Bell V-280 Valor

yasotay

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
That was my thoughts too, I had always thought the V-280 was a proof-of-concept demonstrator and now it's done it's final flight test that's what it seems to be. Mind you, it does open up a possible commercial line of tilt-rotor transports doesn't it ---
It would appear that Leonardo has elected to use this technique with their Clear Skies tilt rotor project.

sferrin

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Couldn't the wing/engine/proprotor combination just be transferred to the V-22 ?
Indeed it could. Would not be surprised to find out that this idea is being considered by USMC/USAF.

The V-280 has a pair of T64-GE-419s at 4750 shp. The V-22 has a pair of RR T406s at 6150 shp. (I could swear they were looking at the possibility of fitting the GE38, from the CH-53K, on them.)

yasotay

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Couldn't the wing/engine/proprotor combination just be transferred to the V-22 ?
Indeed it could. Would not be surprised to find out that this idea is being considered by USMC/USAF.

The V-280 has a pair of T64-GE-419s at 4750 shp. The V-22 has a pair of RR T406s at 6150 shp. (I could swear they were looking at the possibility of fitting the GE38, from the CH-53K, on them.)
The RR engines have been modified for vertical operations. While the GE engine "could" be modified as well, that is $$. Doubt that would be resourced.

kitnut617

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score

The RR engines have been modified for vertical operations. While the GE engine "could" be modified as well, that is $$. Doubt that would be resourced.
Would the GE38 have to be modified to operate vertically, if they go with the same engine architecture of the V-280? I'd have thought just a new gearbox to handle the additional power

sferrin

Reaction score

My main point was the hp difference between the V-280 and V-22. That would have to be addressed before swapping wings/rotors/engines.

kitnut617

Reaction score

My main point was the hp difference between the V-280 and V-22. That would have to be addressed before swapping wings/rotors/engines.
But would it matter, just been looking at the specifications of both
V-22 empty 31,818lb V-280 empty 33,069lb
V-22 Max TOW 55,000lb V-280 Max TOW 57,320lb

sferrin

Reaction score

I doubt it's that simple else the Army would have just bought V-22s.

yasotay

Top Contributor
Reaction score

@sferrin - my mistake. You are correct. If they were to revise the wing to V-280 format there would be no need to certify the GE Engine for vertical operations. A standardized engine would certainly be of benefit to the USMC I would think.

mil

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
at what altitude the V-280 flew at a cruising speed of 280 knots

yasotay

Top Contributor
Reaction score
@mil - I suspect it was done at several altitudes. This leads to the real question of could it "cruise" at lower altitude and still make the range? If Bell is accurate with their statements they demonstrated the capabilities laid out in the requirements documents. These documents have specific mission profiles that must be demonstrated.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
To my knowledge, the Valor is not pressurized or not intended to. In that regards only, having a cruise speed perf achieved well over 10kft (the alt above which you would need to provide O2 to the passengers), will be irrelevant for the US Army...

yasotay

Top Contributor
Reaction score
To my knowledge, the Valor is not pressurized or not intended to. In that regards only, having a cruise speed perf achieved well over 10kft (the alt above which you would need to provide O2 to the passengers), will be irrelevant for the US Army...
You are correct the Army is looking for minimum acceptable performance within cost. No pressurization, no folding anything. So it is likely that the V-280 is achieving the speed below 10K feet. In fact I think I recall them boasting that they could go much further on a bag of gas if they could climb to 20K.

F-14D

I really did change my personal text
Reaction score
Given the way and how fast Army wants troops to enter/exit, pressurization would be difficult to do, given those doors. Of course for ferry flights,O2 could be supplied to the crew and then they could fly higher.

bobbymike

Reaction score

SteveO

Reaction score
You are correct the Army is looking for minimum acceptable performance within cost. No pressurization, no folding anything. So it is likely that the V-280 is achieving the speed below 10K feet. In fact I think I recall them boasting that they could go much further on a bag of gas if they could climb to 20K.
I wonder if they have considered autonomous high altitude ferry/self deployment flights? The aircrew can arrive in the pressurised comfort of an airliner.

I’d like to see a higher flying pressurised variant for the STOVL carrier AEW/ISTAR role too.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
@SteveO : They did mention a trans-oceanic ferry range* and autonomous flight. But it's unclear yet if that includes autonomous ferrying.

*at least enough to cross the south Atlantic or jump across the north Atlantic route.

yasotay

Top Contributor
Reaction score
The only negative is that the US Army does not already use this engine. This would mean that they would retain three engine types in inventory. That said, it is a damned good engine, that "takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'" (old catch phrase for an American watch maker).

Firefinder

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
The only negative is that the US Army does not already use this engine. This would mean that they would retain three engine types in inventory. That said, it is a damned good engine, that "takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'" (old catch phrase for an American watch maker).
Through since the Army is looking at using the Valor to replace the Blackhawk it does mean that one of the engines will slowly be dropped over the coming years. Also it wasnt that long ago that the army had 3 engine types in service when the Kiowas were last flying in 2015 so its not that big of a deal.

Plus a version of that engine is used by the other branches else so that will help offset the costs a bit.

yasotay

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Through since the Army is looking at using the Valor to replace the Blackhawk it does mean that one of the engines will slowly be dropped over the coming years. Also it wasnt that long ago that the army had 3 engine types in service when the Kiowas were last flying in 2015 so its not that big of a deal.

Plus a version of that engine is used by the other branches else so that will help offset the costs a bit.
Agree 100%. However a "sound bite" for the Army was reducing the logistics footprint of the force.