Blackburn Buccaneer gun pack

Wingman

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm looking for information about the 30mm Aden gun pack which was intended for the Buccaneer. Does anyone know where I can find some more info?

Hello everyone. I'm looking for information about the 30mm Aden gun pack which was intended for the Buccaneer. Does anyone know where I can find some more info?
I've never seen any drawing published. It was not built. It was included in the original specification, so it might be in the NA39 proposal brochure.

According to Roy Boot the proposal removed the bomb bay door and filled the bay with a gun and ammunition pack mounted at the front, with space behind for additional ammo or fuel.

Pure speculation, but i wonder if it would resemble the gunlock from the Canberra B(I).6 or B(I).8:

49f6c7f138862_large.jpg

Could you fit positions for semi recessed air to air missiles on the underside whilst retaining the bomb bay?

Could you fit positions for semi recessed air to air missiles on the underside whilst retaining the bomb bay?

Likely not. If you look at what's inside an ADV Tornado, there are powered rams for ensuring that the Sparrow or AMRAAM is pushed clear of the airframe. AAMs for Buccaneer are either going to be paper designs that never eventuated or Red Top, and Red Top is likely to be mounted on an outrigger the way it was for the Lightning, while the bomb bay is going to be full of all of the things that the quick-change pallet on the Lightning had to contain. You're not going to be able to carry AAMs on the fuselage and bombs in the bay.

Any clue as to how you can add guns without losing the bomb bay? Best I can think of is adding the guns to the wing roots
1 or 2 in the bay door bulge and wrap less ammo inside the bulge?
Could work well, albeit with a slight reduction in ordnance capacity(4000 pounds to about 3000? 2500?), If all else fails, stick the guns into the wings. That approach has worked for the most part

Easier to mess with the door bulge than designing new spars and rearranging all the gubbins in the wings to make room for a couple of cannon.
Even so, putting cannon in the door bulge means you can't strafe when your bombing anyway as the guns would be inside the bay when rotated...

How about something as mundane as a gunpod on a wing pylon?
IIRC, gun pods aren't as accurate as internal guns are and also inflict aerodynamic penalties on the aircraft carrying them. Air Force Phantoms pilots had to deal with that during Vietnam when they used the gunless earlier models until the F-4E came along with its gun nose

Typhoon to Typhoon has a bit about fitting two ADENS on the P.1097 Buccaneer for AST.396.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom