• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Bell Model 409 / YAH-63 attack helicopter (AAH contender)

Stargazer2006

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks to you all for the great recent posts! :)

yasotay

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Having had opportunity to see YAH-63 up close I can tell you the huge blades were probably the heaviest wide cord blades I have seen. Then they were designed to take multiple 23 mm and keep working. I have an alternate idea on the jettisonable ammo drum. Given that the helicopter was design to hover and shoot at Soviet tank divisions go the a refuel/rearm point and repeat, the jettisonable drum might have been a proposal for rapid rearm. I say this because at the time of this effort US Army helicopters only flew at nap of the earth. Time between engine fail and landing was minimal.

I agree that two blade systems are usually lighted and with the lift from the wide cord probably meant slower rotation speed and less transonic noise from the tips.

Kiltonge

Greetings Earthling
Reaction score
JohnR said:
What; if any, was the advantage/disadvantage of using a two bladed rotor?
My aerodynamics are second-hand but I believe the factors are:

1. Gives a more solid disk and hence more lift than multi-blade of equivalent diameter: better for hovering and low-speed but poorer at high-speed
2. Less drag
3. Less complicated hub, very useful for maintenance and reliability

and as yasotay points out:

4. Greater ballistic tolerance as the individual blade structures are larger

This diagram shows the 214ST's huge 33-inch-chord blades well. The only hubs more simple than that are the rigid and semi-rigid hubs on Eurohelis.

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1979/1979%20-%202449.html

and the 409 had 40-inch-chord!

Edit: also, high inertia for auto-rotations!

flateric

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a125642.pdf

Attachments

Mark Nankivil

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Good Day All -

I have become the happy and grateful caretaker of a significant number of 4x5 negatives of models that were tested in the LTV/Vought Low Speed Wing Tunnel (LSWT) along with a number of the test reports. As I sort thru the whole lot (guessing 4,000+ negatives), there is plenty there to share as they get scanned and identified.

Here is a YAH-63 wind tunnel model (Bell is just up the road from Vought - makes sense they tested there) along with different components of the airframe.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

AeroFranz

Reaction score
Very cool. Those are all hard components to get a good indication of the drag coefficient (lots of separated flow).
Makes sense to do a wind tunnel test to refine the assumptions.

yasotay

Reaction score
In this case it was all fat and slow.

yasotay

Reaction score
From Dr. Mike Scully's Book (Adventures in Low Disk Loading VTOL Design, NASA/TP—2018–219981)

The specification requirement for cruise speed (level flight airspeed at MCP) was 145 to 175 KTAS. The GCT cruise speed for YAH-64 was 141 KTAS; see Table 3 in the AEFA final report [28]. The YAH- 64 Phase II proposal included some modifications to overcome small performance shortfalls so 145 KTAS seemed possible. The GCT cruise speed for YAH-63 was 122 KTAS; see Table 2 in the AEFA final report [27]. The original YAH-63 Phase II (P2) proposal included no performance modifications. We now anticipated a modified YAH-63 P2 proposal with major changes to overcome such a large performance shortfall. This shortfall was a surprise to the SSEB...
While we continued to work on the YAH-64 evaluation and other YAH-63 performance issues, YAH-63 cruise speed now consumed most of our effort.

Last edited by a moderator:

yasotay

Reaction score
I am GUESSING it was 2X per C-141.