Beriev « Printsessa » : Fate of a Russian "Princess"

ucon

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.avicopress.ru
Hi all!
New pix and drawings were added in Beriev's branch 1945-1968 in www. avicopress.ru
Regards

Attachments

• Princess.jpg
    Princess.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 764
Hi ucon,

As a fan of the SARO Princess I have to thank you for the 3v of the Beriev 'version'.

Do you have any more information on the 'Princess'?; was it a 'copy', or a planned conversion of the three built, assuming MoD would have sold them anyway? If the latter case the project would have been early 60s?, as they were scrapped in 1966.

I would love to know more.

(Scott Lowther has drawings of the US Navy experimental nuclear-engined Princess conversion)

Cheers from Oz

According to the book Beriev Design Bureau Aircraft. Volume II (1945-1968), Avico Press - Russia, the "Princess" is a project of patrol boatplane from 1949, which is equipped with six turboprops "TVD VK-2". The following picture is also taken from that book or the website of Avico Press - Russia.
item_2339.jpg

Source: www.spaceavia.com

Thank you to Ucon for posting very interesting information on those Beriev projects.
May I ask if "Princessa" was REALLY its name? It doesn't sound too much like a name a Soviet general constructor would elect to use in 1949 USSR...
As regards the next post :

"Do you have any more information on the 'Princess'?; was it a 'copy', or a planned conversion of the three built, assuming MoD would have sold them anyway? If the latter case the project would have been early 60s?, as they were scrapped in 1966" :

As dire as the economic situation of the UK might have been in the early sixties, believing that they might have sold the Saro Princess relics to the USSR sounds a little far-fetched, doesn't it? Wasn't there something known as the cold war going on at that time? (OK, there is the famous Rolls Royce's Nene and Derwent deal with the USSR as a precedent, but perhaps they wouldn't have made the same mistake twice?).
More generally, it is not very helpful nor relevant to consider systematically any non-anglo-saxon design as copied from, inspired by or equivalent to an anglo-saxon design (cf a recent post where the Tsybin RS-family was compared with the SR-71 or even the Bristol 188 (!) in complete disregard of timeline, operational requirements, and technologies used). The issue of technology transfer, legal or illegal, is often much more complex than just "copied" or "the Soviet equivalent of...". There is intelligence outside the anglo-saxon world. Why not look at it in its own right?

Might the soviet 'Princess' be an example of my German scientist is better than your German scientist? There look to be similarities between it and some proposed large Dornier and Blohm & Voss flying boats. Have a shufty on luft46 and see if anyone else can see a (tenuous) link

More pics of the Russian "Princess" from the Alternativnaya Istoriya website:

Attachments

• princess-01-680x429.JPG
    princess-01-680x429.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 127
  • princess-02.JPG
    princess-02.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 135
Stargazer, do you have a link to that site? I plugged it into google, and I got page after page of links to some Bosniak guy who is into pyramids, Atlantis, and the like.

Hi Royabulgaf,

the source; http://alternathistory.org.ua/sudba-rossiiskoi-printsessy

Hi all!
The original source is the article in Krylia Rodiny 2/2001, by well-known for all of us Konstantin Udalov aka ucon.

redstar72 said:
Hi all!
The original source is the article in Krylia Rodiny 2/2001, by well-known for all of us Konstantin Udalov aka ucon.

Thanks for the pointer, redstar72! I can confirm this after checking the magazine in question, it is in there indeed.
I may do a translation some time if Konstantin agrees to it (better still if he could provide a translation himself!)

Meanwhile, here's yet another view of the Printsessa found on the web:

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 113
Back
Top Bottom