Bendix Helicopters Model J « Whirlaway » and derivatives

jzichek

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Check out this article on the Bendix Model J Four Place Helicopter:

6259013168_b40da301e3_o.jpg

This co-axial, counter-rotating type helicopter was proposed to the US Navy Bureau of Aeronautics in 1946, which elected to pass on the design. The image gallery reproduces the original proposal document and features numerous rare, high resolution photos of the Model J under construction. Also a featured are two photos of the single place Bendix Model K. Worth checking out if you are a fan of rare helicopter designs!

-Jared

Re: Bendix Helicopters Model J « Whirlaway »

Hi Jared,
thank you for the beautiful link on the Bendix Model J.
Thanks very much for sharing :) :)

Interestingly, American Helicopter magazine presented a very similar design as the "Bendix Helicopter Model G" (see two attachments below).

The Model J (NX74102), as well as the smaller, single-seat Model K (NX41817) both carried the name Whirlaway on the side, most certainly the commercial monicker for these types but one that didn't catch up because McDonnell already had their own Whirlaway, the Model 37 or XHJD-1.

Attachments

• Bendix G (amhelimag15).jpg
    Bendix G (amhelimag15).jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 499
  • Bendix G (amhelimag16).jpg
    Bendix G (amhelimag16).jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 496

Hi Stéphane,
Good observation on the name Whirlaway :) . Never noticed it before.
Would you agree that Bendix Helicopters, Inc. may have built 2 examples of the Model J?
NX74102 is in pictures all the time, but the Gyrodyne GCA-2 is N74101 (NX74101). Could it be that together with the "'paper" assets Gyrodyne also acquired a Model J airframe?

walter said:
Hi Stéphane,
Good observation on the name Whirlaway :) . Never noticed it before.
Would you agree that Bendix Helicopters, Inc. may have built 2 examples of the Model J?
NX74102 is in pictures all the time, but the Gyrodyne GCA-2 is N74101 (NX74101). Could it be that together with the "'paper" assets Gyrodyne also acquired a Model J airframe?

Sounds pretty sensible to me. Perhaps two airframes were built but only one completed under Bendix, the second one being completed under Gyrodyne... but to me, the two neighboring registration numbers correspond to one single type allocation in the beginning.

Bendix Navy Liaison and Reconnaissance Helicopter Proposal

NARA II RG-72
Design Studies and Proposals, compiled 1931 - ca. 1959
Box 95 Bendix Navy Liaison and Reconnaissance Helicopter Proposal

From the proposal text:

"Rotor Diameter 40ft
No. of rotors 2
No. of blades per rotor 2
Spacing between rotors 2ft
Overall Length less rotor 17ft 9in
Overall Height 10ft 3in
Width between wheel centers 9ft
Maximum width of fuselage 4ft 6in

Notes on Three-View
With the elimination of the flapping hinge, it is possible to place the two rotors close together without fear of interference. This reduces overall height and parasite drag of shaft, which have hitherto constituted a drawback for the coaxial twin-rotor helicopter.

With the two-wing rotor construction, it is possible to place in such a position that required space in the hangar is reduced to a minimum.

The design of the fuselage provides excellent vision at the nose, combined with fine aerodynamic lines. There is ample width for side-by-side seating.

Vertical fin area is provided in rear of center of gravity and construction is such that this fin area can be increased and extended further back.

It will be noted that there are no exposed control cables or links.

Results Which May Confidently Be Expected
Top Speed will exceed: 120mph

Best climb on an inclined path will exceed: 900ft/min

Best Vertical climb will exceed: 600ft/min"

Three attachments for your viewing pleasure, Artist Concept 3-view, General Arrangement, Weight and Balance Diagram.

I hope this information is of interest.

bill

Attachments

• Bendix-Helicopter.jpg
    Bendix-Helicopter.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 433
  • Bendix-Navy-Liason-and-Recon-Helicopter.jpg
    Bendix-Navy-Liason-and-Recon-Helicopter.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 426
  • Bendix-Weight-and-Balance.jpg
    Bendix-Weight-and-Balance.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 404
Re: Bendix Navy Liaison and Reconnaissance Helicopter Proposal

Skyblazer said:
Quite obviously a naval variant of the Model J Whirlaway.

And here's our topic on the smaller Model K:
Perhaps some merging to be done between this and at least the Model J topic?

Sorry, I noticed the resemblance but was not sure they should be in the same topic.

Bill

Re: Bendix Navy Liaison and Reconnaissance Helicopter Proposal

Bill S said:
Sorry, I noticed the resemblance but was not sure they should be in the same topic.

Not to worry Bill! I simply suggested a merge because it will make this project more visible than if it had stayed in a topic all of its own.

Hi,

here is an artist drawing to a Flying Car and a different drawing to Model-J ?.

http://www.aviodyne.com/aboutus.html

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 3.png
    3.png
    63 KB · Views: 63
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 1.png
    1.png
    299.8 KB · Views: 97
Check out this article on the Bendix Model J Four Place Helicopter:

6259013168_b40da301e3_o.jpg

This co-axial, counter-rotating type helicopter was proposed to the US Navy Bureau of Aeronautics in 1946, which elected to pass on the design. The image gallery reproduces the original proposal document and features numerous rare, high resolution photos of the Model J under construction. Also a featured are two photos of the single place Bendix Model K. Worth checking out if you are a fan of rare helicopter designs!

-Jared
Martin Jensen was my Great Grandmothers last husband. I grew up hearing the stories from my Papa Martin about the Dole Durby, the helicopter, the MGM lion, and many other things. I am very pleased that people are still talking about these topics. Martin would be overjoyed, he was designing until the end and proud of his accomplishments.

I came across these images last week. Not as clean, but larger than those shared by @hesham in post #11.
They are marked Bendix Model J, so hopefully, right topic, right place to post! :)

Attachments

• xBendix-Model-J-3-View-Drawing.jpg
    xBendix-Model-J-3-View-Drawing.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 34
  • xBendix-Model-J-Inboard-Profile.jpg
    xBendix-Model-J-Inboard-Profile.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 35
Back
Top Bottom