Bernard Prototypes & Projects

hesham said:
hesham said:
hesham said:
Bernard Type-190T was also modified as a military aircraft Projects,one of them are;

- a three-seat long range recce airplane with Hispano engine.

- a three/four-seat combat and multi role airplane Project.

- a three-seat day bomber Project with Lorraine engine.

- a four-seat battle plane Project,with high speed capacity.

hesham said:
hesham said:
hesham said:
hesham said:
Bernard Type-190T was also modified as a military aircraft Projects,one of them are;

- a three-seat long range recce airplane with Hispano engine.

- a three/four-seat combat and multi role airplane Project.

- a three-seat day bomber Project with Lorraine engine.

- a four-seat battle plane Project,with high speed capacity.

- a military ambulance airplane Project,powered by Jupiter engine.

Hi! Bernard 80 series. These pictures shows Bernard 80. The second picture do not have a radiator. ???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_80_GR
"The Bernard 80 GR was one of three types built by different French constructors in response to a government call for an aircraft capable of setting new long distance records. A single engine monoplane with a crew of two, the 80 GR set an absolute record for flight over a closed circuit in April 1931, covering 8,960 km (5,569 mi). Modifications led to a new designation as the Bernard 81 GR but no more records were set despite several attempts."

"Variants
Bernard 80 GR : Prototype of a long-range record-breaking aircraft, powered by a single V-12 Hispano-Suiza 12Nb engine, named L'Oiseau Tango. (GR - Grand Raid - extreme long distance)
Bernard 81 GR : The 80 GR re-designated after being re-engined with a Hispano-Suiza 12Nbr driving a three-bladed (later four-bladed) propeller, re-named L'Oiseau Canari II.
Bernard 81 Bn3 : A proposed bomber variant of the 81 GR, which resulted in the Bernard 82
Bernard 82 : A bomber version, known as a bombardier de represaillies - reprisal bomber, powered by a single Hispano-Suiza 12Ybrs V-12 engine.
Bernard 84 : The L'Oiseau Canari II was re-engined with a 670 kW (900 hp) Gnome-Rhône 14Kfs two row radial engine, as the Bernard 84 but the aircraft never flew after conversion."

The Bernard 80 G.R. long-distance airplane (French) : a two-place cantilever monoplane
https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc279659/m1/6/

Attachments

• metadc279659_xl_00009.jpg
    metadc279659_xl_00009.jpg
    551.4 KB · Views: 210
  • Bernard 80 G.R..png
    Bernard 80 G.R..png
    381.1 KB · Views: 177
  • metadc279659_xl_00008.jpg
    metadc279659_xl_00008.jpg
    581.8 KB · Views: 170
  • metadc279659_xl_00010.jpg
    metadc279659_xl_00010.jpg
    519.4 KB · Views: 179
I believe these pictures shows Bernard 81(F-AKEX) with modified cockpit.
The second picture's title is Bernard 80. But cockpit shape is different from Bernard 80.
And I can't find modified shape cockpit in the third picture. ???

http://www.jeanbellis.fr/boutique/product.php?id_product=658

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/cw1/bernard80.html

Attachments

• Bernard 81GR.jpg
    Bernard 81GR.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 182
  • Bernard 81GR FRONT.jpg
    Bernard 81GR FRONT.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 135
  • bernar81 GR picture.jpg
    bernar81 GR picture.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 114
These picture shows Bernard 82 bomber version with retractable undercarriage.

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/bww1/bernard82.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_82
"The Bernard 82 was a French single-engined long-range monoplane bomber designed and built by Société des Avions Bernard. Only two prototypes were built and the type did not enter production."

"The Bernard 82 was developed from the long-range Bernard 80 GR, which had been designed to set long-distance-flight records. The all-metal Bernard 82 was a three-seat long-range bomber, known at the time as a bombardier de represaillies or reprisal bomber. The cantilever mid-wing monoplane was powered by an 860 hp (641 kW) Hispano-Suiza 12Ybrs inline piston engine. The first prototype flew from Le Bourget on 11 December 1933, and in March 1932 was joined by the second prototype. Flight testing showed the twin lateral radiators to be inadequate; they were replaced by front-mounted radiators. Landing-gear deficiencies were the most persistent difficulty encountered during testing. The retractable landing gear regularly failed; resulting in wheels-up landings. The problem was never resolved, and testing was halted in mid-1935; the production contract for ten aircraft was cancelled.

In August 1936 the second prototype was re-engined with a 650 hp (485 kW) CLM Lille 6As, a licence-built Jumo 205 diesel engine. The diesel-powered aircraft, redesignated Bernard 86, was entered into the 1936 Paris-Saigon-Paris air race. The race was run in September, but the Bernard was not ready by then, so it was not used. There were no further flight tests; the units were scrapped."

What is the bottom picture? Original shape radiator or diesel engine variant?

Attachments

• Bernard 82 with lateral radiator.jpg
    Bernard 82 with lateral radiator.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 100
  • bernard82-6.jpg
    bernard82-6.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 92
  • bernard82-4.jpg
    bernard82-4.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 93
  • bernard82-2.jpg
    bernard82-2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 105
  • bernard82-1.gif
    bernard82-1.gif
    143.6 KB · Views: 117
From Aviation magazine 1960,

the Bernard AB.13T was a three engined 12-passenger light transport Project of 1926,powered
by three Hispano-Suiza engines,of all metal construction,low-wing monoplane.

The Bernard HV.47 was a real designation.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    420.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 2.png
    2.png
    844.1 KB · Views: 67
Yes, there are a number of written references, but no pictures and no explanation for the designation. It is quite common for text that refers to the HV47 to lack a reference to the HV41, which was a real aircraft.

a friend to me saw in Gallica site,the Bernard AB12 was twice allocated,one for fighter and
anther one for transport aircraft project,I have the book; Les Avions Bernard,of course he
could be wrong or a misprint,and I am carious about the 1927 transport project,which
has no type number ?.

I think that was wrong,and maybe this transport Project of 1927 was taken the designation AB.17 ?.

Last edited:
Hi,

in 1925/26,Bernard involved in a commercial flying boat competition,and submitted a proposal,