• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey - Development and Proposed Variants

yasotay

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Bottom left is a Stop Fold Tilt Rotor

RLBH

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Don't think I've ever seen anything on the drawing in the lower left hand corner.
As it's described as an 'artist's concept', the picture may be everything on that particular stopped-rotor concept. Since it features the other wonder-tech of 1980s aeronautics, the forward-swept wing, an artist's (or marketeer's) fancy seems quite likely to me.

Interesting nuggets of information about the SV-22 on there. It could have been a very capable aircraft, and could conceivably have got some export orders.

The D-340 gets my vote on sheer adorableness, even without a specific application for it!

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
From; A history of U.S. Coast Guard aviation.

Attachments

elmayerle

Reaction score
From; A history of U.S. Coast Guard aviation.
That would be a tempting variant to model, along with the SV-22B. I've been sorely tempted to also do one in US Forest Service markings as a fire bomber using a mini-MAFSS and taking on water from a lake in hover mode.

elmayerle

Reaction score
Yet another interesting possibility. Lots of potential uses for the older and inaccurate V-22 kits (in 1/72, essentially any kit but Hasegawa's - note that the picture of the Blackdog engine nacelle details for this one have the bottom access doors hinged on the wrong side, they are hinged on the bottom and have struts holding them open; in 1/48 I do believe Italieri updated theirs to be reasonably accurate but check carefully).

RavenOne

Reaction score
Then there is this Bell pipe dream.
Unless you have read Dale Brown’s Hammerheads and the subsequent novels involve The Border Security Force , disbanded US cUstoms Service (sounds familiar decade and half after publication when USBP and Customs formed CBP) and UsCG , in Storming Heaven. The fictional BSF flies the V-22 Osprey In his books.

Cheers

RavenOne

Reaction score
Slightly digressing the first pair of JGSDF V-22 Ospreys have arrived by ship. Prior to this the Japanese air and ground crew worked up and trained with the Marine Corps at MCAS New River with their V-22.

elmayerle

Reaction score
Btw attended International Military Helicopter conference last week and came across the Bell booth. They Are advertising VIP configuration for V-22 But nothing like HMX-1 birds

Cheers.

View attachment 628450View attachment 628451
Current HMX-1 birds are primarily cargo haulers with passenger capacity rather than executive transporters. There were proposals for a "White Top" VM-22B but there were some drawbacks that didn't see it compete (engine exhaust impingement on the ground is more problematic for VIP aircraft, as one concern). ISTR that the back ramp was replaced by a stairway.