Reaction score
Hi,

Who knows the Bestetti-Colombo C-3 twin engined transport aircraft,
which powered by Alfa Romeo engines ?.

hesham said:
Hi,

Who knows the Bestetti-Colombo C-3 twin engined transport aircraft,
which powered by Alfa Romeo engines ?.

As no-one seems ever to have answered that question, allow me to share three pictures of that aircraft (and a text in Italian...):

Attachments

• Bestetti C.3_01.jpg
    Bestetti C.3_01.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 267
  • Bestetti C.3_02.jpg
    Bestetti C.3_02.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 250
  • Bestetti C.3_03.jpg
    Bestetti C.3_03.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 236
  • Bestetti C.3_text.gif
    Bestetti C.3_text.gif
    64.7 KB · Views: 218
Thanks Stéphane! A rough translation:

"This time we offer three images from the Archives of the National Air and Space Museum in Washington, who asked us for an identification. This is the prototype of the Besetti C.3 photographed at the camp of the Arcore company (Milan). In the background can be seen some Ca.309s and camouflaged hangars.

The C.3 was a twin-engined tourer conceived in 1938 by Ing. Ambrogio Colombo and characterized by engines equipped with compressors: this was an unusual solution for a 4-seater aircraft but became necessary for use in Ethiopia. The complexity of the competition for light aircraft resulted in modest delays in the completion of the prototype. This work was assigned to Ing. Ermanno Bazzocchi, after the death of Columbus on March 8, 1939 while testing the SS .4. Finally completed with the Alfa 111, a 110 derivative with a compressor, the C.3 was flown by Enzo Cisaro in the late spring of 1943 but, as written in 'Dimensione Cielo', after two months and 15 hours of flight, the aircraft was lost due to "a serious oil loss and break down of the drain pipes. This, and the subsequent armistice, prevented further development of the program.

Despite being constructed for the military, no known MM. was assigned to the C.3. A recent catalogu of Italian matricole militari attribution of MM.542 refers to a "Bestetti C.3" propelled ... Alfa 115 and, therefore, appears to be a different machine from the one shown here."

Very good translation my dear Apophenia.

So it was a colonial liaison aircraft, in other words.

Some specifications for the Bestetti C.3 taken from http://www.airwar.ru/enc/other2/c3.html
Wing span: 12.50 m
Length: 8.40 m
Height: 2.50 m
Wing area: 19.60 m2
Weight:
empty, 1300 kg
maximum take-off, 1950 kg
Powerplant: 2 x PD Alfa Romeo 111 producing 155 hp
Maximum speed: 317 km/h
Cruising speed: 290 km/h
Practical range: 1600 km
Practical ceiling: 6400m
Crew: 2
Payload: 2 passengers
First flight: summer 1943
Also some more pictures together with a GA drawing taken from http://aviastar.org/air/italy/bestelli-colombo_c-3.php and http://www.airwar.ru/enc/other2/c3.html
Bestetti C.3 pic 04.jpg Bestetti C.3 pic 05.jpg Bestetti C.3 pic 06.jpg Bestetti C.3 pic 07.jpg Bestetti C.3 GA.gif

Last edited:
One interesting point I noticed, which had been taken from one of the sources for the airwar.ru entry for the Bestetti C.3 was that documentation for the type was believed to have been passed to Macchi, and this was used in the development of the MB.320 light twin. What basis that was taken I do not know.

Following my comment nearly a year ago I copied the profile view of both as a comparison and the Macchi seems to be a lot chunkier for want of a better word, but I suppose even aircraft designs put on weight with age!!

Attachments

• MB.320 comparison with Bestetti Colombo C.3.jpg
    MB.320 comparison with Bestetti Colombo C.3.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 37