircraft that people would look at and go "yeah, that's more awesome than the Blackbird."
XB-70 perhaps?

I can neither confirm nor deny.

Unless you send me a million dollars. Bribery is morally wrong, but *sufficient* bribery overcomes such limitations.

I will sell a limited number of signed & dated copies with a trio of 18X24 signed prints. This is what I'm working on for the prints:

test.png
Ao, what would these be going for? I already have the book ordered, pre-publication, from Morton's but those prints are enticing.

I will sell a limited number of signed & dated copies with a trio of 18X24 signed prints. This is what I'm working on for the prints:
Ao, what would these be going for? I already have the book ordered, pre-publication, from Morton's but those prints are enticing.

*These* prints would be exclusive to the signed books. I do plan on releasing prints as stand-alones at a later time... derivatives of these, along with the A-12, SR-71, YF-12 prints and almost certainly some prints from Book 3. Those future prints will be rolled, possibly printed on mylar, and will be tinkered-with versions of the first editions.

Maybe also11X17 prints at some time, dunno. If I do that they'll be in some sort of booklet format most likely.