• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Bell V-280 Valor

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Valor hits 200 flight hours:
Over the course of the technology demonstration period, Flail added, the aircraft was also able to show its reliability and availability.
“This configuration of tiltrotor really shows how robust it is in terms of reliability and availability because one of the tricks with proving that is you have to accumulate enough data to show that you do have a reliable system,” he said. “A lot of your critical items, your gearboxes and your blades … those are typical cost drivers downstream and today, we still have the six blades and gearboxes on this aircraft.”

yasotay

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Arguably one of the most successful Army led aircraft experiments within the last couple of decades. Now the question is can the Army translate successful test into a program? Sadly recent endeavors point to a probability of not succeeding.

Flyaway

Reaction score
Arguably one of the most successful Army led aircraft experiments within the last couple of decades. Now the question is can the Army translate successful test into a program? Sadly recent endeavors point to a probability of not succeeding.
At this stage of affairs in my view this can just be filed under needless speculation.

Last edited:

yasotay

Reaction score
At this stage of affairs in my view this can just be filed under needless speculation.
Needless, perhaps, but rendering an opinion remains an option unless the rules have changed.

V-280 clocks 200th flight hour before third flight anniversary - Vertical Mag

Last edited:

VTOLicious

Reaction score
Impressive indeed! ...The modern day XV-15 of the US Army so to say ;)

jstar

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Does anyone have a source for a good general arrangement/3-view drawing of the v-280, suitable for model making?
I have jemiba's speculative from the start of this thread, but can't find anything else anywhere.

yasotay

Reaction score
Does anyone have a source for a good general arrangement/3-view drawing of the v-280, suitable for model making?
I have jemiba's speculative from the start of this thread, but can't find anything else anywhere.
Have you tried the Bell website? They might have one there.

H_K

Reaction score
Good idea @yasotay. There’s a 360 view of the Valor on Bell’s website.

Attachments

• AD1789EA-EA7D-43A0-8791-F22B1AA5749C.jpeg
    AD1789EA-EA7D-43A0-8791-F22B1AA5749C.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 62
  • F6C22BD8-5B37-4222-BEB2-C92E12121601.jpeg
    F6C22BD8-5B37-4222-BEB2-C92E12121601.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 52
  • 4DA59347-D487-4187-87AE-0E55260EB67A.jpeg
    4DA59347-D487-4187-87AE-0E55260EB67A.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 51
  • EED8C749-BF79-41ED-AC72-2CEDABD02C63.jpeg
    EED8C749-BF79-41ED-AC72-2CEDABD02C63.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 56

yasotay

Reaction score
Good idea @yasotay. There’s a 360 view of the Valor on Bell’s website.
That 3d model is more representative of what Bell believes will be their final version of the offering for the FLRAA requirement from the U.S. Army.

jstar

Reaction score
Believe it or not, that was my first choice. Then I read all 18 pages of this thread. Then I tried the other threads using the search engine here. Then I googled for what seemed like hours, and probably was.

I will do my research first, and only when I can't find it somewhere else will I ask on a forum. Sorry if I sound snippy, but really, "did you try Bell" I've been asking Bell since, if you asked nicely, somebody like R.R. Reber, the XV-15 Project Manager, would send you swell brochures, by mail, AND pay the postage.

Last edited:

CiTrus90

Credibility is down! Kill ratio is up!
Reaction score
Believe it or not, that was my first choice. Then I read all 18 pages of this thread. Then I tried the other threads using the search engine here. Then I googled for what seemed like hours, and probably was.

I will do my research first, and only when I can't find it somewhere else will I ask on a forum. Sorry if I sound snippy, but really, "did you try Bell" I've been asking Bell since, if you asked nicely, they would send you swell brochures, by mail, and pay the postage.
Specifications

A top view blueprint is nowhere to be seen, but can be inferred given the top view and the side and front view available.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 2.png
    2.png
    555.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 3.png
    3.png
    157.7 KB · Views: 49

yasotay

Reaction score
Bell tunes new V-280 software to enhance aircraft handling qualities (Jane's Defence Weekly, Dec. 18, Pat Host)

Bell is tuning a new set of software for its V-280 Valor tiltrotor that gives the aircraft improved handling qualities, according to a company official. Ryan Ehinger, V-280 vice-president and programme director, told Janes on 15 December that this software added additional capabilities that would reduce pilot workload. This includes position hold and attitude hold, he said.
Ehinger said that software development often held up development programmes. Bell, he said, has developed and tested the V-280 software in a way that enables the company to make speedy turns of software safely. Ehinger told Janes on 17 December that Bell, through multiple fly-by-wire aircraft programmes, had developed processes, automated tools, and system integration laboratory (SIL) capabilities that supported rapid development and robust testing of flight control system software. These capabilities, Ehinger said, help to demonstrate enhanced levels of safety in proving out these flight critical systems ahead of flight test, as well as achieve substantial reductions in development cost and schedule. Bell’s V-280 SIL incorporates cockpit, flight control, hydraulic, avionics, and electrical systems that are highly representative of the actual aircraft to robustly and accurately evaluate the V-280 in normal and failure mode conditions.
Auto-coding and automated testing tools used in Bell’s V-280 SIL reduce the opportunity for human error, increase testing robustness, and result in the ability to accelerate software release cycle times from months to weeks. Ehinger said that Bell had doubled the software development efficiency as measured by software lines of code (SLOC) per hour compared with legacy processes.
The third anniversary of the V-280’s first flight is on 18 December 2020. Since then, the aircraft has performed 200 flight hours and demonstrated all the key performance parameters (KPPs) that the company sought to perform. These include high speed, reach – which Ehinger called a combination of speed and range – and low speed agility.
Bell has also demonstrated specific and operationally relevant test points with the V-280, such as open door flight, deploying a fast rope, performing sling load operations, and autonomous flight. Bell has exceeded 300 knots top speed with the V-280. Ehinger said that the company had originally intended to achieve at least 280 knots, but was able to achieve a little more out of the aircraft thanks in large part to the efficiency of the tiltrotor in cruise mode. Bell is looking forward to having experimental pilots fly the V-280 in 2021. Ehinger said that Bell had flown more than 12 sorties with four different US Army experimental pilots over the programme’s history.
The V-280 and Sikorsky-Boeing’s SB>1 Defiant coaxial rotorcraft are participating in the US Army’s Future Long Range Assault Aircraft (FLRAA) competition. Sikorsky-Boeing said on 17 December that the aircraft had 1,500 hours in its SIL, 135 hours in its propulsion systems test bed (PSTB), and had 31 flights with 26 hours in the air.
The SB>1 reached 211 knots in straight and level flight on 12 October and 232 knots in a descent with about two-thirds propeller torque and engine power. The Defiant on 9 June reached 205 knots in flight while using less than 50% of the installed propeller power. Sikorsky-Boeing declined to disclose what it has planned for the Defiant in 2021.

H_K

Reaction score
Sikorsky-Boeing said on 17 December that the aircraft had 1,500 hours in its SIL, 135 hours in its propulsion systems test bed (PSTB), and had 31 flights with 26 hours in the air.

So the SB-1 Defiant has only flown 8 hours in the last 6 months? (In June the total was 18 flight hours)

What’s wrong?

yasotay

Reaction score
Sikorsky-Boeing said on 17 December that the aircraft had 1,500 hours in its SIL, 135 hours in its propulsion systems test bed (PSTB), and had 31 flights with 26 hours in the air.

So the SB-1 Defiant has only flown 8 hours in the last 6 months? (In June the total was 18 flight hours)

What’s wrong?
Newer technology I suspect. While there is a significant amount of information on tilt rotors out there including operational deployment, the coaxial rotor compound helicopter has relatively little data to go on. Especially when you significantly size up the aircraft. There are more than likely a number of areas that you have to work your way through methodically to make sure you have a safe aircraft.

yasotay

Reaction score