Bell Model 207 Sioux Scout

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
Folks,

Does anyone have a 3-view drawing of the Bell Model 207 Sioux Scout (see below)?

regards,

Greg

Attachments

• bell_207.jpg
    bell_207.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 835
I have a couple of pics from Putnam's "Bell Aircraft" but no 3-view drawing.

Yes, me too - it seems especially difficult to find a drawing though.

Regards,

Greg

Think of this as a drawing kit...

Attachments

• Ranger 3 View.JPG
    Ranger 3 View.JPG
    546.6 KB · Views: 846
  • Sioux Scout Front View.JPG
    Sioux Scout Front View.JPG
    322.5 KB · Views: 725
  • Sioux Scout Side View.JPG
    Sioux Scout Side View.JPG
    667.9 KB · Views: 682
  • Sioux Scout Top View.JPG
    Sioux Scout Top View.JPG
    475.9 KB · Views: 635
  • Sioux Scout.JPG
    Sioux Scout.JPG
    593.2 KB · Views: 259
Progress. Purple lines are from TT's Model 47 drawing; blue lines from TT's 207 drawings. A lot lines up; a few things don't (like the landing skids, clearly not Model 47 standard, at least in placement). I expect to get it down to the rivet patterns eventually.

Attachments

• scoutrecon1.gif
    scoutrecon1.gif
    7.6 KB · Views: 176
Orionblamblam said:
Tailspin Turtle said:

Sigh... fine...

:p

CAD work is now underway. So... who's willing to throw me a grant? I'm not greedy... a hundred grand will do just fine...

100,000 Thankyous are on their way.... ;)...probably not what you meant but still :D

Regards,

Greg

A better resolution picture of the image posted at the top of the page.

Developed in 1963 by Textron's Bell Helicopter Company, Fort Worth, Texas, the Sioux Scout was presented to the Army Aviation Museum at Ft. Rucker, Ala., for permanent display. The Sioux Scout was developed to prove the concept of an integrated helicopter weapons system.

Source: Bell promotional photo

Topic moved to a more appropriate section.

Attachments

• Bell 207.jpg
    Bell 207.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 172
Bell Helicopter Company photos of Model 207 Sioux Scout.

Source:
http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/16/t/56710.aspx

Attachments

• 207012.jpg
    207012.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 199
  • 207011.jpg
    207011.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 173
  • 207006.jpg
    207006.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 207008.jpg
    207008.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 128
  • 207007.jpg
    207007.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 149
  • 207004.jpg
    207004.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 160
  • 207002.jpg
    207002.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 173
I have always day dreamed about the Sioux Scout with a small turbine engine and a four blade rigid rotor sytem. Probably need a new tail rotor too, but ... what a fun aircraft that would have been to fly.

address https://vtol.org/store/department/novelties-8.cfm?killnav=1

address http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/bell-207-47-sioux-scout-prototype-helicopter

Source: Le Fana de L'Aviation 2000-07 (#368), page 16, in an article about the Lockheed AH-56A Cheyenne.

Attachments

• Bell_207_Sioux_Scout_Fana_July_2000_n368_page16.jpg
    Bell_207_Sioux_Scout_Fana_July_2000_n368_page16.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 338
I know, not a what ifs thread, but I could not resist.

Attachments

• newsiscout.jpg
    newsiscout.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 295
yasotay said:
..., but I could not resist.

But please, no with such a chopped off transition from the rotor to the tail section ! ;)

Attachments

• newsiscout_mod.JPG
    newsiscout_mod.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 231
It is in short term storage at the Army Aviation Museum. Probably will be put back on display when the new extension is completed in a couple years.

Ron Downey said:
Bell 207 Sioux Scout Photos
A few photos of the Bell 207 Sioux Scout prototype helicopter of 1963.

From Wikipedia:The Bell 207 Sioux Scout was a modified Bell 47 helicopter, developed by Bell Helicopter under contract from the United States Army, as a proof-of-concept demonstrator for the Bell D-255 helicopter gunship design, featuring a tandem cockpit, stub wings, and a chin-mounted gun turret.
Download here or here (2.6 Megs)

Source: http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com/2020/04/bell-207-sioux-scout-photos.html

You posted some drawings the appear to be pages from an original booklet that Bell produced about the 207 project. I got most of that book from Ft. Rucker where the one example of the 207 is housed. The Army's book at Rucker has pages missing. There were about 15 copies of this book passed out to key people. I'm looking for a complete book or the missing pages, most of the people that got books are dead. Bell says they gave everything to the Army. Where did you get that copy of that cross section drawing.

After getting DOD clearance, I went to Rucker and was granted access to the 207. We took hundreds of pics and detailed measurements.
I'm two years of intense work into duplicating a 207.

You posted some drawings the appear to be pages from an original booklet that Bell produced about the 207 project. I got most of that book from Ft. Rucker where the one example of the 207 is housed. The Army's book at Rucker has pages missing. There were about 15 copies of this book passed out to key people. I'm looking for a complete book or the missing pages, most of the people that got books are dead. Bell says they gave everything to the Army. Where did you get that copy of that cross section drawing.

After getting DOD clearance, I went to Rucker and was granted access to the 207. We took hundreds of pics and detailed measurements.
When you say "I'm two years of intense work into duplicating a 207", do you mean that you are building a flying 207?

When you say "I'm two years of intense work into duplicating a 207", do you mean that you are building a flying 207
Yes a full size copy, but with improvements to address the tail rotor bearing issues Bell had originally flying over 120mph. We have addressed the overheating problems as well that plagued the original ship. We have build a blue printed Lycoming 540 that should give us 325hp
I have several 47s one of was a H13 gunship equipped with two functional M37 Brownings. Warbird Digest did a photo shoot last month to go with article on the build, suppose to be out this spring I believe. So......This is not a first attempt at building a helicopter but it is a complex project.

Well I wish the best of luck to you and your team in this endeavor. It would be great to see the progenitor of all modern attack helicopters flying again.

No joy - those were from a collection of lines drawings of various Bell helicopters that I happened to xerox many years ago when I worked there.

When you say "I'm two years of intense work into duplicating a 207", do you mean that you are building a flying 207
Yes a full size copy, but with improvements to address the tail rotor bearing issues Bell had originally flying over 120mph. We have addressed the overheating problems as well that plagued the original ship. We have build a blue printed Lycoming 540 that should give us 325hp
I have several 47s one of was a H13 gunship equipped with two functional M37 Brownings. Warbird Digest did a photo shoot last month to go with article on the build, suppose to be out this spring I believe. So......This is not a first attempt at building a helicopter but it is a complex project.
Keep us posted please.. pictures if possible. Be very interesting to see this flying.